Saturday, April 27, 2024

The sky's the limit with AI (or not)

The last couple of weeks have been quite intense work-wise, so I'm a little late in blogging again. Mea culpa! Here's the reason, though.

It's not often I discuss my job, let alone voice any concerns about it, but the intensity I mentioned was generated by worries about students using AI (Artificial Intelligence) to write their essays. Have any of you had experience of this? It really is becoming quite a challenging issue.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against AI as a tool. It can be incredibly useful, and I use it myself to give me ideas for materials I can use for classes. All I have to do is ask a question with suitable prompts and the AI program will give me suggestions for a lesson plan, for exercises, and even sample texts to use for evaluation purposes, but the thing is, I never actually use what it gives me. I just use the ideas.

The first problem with AI tools for teachers and students is that it's clever, but not clever enough. The ideas it can produce are generic and offer nothing original – for obvious reasons. After all, it can only produce what it has drawn from the mass of data it has absorbed from elsewhere. The second problem is that students don't seem to have understood these limitations, and believe if they ask ChatGPT (the most popular tool in academia) to give them an essay that answers a specific question, they can use the seemingly perfect answer it produces and the teachers won't notice. A big mistake on their part.

I won't go into the circumstances in which this issue has arisen recently, but suffice to say it became obvious that a few students were doing just what I've described, but what's worse, they were doing so in a test situation. Their essays were strangely fault free, their paragraphs were all the same length, and the arguments in their texts reflected little to no personal thought or experience and only very general ideas. Now, as a native-speaking writer myself, I know it's impossible to write a 350 word text in half an hour without making a single typo or error; nor will I produce sentences all of the same length, or have the ideal number of five sentences in a paragraph. Only super humans (or AI) can do that. 

When I write this blog, for instance. I make heaps of silly mistakes and I have to edit it numerous times before I've eliminated them all. My sentences are often far too long and I naturally ramble, so I have to cut out words, shorten sentences and improve on what I've written. It all takes a substantial amount of time, and even then, I nearly always end up with a typo or two that Koos points out to me. I haven't even noticed them.

So to add to the unlikelihood of the fault free writing, the third problem is that we cannot actually prove they've used AI. You see, if I give ChatGPT the same question four times, I'll get four different essays, so it will never be flagged as plagiarism. As I said, it's clever, but not so clever we cannot sense its use in the style and content.

But what do we do about it? If we're trying to test students' ability to write at a certain level, and AI is doing the work for them, it's a serious matter. These kids are neither exercising, nor proving, any educational skill or academic level. The only solution I can think of is that schools and colleges will have to revert to controlled exam conditions with students using paper and pens instead of independent computers. But that would really be turning the clock back, wouldn't it?

Fortunately for me, the problem isn't mine to overcome; I'm just one of the assessors. But it never feels good accusing a student of effectively cheating when you don't have the evidence they've done so. What if they were really just that accurate? It's incredibly unlikely, but not impossible. 

In the end, however, the sky might appear to be the limit when it comes to AI, but to me it feels as if it's another nail in the coffin of real education, the kind of education where students use critical thinking and argue a point based on their own observations or research; that is unless we can teach them to use it as just a support rather than a replacement. What do you think? I'd be interested to hear of any experience you've had with AI.

Anyway, on the same, but slightly different subject, here are some photos of the stunning skyscapes (or limits) we've been having between the rain showers, as well as a couple of pretty spring village scenes, and Zoe, of course (for Rebecca).










 

28 comments:

  1. Hi Val, I must admit the advent and widespread use of AI fills me with concern. It must be a real concern to everyone in the field of education.
    I find it quite irritating when I am trying to write something and my iPad or computer anticipates or thinks it knows what I want to write. I know it’s childish, but I usually write something totally different, just because I can. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Lorraine. Don’t let that AI take over! I love your solution. 👏

      Delete
  2. As someone who had spent a long time working in assistive technology to support older and disabled individuals, I love the potential technology has to boost users. But I'm struggling to see how AI has a role in improving the lives of anyone, particularly in education or creativity.
    It's no surprise that students will 'try it on' by using AI and presumably we will be told that AI has a strong role in detecting cheating, plagiarism and people using AI to create academic essays and assignments. It just seems like a mad cold War without purpose. 😕
    By the way, electricity usage for AI and data centres is predicted to use the equivalent of Japan's (third biggest economy) by 2026, which means a huge environmental impact too. Like lemmings poised to jump! 😬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aidan, like all tech stuff, AI has its uses, but I agree we shouldn’t allow it to dominate life the way it’s doing now. A couple of years ago, I was teaching a PhD student who was researching the potential of AI leadership. That was a very scary prospect. Like having Marvin in Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy in charge!

      Delete
    2. It would make you feel quite depressed... 🤖😂 I think there's a push for AI because it's there and each country is frightened it will be left behind so it's another arms race to find the 'perfect' AI that will 'change the world for the better', God help us.

      Delete
    3. Aidan, I think people are generally beginning to realise it won't, thank heavens! Fingers crossed they'll learn how to put the brakes on soon!

      Delete
  3. Lovely 'big sky' pictures though, Val. 🤩

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Val, what a quandary! I had no idea this was going on, and how sad it is! Words fail me. I see so much wrong and horrible and scary about this...but I have no solution. I not only have never used AI...I don't even have a cell phone. And after your blog - I'm so glad to have been left behind in the tech area. Yes, I make mistakes in writing, but they are my mistakes, my ideas, my hard work...and I wouldn't want it any other way. Take care, Val. You are in a vulnerable situation with all this. God bless. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph, thank you, my dear. I am in the fortunate of being aware of the benefits and risks. I’m afraid young people are only aware of the benefits unless they’re taught otherwise. It’s a big task and responsibility for teachers.

      Delete
  5. Dear Val,

    Oddly enough, on the flip side, we have to ‘prove we are not a robot’…

    Dale xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! That’s one way of controlling it! 🤣

      Delete
  6. I hate AI. Have you seen all the AI generated photos on Facebook that the masses just assume are real? I spend my working life on the phone, and my biggest bug bear is the voice-mail that say" Hello, I'm a virtual Google Assistant. " I flatly refuse to "talk" to it, and won't leave a message. I can understand how difficult it must be for educators. I hate how Facebook is trying to push it onto us too. Every post gives.me.the option to use AI for grammar, etc, and the search bar is now AI too. If they can get AI to do my laundry and put it away, great!! But anything creative I want to do myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I am so with you about how it’s being pushed on us in so many areas. Creatively, it’s a useful support tool but should never replace the creator. At least Amazon asks if an author has used AI, but I’m not sure if they do anything about it if a whole book has been written with it. I never use it for writing so I don’t know what they would do if I answered yes to their questions. I do use it to help with putting together the covers, though.

      Delete
  7. Dear Val, I can fully relate to the situation you are facing. I have had similar experiences. As you rightly said AI has its advantages but plenty of downsides as well.
    One, it kills the creativity and thinking ability. A lot of work that our brain must be doing is done by the machine.
    Two, AI can gets facts horribly wrong and we won't any clue. After conducting a few experiments, I am fully convinced that AI can't be relied on for facts. A usual web search itself is risky but at least we know which is the website but in the case of an AI-generated text there are no sources, in most cases.
    Three, AI is good for giving us suggestions and rough plans.
    This might sound like an old-fashioned suggestion, but ideally, students should do their exercises on paper with pen or pencil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pradeep, I agree with you fully. At least with pen and paper, they have to rely completely on their own abilities.

      Delete
  8. Even Amazon's reviews start with an AI generated precis of what users thought of the book/product. Yes okay, use AI as a tool if it helps, but not to replace the creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that, Chris. I find it a bit sad that they feel customers can't even read the reviews now to make up their own minds. I totally agree about the creativity aspect. Thankfully, AI still cannot do what human artists and writers can!

      Delete
  9. I share your apprehension of AI and how it is affecting all aspects of our lives. In photography circles it's very worrying, someone only has to direct one of the many AI platforms to generate an image and it comes up with the most amazing images. If you also ask for a "photo realistic" image the result cannot be distinguished from a "proper", genuine photograph which you might have taken yourself.
    Obviously this could lead to AI generated images being entered into photographic competitions at camera clubs, exhibitions etc. At the moment the Royal Photographic Society is looking at ways to police this problem and how to determine whether a photograph is an honest entry or an AI generated image. In the meantime clubs and exhibition organizers are making it clear that AI images will be disqualified if detected. Unfortunately some folk have had their "honest" photographs disqualified, on the grounds that they are AI generated, as they appear "to good to be genuine". A German photographer entered an AI generated "photograph" into an International Exhibition and won one of the categories with it. He then immediately owned up to it being an AI image and disqualified his entry, to highlight how AI can be abused and used to gain an unfair advantage and cheat.
    On to other things, I enjoyed your stunning sky photo's, they are similar to our "big sky" scenes above Lincolnshire. Nice to see Zoe out on a walk, I often get pics of Popcorn out ahead of me on his extending lead.
    Take Care Val, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That German photographer can be proud of himself, David. There's a fine line between using AI for editing and using it for creating, but it's an important one. I think AI has caught all of us unawares. It has crept up and infiltrated so many spheres of creative life that it really is very hard to distinguish the genuine art or writing from the AI generated work. I'm sorry to hear some poor souls have had their photos disqualified and that's my worry with the students' essays. What if they really are that good? Anyway, I'm glad that it isn't ultimately my job to police these developments. It's going to be a challenge! Thank you for the kind words about my photos. The skies have been fantastic recently, but I do wish the wind and rain would give us a rest. Take care yourself, David.

      Delete
  10. I'm alarmed by the growing use of AI. I could tell you didn't use it in your writing of your blog because, as you said, you make mistakes (as everyone does). e.g. "it's another nail in coffin" instead of "it's another nail in the coffin"! I think, again as you said, that having students in a test situation use pen and paper is the only way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you, Shirley. As I said, I always miss something! It it's too good to be true, it probably is. :))

      Delete
  11. Yes, I think numerous instructors are faced with this dilemma now. it has happened to me with a second-year nursing student in a required English class when I was still teaching. It was blatant.. At the time, it made me so mad! I think I stuck to my guns. She had numerous other issues as well, and I did not pass her. But I noticed she graduated with her class. Go figure. :)
    I enjoyed seeing your skyscapes!
    Take care!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Amy! How lovely to hear from you. Thank you for your comment. I think we're all on the same page here, aren't we? Well done to you for sticking to your guns, and I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.Keep in touch and let me know how you're doing!

      Delete
  12. I love your photos. Thinking about AI taking over our lives is depressing despite it's benefit. I don't really have a solution for this but I feel you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm really glad you liked the photos :)

      Delete
  13. The very thought of AI becoming so prevelant is really worrying. It makes me glad I'm not teaching now. The biggest worry for me back then was students copying and pasting from Wickipedia or other online essays. You just know instictively when it's not students own work. I wonder how students can be happy to have cheated in this way. It must be problematic giving feedback. Like Chris, I dislike a lot of these AI photographs that we see on FB. Hey ho, back to the days of paper and pen. I love your photos, as always and appreciate the ones of Zoe, she's such a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca! Isn't it ironic that all this technology that's supposed to make life easier has just made it more complicated and fraught with difficulties? I too miss the days of good old paper and pen. The only thing we had to worry about was whether we could read what the students had written! Zoe sends you lots of wags and snuffles. :) XXX

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)