Wednesday, April 11, 2018

A late blog is better than a late blog

I love blogging as most of you know, and I love reading blogs. I try to post a blog every week at the weekend, but sometimes life gets in the way and I don't get round to it. That has happened this week for a number of reasons, some of which I will elaborate on, because after all, that's what a blog is for, isn't it? Well, sort of. We write about life, its meaning and everything, among other tales of nonsense and irrelevance. I do, anyway.

So why is my post late this week? Some reasons are good and one rather sucks a bit.

But taking the good first. Now the weather is at last cheering up (hooray, I hear you say; Val will stop moaning) and we've had some real sunshiny and warm days, there is the opportunity to go outside and work on the barge, or in the garden. I spent several hours doing both at the weekend and there is plenty left to be done, so this could mean more late blogs. But as my heading says, better a late blog than a late (or deceased) blog.

Former spot

Firstly, though, last Thursday, we had to move the Vereeniging from one spot to another (all of about six metres) because a neighbour was returning after several months absence and wanted his place back. I'd been occupying it since last October after my hellingbeurt as it is lighter and brighter than being next to a large clipper that dwarfs me. Still, I was instructed to move and so we did. Now you'd think this would be a ten minute job, wouldn't you? So would I except for the fact I know there's no such thing as a ten minute job when it comes to boats. A mere shift like this means untying numerous ropes, adjusting electric cables and moving gangplanks. Then everything has to be retied again to the new neighbour and to other bollards on the quay, a process usually accompanied by much head scratching as a certain Koos decides what is the 'proper' way to secure the barge (if it were down to me it would be a much more random affair, but I know he's right).

New Spot

Next up, I attacked the green layer that has grown on almost everything over the winter. This includes the the Vereeniging, the Hennie H and areas of the crumbly cottage, especially the white stripe of rendering all round the bottom of the house; a stripe that gets larger as we go down the side path of the neighbour's house. Following my meanness to the greenness, I repainted said white stripe, so that took me the best part of a nice long afternoon. Very satisfying, especially now we've got clean fascia boards (and gutters too). The crumbly cottage is looking slightly less crumbly.

A de-greened Hennie H

The last reason for my postponed post was less pleasant. We arrived back in Rotterdam on Monday to find we'd had a break-in sometime over the weekend. No one had heard or seen anything (city life, I guess), but as always, the inconvenience and indignation at the invasion of personal space outweighs everything else. There was nothing taken as we have nothing to take, but dealing with the police and the aftermath took time and emotional energy.

And there I was thinking we were immune to such things here. I now realise I've been the victim of more thefts since I've lived in Europe than I ever was in South Africa.

We live and learn. Have a good week, allemaal

15 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your break in. Home invasions are a terrible drain on your emotions, hope you will recover asap. New locks? Have a safe week and send us some of that nice weather you are bragging about - it's been grey and wet here for about a hundred years!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how that works, isn't it Jude? It's happened to me several times in my life, but the emotions don't change. Thank you for the sympathy, and yes, new locks are a must. It's grey here today too, but it has been lovely, so that was a great respite.xx

      Delete
  2. I am sorry you have had a break-in Val, always very disturbing whether something goes missing or not. It makes you feel less secure in your home. Well done on all the green-cleaning - a lot of hard work. We get that green on our wood verandah balustrades, and I have to get scrubbing on a regular basis. I guess it is good for the arm muscles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the sympathy, Patricia. You are right; it is disturbing!

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, Val! I’m sorry to read about your break in, was there much damage done on entry? I can just imagine the type of dialogue between you and Koos over the proper mooring of Vereeniging. Must make a difference to your discussions on how to cook the green beans! Wow that was a lot of de-greening and painting for one weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colin. The damage was not too bad, all things considered. Chewed wood where a lever had been inserted to break the locks, broken locks, but apart from the turned out trinket drawers, open cupboards and other signs of rifling through hour things, there wasn’t any damage. Yes, I was quite pleased with the degreening efforts too! :)

      Delete
  4. I feel the need to add: all the police people were stars! Good-natured, empathic, professional and full of humour when they sensed we were ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they were. Very nice. All of them xxx

      Delete
  5. Interestingly enough, before I landed upon your last paragraphs, I was looking at the photo above, surprised at how congested it looked on the harbour. Thinking of how many souls are living in such close quarters and how urban it really is, even though you are living on the water. I suppose it should come as no shock, the crime that accompanies this. I am sorry to hear of your misfortune and, even though nothing was taken, the insult and sense of personal violation is real. On a brighter note, Spring is nigh! Much love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re right about everything, Dale, and especially the last. Spring is not just nigh, it’s here! Lovely!

      Delete
  6. Break-ins are horrid, even if nothing is taken. I hope you find ways to look after yourself till the horridness fades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. It will all settle down soon, I'm sure.

      Delete
  7. That's terrible news about the break-in. I hope you are both okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're fine, Stu, thank you! It was a shock and an unpleasant one, but these things happen now and then. It's not the first time I've experienced it. I think it comes with living in a city, wherever you are.

      Delete
  8. I'm very sorry to read about your break in Val. How vexing it must have been for you! Sadly I think it's part and parcel of modern life and I expect a barge must seem like an easy target to some opportunist thief.

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)