Sunday, March 11, 2018

The spring of spring

What a difference a week makes at this time of year, doesn't it?

Last week, I was moaning about the Beast from the East, and now we are turning the heating down and remarking on the mildness of the balmy air.

It's been lovely today. After a torrential downpour and thunderstorm that woke me up in the middle of the night, the skies cleared and we were treated to one of those mornings of stunning light and flossy clouds. To celebrate the turn in our climatic fortunes, Koos and I went for a walk. Our purpose was to go and visit a ram (predictably coined Rambo) that lives in a field some distance along the dyke on which the crumbly cottage is situated. This poor fellow is all on his own and I feel very sorry for him. He's a friendly creature and spends his days as close to the fence in his large field as possible. I think he just waits there for the next passer-by to stop and give him a bit of attention and scratch him under the chin.

I recently read that rams should not live alone, and I can't help noticing they they are isolated far too often. While I understand they cannot be left to run with the ewes all the time, they could easily be placed with wethers (castrated rams), or even with other animals. It seems wrong to keep such a herd creature alone and it's easy to see they crave the company.

Here's a couple of photos of Rambo communing with Koos:





I took some other photos of the pretty houses along our route. Being white and quaint, they looked especially attractive in the sunlight and I appreciated anew how lucky we are to have this lovely place to escape to.

I love this Cape Dutch style home. It's very pretty and has a
lovely big garden

View over the polder to the sea canal

The local B&B. Totally self contained cuteness

From its other equally pretty side

The main house; in other words the owners of the B&B
Same style of quaintness

Then of course, I couldn't resist a roofscape that begged to be captured with all its colours and uneven tiles:
Roofscape from the height of the dyke
And lastly, there were some other pretty things along the way of a livelier variety:

Isn't she a sweetie?

Breakast time
Altogether, it was a lovely walk on a gorgeous spring morning, and although it clouded over later, it gives me the feeling that the warmer weather is here at last.

Hoping you have a spring in your step too allemaal. Are signs of warmer days around in your world? Or cooler for my southern hemisphere friends?

PS: On the subject of sheep, my novel How to Breed Sheep, Geese and English Eccentrics is at a knockdown price of 99p/c on the US and UK Amazon sites this week; just if you need something to banish the winter blues once and for all :)

17 comments:

  1. What a lovely day and fantastic photos! I feel sad for the ram, but I love the picture of Koos making his day! We had a good afternoon walk here - after the rain quit - but I don't see any signs of spring yet. Have a great week. (steph)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavy rain on the Thames here at Hambleden and a temperature of 12* forecast for today but with lots more rain! And tomorrow - rain and Tuesday guess what - rain again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carol, I am sorry! That is horrible. We've had rain in the afternoon, but not all day!

      Delete
  3. I love these pictures but now feel so sad for Rambo, and want to keep the little goat!!! (until it needs feeding or to go to the loo.... okay, I'll just look at pictures!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes, TT. I think goats are quite high maintenance, but I think they are too cute for candy and apparently, they make very good pets!

      Delete
  4. Oh the poor wee ram,no pals. I love the houses Val and so glad to hear Spring is around the corner. Last night and today we had freezing fog, rain most of week end. Next Monday is the start of British Summertime so we can only hope for a good one.
    Anne Mackle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Anne. We go and see him quite regularly actually! I'm praying for good weather for you too!

      Delete
  5. We have tiny hints of spring but then it disappears again before we can begin to be hopeful. And your ram - I’m sure it would love company but some rams seem to think they own everyone in a field, any animal, any gender, and believe they have to defend their ‘flock’ from anyone who passes by. (My brother was a farmer, and they had problems with a ram in a field with a public footpath running through it.) Am glad you could give yours some attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, ahem, I know what you mean by some rams. But I believe they are quite trainable. Mine was very friendly to me and my family and never butted us, but he couldn't be trusted with strangers. I never tried to train him, though, but I've read that you can and that they respond well to firm handling.

      Delete
    2. Maybe some breeds are less trainable than others. My brother’s all thought they were Rambo!

      Delete
  6. What a nice place you have to go walking Val. I feel sorry for the ram, what a lonely existence for him. The little cottages are so sweet and cute, just like the animals. It has been rainly here for over a week (unusual!) and today we were pleased to have sunshine again, just like you. A tiny touch of Autumn, with maximums just under 30c this week, and much appreciated. Bring on the cooler weather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are quite grateful for the lower temperatures, Patricia! It seems strange to us, but then we rarely have your kind of heat!

      Delete
  7. Doesn't the sun make a difference! Lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it does! I believe we’re in for more cold this weekend, though.

      Delete
  8. Hi Val - it's been warmer here ... but Sussex was a wee bit cold I gather. Poor animal - the ram needs his buddies ... but loved joining you on your walk and see the sights - Cape Dutch - oh yes!! I sincerely hope we've avoided any more snow - it was horrible!!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary. I’m told we will have snow again this weekend! Glad you liked the Cape Dutch house!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)