Sunday, April 22, 2018

From vineyards to boatyards: springing into spring

Spring has finally arrived and we can shed those heavy layers of clothing. It’s such a relief, isn’t it? I am not one to bare all, but I love being able to go outside in just jeans and a tee-shirt. It’s what I think of  when I hear the title of that film (and book) ‘The Incredible Lightness of Being’. Silly, I know.

To make it even better, I spent a few days in Spain last week. One of the upsides of living in Europe is the ease of access to other countries, so I took advantage of a week’s break in my courses, to hop on a flight to Alicante and a bus ride later, I was in rural Valencia with a fellow former South African  friend. It was just lovely and the hills were sprouting young vines in great profusion. The geometry of the patterns they form really caught my eye and I took loads of photos.






There were also some fiestas going on (when aren’t there?) but these children we came across performing in the streets of Dénia were just captivating.









Then it was back to the Netherlands where the temperatures were even warmer than they were in Spain (true!), so yesterday we took the Hennie Ha for its first spuddle of the year. We always like to do this to make sure everything is working properly before we do any serious faring. It was the most glorious day for it and it has inspired us no end. We went as far as the shipyard just over the border to have a look as we want to have a quick lift out to clean the bottom and paint it to the waterline before we set off for the summer. The winter has been hard on the paint work!
.."







Today has been equally lovely, but I’m afraid rain is coming soon. We cannot have more than a few days of sunshine in this part of the world without the obligatory storm to prevent us getting too used to it. It is also guaranteed to rain when I want to work on the Vereeniging, which I’m planning to do in my free time this week.

Oh and we have a spell of holidays coming up starting with King’s day this coming week...have a good one alllemaal. Do you have any holidays coming up soon?

12 comments:

  1. Oh sunshine! I’m with you in leaping out and turning my face the the skies. It feels as if we’ve been cold forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn’t it, Jo? I hope it’s lovely where you are too!

      Delete
  2. The sun was lovely...and so much in the garden has now sprung into green life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the spring has reached you too, CarolStar xx

      Delete
  3. Always wonderful to escape to you and your fa blog. Tweeted and shared. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane! So much! I need to find you on Twitter!

      Delete
  4. Lovely post as always Val, thank you very much for sharing, beautiful photos and tthe children dancing look so joyful. We have two important festivities here, 25 th April the day to celebrate the liberation in the second world war and 1 st May - so lots of happy events organized, picnics, trips away etc. a beautiful time of year with all the summer in front of us, have a great time xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make the seasons sound so enticing, Angela! I hope you have a lovely liberation day. We celebrate that on 5th May. The 27th April is Kings Day...the king's birthday, so it is a holiday here.

      Delete
  5. Hi Val - so glad you enjoyed Spain and being a South African friend ... special days. Then seeing Spring really has sprung - here too ... but I'm not sure when the Canadian holidays are ... being on a farm and 'retired' and caring - life sort of carries on - the winter floors me!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter floors me too, Hilary. I hope you are loving the Canadian or Vancouver spring!

      Delete
  6. A trip to Spain sounds just the ticket. I always like to escape there when the weather is bad. But it looks rather idyllic in the Netherlands as well. Just like here, it feels a bit "wrong" somehow at this time of year!!! and it has also cooled down no end. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. It did me good to get away even if just for a few days. We've just had King's Day here (the King's birthday) and as usual, it was chilly, grey and drizzly...it always is, but it never stops Dutch people getting out their orange garb and celebrating in force :)

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)