Monday, February 19, 2024

A soggy bloggy story

Well, I never got to write that extra post last week, so I'll have to try and catch up this week. However, for those of you who aren't into DIY or solving those types of problems, you might want to skip this one. Here's a pretty picture of Vereeniging seen through another beautiful barge to make up for it.

Vereeniging in the distance

So for the DIY enthusiasts, what's the soggy story? It's about a kitchen wall, you see. Once upon a time, when my crumbly cottage was a youngster, it had a front room and a back room each with its own fireplace. Later on, when it was older, one of its former residents decided to open up the wall between the two rooms and close up the fireplace and chimney in the back room.  All well and good. The cottage now had central heating, so why have more than one fireplace? 

That in itself was fine. Unfortunately, said resident knew not what he did because in sealing it, he set in motion a problem that has grown to ugly and mouldy proportions in the intervening years.

For a long time, I had no idea where the damp patches at the bottom of the kitchen wall were coming from. I thought it might be condensation as I usually kept a cupboard standing against it. Actually, I still don't really know the source of the problem but this last winter the weather has been so wet, the damp and mould have developed to unacceptable levels. After dismissing the condensation idea, I thought it was rising damp, but when yellow patches started showing high up on the wall, I started to believe it was probably water ingress through the old bricks. 

Some hours of research later, I bought some milky fluid that I sprayed on; it promised me it would prevent the type of ingress I feared. When this method didn't seem to improve things, I bought another product to paint on the wall – a type of cream that was supposed to seal the brickwork completely. That hasn't worked either.

However, after observing water dripping down the inside of the kitchen wall during one particularly violent storm, I wondered if rain was getting into the air vent for our extractor fan and seeping through a crack in the plaster. To address this possibility, Koos and I made a hood to cover the vent without closing it off. Once again, no change. 

Makeshift hood, which has surprisingly weathered
more than a few storms already

Then, I thought that maybe rain was also coming in through the lower air vent for the old, blocked off chimney, so I made another hood for that, not to mention digging a trench and installing a French drain. Anyway, to cut any further rambling short, none of it has made any difference, and following each storm, the kitchen wall has become increasingly damp and mouldy, with the problem principally sitting where the old chimney breast used to be. By this process of elimination, I was now beginning to feel quite certain the issue had something to do with blocking it up.

Hood over lower vent and French drain along
the length of the wall

So what could be next, you might ask? Well, I began a new attack from the inside last week. Taking off the now rotting plinth, I hacked off the plaster from the bottom of the wall to see what was behind it and found to my dismay that the fireplace flue had been filled with concrete. Now, I don't remember where I read it but apparently, you should never fill up an old chimney with concrete, especially in a cavity wall. It stops the wall 'breathing' and provides a nice 'bridge' for water ingress to pass from the outer skin to the inside wall. It also encourages condensation, which may be why there are other yellow patches on the rest of the wall. See what I mean about the unforeseeing previous owner?

So there we have it. Yesterday, when it was raining heavily, I could actually see water dripping off the concrete into the gap I'd created by removing the plaster. I now know what's happening, but... not how to fix it. Where the rain is coming through the wall, I haven't established, but I know it is and I know the concrete has to go. This will involve opening up the old fireplace and drilling out the offending filling, a job that will need care so as not to damage the outer brickwork. Oh joy.

I wanted to build a new interior wall with damp resistant plasterboard, but I think even that won't take kindly to being almost literally rained on. The incoming rainwater has to be stopped, so any suggestions from you, my courageous readers, would be welcome.

Anyone need convincing of the joys of owning an old house yet? 

That's all for this week allemaal. Wish me luck!

20 comments:

  1. Oh dear, Val, I wish I could help you there! Our older houses here are generally wood framed with wood siding. One would rarely ever find a house made of stone this far west in the country. We also don’t have to deal with any moisture, to speak of, as our local climate is very dry. Have you considered going through the roof/old chimney area and starting there somehow? It must feel like a daunting task and I empathize with you. I wish you all the luck, and the help of whichever woodland or fairy creature that minds over these type of things… Sending you and Koos mountains of love (and maybe some drier weather).
    Dale xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale, thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. The old chimney is no longer there as it was removed to give space and a window to the bathroom. Unfortunately, that would have been a great solution if it had been there, but it has to be coming in somewhere else. Hoping you are keeping well, my friend. Rivers of love for you too! xxx

      Delete
  2. Wear a mask for sure. Holy heck.I had a mere mildew smell coming from a window where a prior owner had rested a window unit AC. Turned out the window was never properly set. I got that taken care of and it was a small job as compared here by far.

    I am so sorry here. I only wish we could make the prior’s pay a portion of the work to be done.

    This is ginabea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gina, many grateful thanks for your sympathy. I will indeed wear a mask when I start knocking out the wall. It's a job that's just refusing to go away, so I have to do it. By the way, I hope you're enjoying spending time with your new baby. XX

      Delete
  3. Oh oh oh poor you Val! I read your blog to hubby who has some experience of these things! First question he asked was “is the chimney capped off at roof level?” Second question “is the outer wall just one brick thick? If yes, heavy rain will penetrate a single leaf and flow down the inside face ending up on top of your concrete block.” Send me a DM my friend if you want to chat more! Love and hugs Lally Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Lally. I've sent you a long DM with questions for your kind hubby. He'll wish he'd never asked after this. Haha, XXX

      Delete
    2. This is of no help to you whatsoever, Ibut might bring a smile. I had a friend in England called Chris McNiff. Her job was as a mould sniffer. She literally entered suspect houses and sniffed for where the mould was starting from. So we called her Chris McSniff. Fact!

      Delete
    3. Haha, Shirley, it definitely made me laugh. What a job!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Val...what a dilemma. I wish I knew the answer, but I don't. I rather think it may take removing the offending concrete. Keep us informed! Sending lots of love. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Steph. I think so too. Thank you, my dear.

      Delete
  5. Yikes: that's dreadful: no point in a rear view mirror, but would that the previous person had done some research. Hey ho: I've nothing sensible to add to the commentary so I'll just wish you courage and strength, the pair of you. I can imagine it is depressing in the extreme dealing with the damp and mould and frankly flowing water. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fiona. It’s been frustrating to say the least. The extra dose of courage is warmly welcomed. 😊

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear of your damp problem. I have no suggestions other than the concrete has to go, which won't be an easy job. Somebody has already asked if the old chimney is capped of, so that'll need checking, that will stop the rain and also prevent birds nesting in it & falling down inside it.
    Good luck and take care Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sympathy, David. There is no chimney anymore, so I don't need to worry about that, but where it was, there is now a window in the roof. It's possible that's the cause of the leak, but I need it to stop raining before we can take a proper look.

      Delete
  7. It's so frustrating when property problems are difficult to solve. Certainly more ventilation is needed it seems. Condensation certainly will also cause issues (we had them last year after paying a fair bit of money for a new roof over our back extension, only to discover a myriad of water marks one morning after Don had had a bath and the ancient extractor fan had just been pumping the steam into the loft, (we think it must have lots of holes in the piping!) which then dripped down on to the rafters. The vent was blocked so the steam just built up in the loft with nowhere to go. We've no disconnected it and use a dehumidifier. But all these things make one scratch one's head. I do hope you can get it sorted Val, maybe worth getting an expert in to have a look. XX (Dawn).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, many many thanks for your thoughtful comment. These problems are incredibly frustrating, especially when you can't find the source. I'm glad you found where your problem was coming from. I haven't given up, but we do have any expert coming to look next month. I'm hoping I'll have found the problem by then, though! XX

      Delete
  8. Oh, Val, what a trial. First, well done for tracking down the concrete issue. Part of me is tempted to suggest re-opening that fire, though I don't think that will deal with the overall problem. We have dehumidifiers going in our buildings. With no damp course and ancient walls, leaks and water ingress are an anti-feature, I'm afraid. How about calling in an expert. A second opinion perhaps wouldn't go amiss? Hugs and bon courage! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. Opening up the fire won't deal with the whole problem, I know, but it will help the wall to breathe. I've just discovered that our old fridge wasn't helping either. The condensation from its ageing evaporation system was also creating damp patches on the wall. It has now been despatched to its maker (that was overdue), so hopefully the new fridge we're awaiting won't cause the same problem. We live and learn, eh? :))

      Delete
  9. Finding the bodge jobs of previous owners is always a significant 'joy' isn't it? Good luck, Val! 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aidan. I really need a bit of luck, but more than anything, I need an extended stretch of good weather!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)