Saturday, March 31, 2018

Gutter news

It's amazing what we'll do when on the crest of an indignant wave, isn't it? No? Well, perhaps it's just me, then, but when I make an appointment with a company to come and clean out the gutters at the crumbly cottage and they fail to turn up not once, but twice, my cup of indignation overflows and becomes a veritable tsunami.

The first time said company didn't arrive at the allotted time last Monday, someone called me and asked if it would be okay if they came later in the day. I agreed, but after thumb twiddling for several hours, they never showed up at all. I called them. The woman who answered sounded surprised and apologised. We made another appointment for Friday morning, me forgetting until some hours later that it would be Good Friday – not an official public holiday here, but many people take the day off. Good Friday for them, but not good for me as it turned out.

The result was that Koos and I didn't hold our combined breaths yesterday morning (being Friday), which was just as well as by early afternoon, we had accepted what we'd anticipated: no one came. All the same, I was more than a bit cross; hence the wave of indignation.

"It's all right," said Koos. "I thought we could do it ourselves, anyway, so let's do just that," he finished before going back to his laptop.
High on my surfboard of ire, I wasn't letting it stop there.
"Right," I agreed. "Let's do it now. It's dry now, and it might rain later, so let's get on with it."
Koos gave me a slightly pained look, but, bless him, didn't argue.

I should say that in my mind I was having a 'so there' conversation with the gutter people along the lines being gutted they hadn't come (sorry) and the gutter being where they belonged. And then, why hadn't they let me know? And then again, who needed them anyway? It's a pity I'll have to wait until Tuesday to do this, though, as no doubt my huge roller wave of righteous annoyance will have subsided to a mild swell by then and the satisfaction of my verbal tongue poking will be similarly diminished.

Koos up the ladder. I followed him, so you can see
the point where I got to cleaning the fascia boards

Anyway, outside we went, hauled out the ladder and took it in turns to go up to the gutters. Koos cleaned out the accumulated leaf mould of several years, after which I went up and cleaned the fascia boards. This doesn't sound like much I know, but if you understand I am very very nervous of climbing ladders, and I'm absolutely terrified of descending them, this was quite a feat for me. Added to that, the house is built on a dyke, so on one side, the neighbour's path slopes down to the lower level. The climbing height thus became correspondingly greater as did my stomach flips. Still, I was brought up never to ask someone to do something for me that I wouldn't do myself, so this meant I was honour bound to do my share, given that it was me insisting it couldn't be put off to a warmer day.

Some of the gunk that came out of the gutter
Anyway, we did it. Both sides of the house. And we were immensely proud of ourselves for our efforts.  Not only do we now have cleared gutters with nice clean fascia boards, we have also saved quite a bit of cash, so some of this was justly spent on toasting our success last night. Well, who wouldn't after such courage?

Have a lovely Easter weekend allemaal. More to come soon!




18 comments:

  1. Hi Val - I'd have been steaming too ... but not having 'a Koos' around I'd have to have waited. Well done on getting it all done and I bet you'll have done a better job than the workmen. Now enjoy the weekend - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Hilary! Thanks. And yes, I think we probably have done a better job. Happy Easter to you too.

      Delete
  2. All I could think about while reading of your rolling wave of indignant ire were the words of the following poem; "the fog rolls in on little cat feet..."
    And I have a similar "rocky" relationship with ladders.
    Good job, Val and Koos! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Dale, I'm glad there was no fog involved, or I definitely wouldn't have been up that ladder. Thank you, my friend! xx

      Delete
  3. well done you two! It's amazing what you can achieve if you have to ..I have passed your inspiring post on to OH, whose DIY skills can be summed up as ...none!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Carol. Poor DH. I don't blame him, but lucky for him, he doesn't have me snapping at his heels. Koos, on the other hand, will do much for a quiet life, even climbing ladders on a cold March day :)

      Delete
  4. Bravo! You are awesome, Val! Koos too. A good team and a funny story. Ride that wave and have fun when Tuesday comes! (steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph! I'll try and keep the wave going :)

      Delete
  5. That's brave if you're terrified. I am not particularly bothered about going up ladders, etc. but I know when I am scared it can sometimes make me feel a bit dizzy or not quite my usual astute and careful self (hem hem). Very impressed with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny. I have to keep doing it as practice for the summer when I need to climb lock ladders, so I have to down my wobblies then anyway. But you're right about getting dizzy. I dare not look down at all.

      Delete
  6. Well done you two, and Happy Easter. So it happens over there too - the non-show of the tradesmen. We have a small hole in the kitchen ceiling due to re-alignment of light fittings, and I have found a Handyman who agrees to do it. Stayed home as you did on Day 1, in vain. Heard nothing, rang next day, said he would arrange the next week and ring me with a day. Still no call. He says he want to do it, but when?? I will ring one more time, after Easter, and then move on. Unfortunately, it is not something we can do ourselves :( So impressed you went up a ladder!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, it sounds as if it's the same the world over. What is it with these people? It's as if they don't need the work. I never understand poor customer service. Good luck with finding someone to do yours!

      Delete
  7. I too would have felt as you too Val but I probably wouldn't have waited 'till Tuesday to complain if there was an email address for the said company! My OH would have said pretty much as Koos did, but if I'd suggested it NOW he'd have said oh no, I'd not planned on it for today! Good on you Koos and you too Val for climbing ladders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's made me suspicious is that they have no email address and no phone number on their website, Carol. It all looks very professional, but they clearly don't want to be contacted. I have a phone number because they called me the first time, but of course it's Easter weekend and no one will be there till Tuesday. As for our OHs, Koos is very obliging and actually very good at these things.

      Delete
  8. Oh good for you, Val - and a poke in the eye for all those traders who say they’ll do something and then don’t!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I'm afraid it's a common problem the world over, but it feels good to have done it ourselves!

      Delete
  9. Well done! It seems to be a 'thing' these days for trades people not to show up.
    Happy Easter, I hope it's a lovely relaxing one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, Maria. We all seem to suffer from the same frustrations. Thank you for the sympathy :)

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)