Thursday, February 29, 2024

Chaos with cars

It must seem as if I'm being a bit of a drama queen these days, or at least that I invite drama (although I do everything I can to avoid it), but I have to tell you about my chaotic car catastrophes (see what I did there?), and then that's it for the trials and tribulations, I promise.

Back in January, you may remember that I had to kiss goodbye to my beloved little car, Buttons. She'd failed her APK (the Dutch version of the MOT or roadworthy certificate) and the repairs would have been too costly to be justifiable. So, there I was without a runaround, something I find essential for my way of life with boats, teaching and dogs. 

Koos has a wonderful ancient Opel Astra, affectionately known as the Blue Classic, which at 29 years old is defying all the mechanics' predictions that she won't see another year. So far, they've been wrong, but to avoid tempting fate, we nurse her a bit now, ever conscious that she might be wearing her last tyres. This year's APK could well be the deciding test, although we hope not of course. What I'm trying to say is that even without Buttons we weren't completely car-less, but living where we do often makes it awkward to have just one vehicle, especially one as old as this one. 

The Opel wears her life scars proudly, but it can be a bit embarrassing at times. For instance, the last time we were in France, a distinctly inebriated local in a very rural village mistook us for criminals coming to make mischief. Yes, really! Now when someone is that drunk, it seems that diplomacy and courtesy take a back seat (so to speak), and honesty is all they can produce. When he slurred how he thought we were 'outsiders' from the city coming to see what nefarious deeds we could commit, I was a bit shocked and not a little mortified until I saw the funny side. However, seeing yourself as others see you can be surprising to say the least.

Anyway, that's not really my story for today. The point is, I needed a new small car, so after weeks of searching online and a few trips to go and look at cars, I became the hesitantly proud owner of a bright, shiny, red Kia Picanto.

The hesitancy part came early; in fact, before I even left the garage. I got in the car to drive it away and it wouldn't start. Thinking it was me doing something wrong and inadvertently flooding the engine, I gave it a minute, turned the motor over and gave it a good pump. It started, but I needed to rev it up a lot to keep it going. 

After that, it was fine and I drove the 130 km home without a problem. However, that wasn't the end of the problem. Over the following days it happened several times and it was also prone to stalling. It made me very nervous of stopping anywhere, especially on the hill approaching our opening bridge over the canal. So at the weekend, my very auto-savvy daughter came and with the aid of a diagnostic tool, we established there was an electrical problem, possibly with the alternator.

I then got in touch with the salesman at the garage and he was full of apologies. "Take it to a local garage and we'll cover the costs," he said. So I did. I took it to the Kia dealers nearby who diagnosed a serious wiring problem. "It's a mess," they said. "We're not touching it. You should take it back." Not very helpful, but clear.

Further contact with the sales garage resulted in my returning the car to them and getting a full refund, which was fantastic of them. I was aware they didn't know much about the inner workings of the cars, so I didn't blame them at all. Still, I was surprised and grateful they were so decent about a problem that didn't fall under the guarantee. That said, the whole experience had involved six trips there and back and four of these with a second car (being our poor old Opel).

So, what then? I started my search again, this time focusing on a Fiat Panda, which is a car I liked very much, and even test drove one before buying the Kia. Sadly, that one (the Panda) had clearly not been driven for way too long. Its exhaust was seriously rusty with lumps falling off it, while the engine bay was covered in cobwebs and full of dust.

Inside, though, it was very neat and clean, but there were a few clues regarding the previous owner that had us inventing stories. There was a crucifix plus a small plastic angel hanging from the mirror and the radio was tuned to classical music. My son-in-law, Sherlock van der Holmes, concluded the car had belonged to a single older lady from Breda (a city known for being in the Netherlands' Catholic south), who had a small dog, probably a Yorkshire terrier, judging from the sprinkling of hairs on the carpets. Whatever the case, and much as I enjoyed driving the car, it hadn't been maintained for too long.

But with that experience in mind, I began looking in earnest for a suitable Panda to adopt. It felt like a long and, at times, frustrating hunt, but was actually only a week because I returned the Kia last Wednesday and it was just yesterday I found the one I could buy and drive home in. So, without further ado, let me introduce Bobby, so named after the British policemen who drive (or at least used to drive) Panda cars. 

Bobby is also quite old for a new car but has far more bells and whistles than I've ever had before: electric windows, air conditioning, central locking etc., none of which I wanted or needed, but it's difficult to find a car without them now. He was born in 2006 and has 143,000 km on his clock. He's averaged 8500 km a year, which is quite modest, so it's unlikely he's been thrashed, and hopefully, I'll have some good driving time with him in the coming months and years. A compromise? Maybe, but I have a feeling I could grow to love him quite quickly as long as he behaves.



So that's the end of my car saga for now. At least I hope so. I think that all told I've seen and test driven seven cars in the last month and travelled a few hundred kilometres in the process. I need to thank my wonderful daughter and son-in-law (or son-out-law, as I call him) for all their help and support in my search. They also spent a whole day driving me around their area, for which I'm endlessly grateful.

Anyway, let's hope the chaos with cars is over for a bit.

Enjoy the weekend allemaal!


22 comments:

  1. Hooray Val, your perseverance seems to have paid off. 🙏😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you, Lorraine. It's a relief, I can tell you.

      Delete
  2. Goodness me, what a to-do! But glad you and Bobby are now united! Lucky you with your car-savvy daughter and Sherlock van der Holmes! Happy driving from here on, Val. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Shirley. I am very blessed with my offspring, both of them! And my son -out-law is a lovely, funny guy. :)

      Delete
  3. Val, I love what you invite to your door! Otherwise, what would you have to write about, and us, in turn, to read about? Having worked in the automotive industry for 25 years (15 of which at our local Ford dealership), your struggles are entirely real to me. I also love that you name your vehicles; my first was Betsy, then Old Blue, and I currently own both ‘Earl Grey’ and ‘Lady Grey’. My son, Bobby (!), had an old dinged up Ford Escape he dubbed ‘Denton’ and now owns a Japanese make he calls Nissaniel’… I’m sorry you had to give up Button (not Koos…) and I personally know how difficult it is to part with a cherished member of the family, even if it’s merely a mode of transportation. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for your Bobby! Sending you and Koos mountains of love xx
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale, I love this. You always make me smile with your comments. In fact, I didn’t just smile, I laughed at Denton. What a brilliant name!! And Nissaniel too. Well done, Bobby 😄 Now, I’m curious as to what Earl and Lady Grey are and how you came by those names. I love them! And yes, you’re right. I miss Buttons still and have some regrets about giving up on her, but it’s water under the bridge now and I just hope Bobby will serve me well. With a second-hand car, you never really know what you’re getting. Thank you, as always, for reading my rambles, dear Dale. Oceans of love from us both to you both. Xxx

      Delete
    2. Ah, Lady Grey is my 2007 Ford Freestar van I’ve had for 10 years now. She has served me very well, especially when I was managing the resort (in a pinch, we managed to fit a new full-sized washer and dryer set in the back when the resort ones wore out). She’s a bit the worse for wear now, with her (ahem) bottom rusting out, but she still has lots of life left in her. Earl Grey is my pride and joy; a 2013 Ford F150 that I bought especially to haul our camper. He is lovely to drive and pulls the trailer like a dream. Their names are both derived from their different shades of grey (alas, only 2…) 😉 xx

      Delete
  4. Bobby looks like a marvelous and fun gent! Trusting you won't be disappointed this time! Thanks for another great blog, Val. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. I also hope Bobby will serve me well in the coming months. He’s going to take a bit of getting used to with all his bells and whistles, but I hope he’ll be a good one!

      Delete
  5. Well done for persevering and ending up with a cute Panda car. (I have never heard of them!). I am so glad you were able to return the Kia, as you would have had no end of trouble with it. My car was bought new in 2007, and still going well. Fingers crossed I can nurse her along for a few more years, as I would never learn a modern electronic car. I couldn't even learn to use a laptop which was a gift a couple of years ago. Seems I should have bought an Apple like my phone but I did not know that, oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Patricia, I know how you feel. What worries me with the modern cars is that there’s so much more that can go wrong and that isn’t easily fixed if one isn’t a mechanic. I understand your problem with the laptop if it’s a Windows machine. I have an Apple laptop myself and although I have a Windows one as a backup, I rarely use it. It’s complicated by comparison.

      Delete
  6. I love your car saga, Val! Here's to Bobby, and the many future adventures you have together. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Beth. I'm glad the saga's over now, I must say and I sincerely hope Bobby will be the best! xxx

      Delete
  7. So glad you have, eventually found a little car you are happy with. It's not easy. Joe's little 'Swampy' had to be scrapped and it took us a few weeks before settling on a new to us Vauxhall Meriva. Fortunately my Citroen C3 which was 6 months old when I bought it almost 9 years ago is still going strong. Happy driving Val x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s always a challenge, isn’t it, Rebecca? There’s a level of reluctance as well while we’re still mourning the loss of our old faithfuls. I’m glad you and Joe have both got good ‘uns now!

      Delete
    2. PS thank you as always for your kind comment!

      Delete
  8. I just want to add a comment here about how grateful I am for all of you who take the time to read my rambles. I so appreciate it and love reading your responses. It makes keeping up with this blog a joy for me. Thank you all very, very much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cars can be frustrating at times, glad you got sorted eventually. We had a Fiat Panda in the 1990s, it was quite basic but a joy to drive. We went on holiday to the Lake District in it and while driving out of Windermere we were flagged down by thr police into a lay by. We assumed it for a spot check, tyres etc, but no. There had been a bank raid and the getaway car used was a blue Fiat Panda! We just burst out laughing, the police officers smiled at us but still had us get out of the car while they seached it. They even lifted the boot floor to look in the spare wheel compartment. We had that car for quite a few years and apart from an alternator failing it never let us down.
    By the way, it was the only car we ever named and was called "Noddy". Perhaps we should have named it Bobby!
    Enjoy your Bobby Val, David.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Val, the Kia Picanto should have been yellow for the lemon that it turned out to be. Here's hoping that Bobby is your twin and serves you well. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, Lynn! It should indeed. It's such a shame because it was otherwise quite perfect. Never mind. It wasn't the car for me, that's clear. Thank you as always for reading my blog! xxx

      Delete
  11. Glad you've got something to drive, Val! Buying a used car is stressful. I'm so pleased the garage that sold you the Kia refunded you. As the driver of an Astra Estate on 217,000 km. I salute you! 🫡 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this, Aidan. I missed it, but I'm glad you also drive an oldie like me. Our old blue classic is on the same kind of mileage as yours. She's still going strong although she creeks and makes some peculiar noises. Happy driving!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)