Sunday, November 26, 2017

Let it blow, let it blow, let it blow

It's been a windy week, and I'm talking weather in case any of you had other ideas. Since Monday we've had those restless days of winter showers interspersed with spells of brilliant sunshine before the clouds gathered again. There have been rainbows too and, as I said, wind. Lots of wind, which is something I'm not fond of.

Wind, rain and rainbows

On Tuesday I had to go to the Hague but the wind was so bad I decided not to take Buttons, my little car, fearing it would fly there rather than drive. I don't have a pilot's licence yet. Still, the trains are good in the Netherlands and I enjoy the relaxation it offers now and then as well as the chance to do some work on route. I was travelling up from our southern hideaway which involves a bit of a journey. I drive about 15kms first to the bus stop and then take the bus under the Westerschelde estuary to Goes which is where I catch the train. All in all it's a three hour journey there so it gives enough time for some work, reading and a snooze if I'm lucky. I then spent all of two hours in the Hague before doing the same thing in reverse, but I have to say it's a lot less tiring than driving all the way (or flying).

Buttons, my little car
Wednesday was just rain, rain and more rain, and then on Thursday, Koos was down with the (man)flu. Because it was blowing a gale again I did the trek by car, bus and train again to Rotterdam and back. Why I didn't stay there in the first place on Tuesday is still puzzling me but I didn't and when I arrived back on Thursday night to minister to the invalid, I realised I could probably get used to the commute eventually. It really wasn't that taxing at all and it would save having two bases. Some thinking on this is needed.

A view on the walk I took this morning

The point of all this is, well, I don't know actually. It's just been one of those slightly disconnected weeks when the purpose of anything has escaped me. On the upside, it seems Koos is feeling more himself and less fluey. Plus, I did manage a lovely walk in bright sunshine today. It was bitterly cold but the light was wonderful. I also managed a bit gardening. That felt good. I’m trying to spend as much time out of doors as possible really as winter and I are not good friends and I know I need my daily dose of UV. Of course I'd rather be a doormouse and hibernate when the weather's so inclement, but once I'm out and tramping along at a good pace, the scenery makes up for it all. Well with dramatic skies like this, how can I go wrong?



Have a great week, allemaal.

14 comments:

  1. It does sound like a long commute Val, but as you say, at least you can work on the train. I hope the scenery is nice, just like your pictures. The first and last photos are wonderfully dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patrica. Dutch scenery is lovely, but like everywhere, it depends on the weather. If there is a bit of sun and some nice clouds, it is stunning!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely witty post Val, it made me smile and start off the week well!! Thank you very much!! I remember when I was teaching young children they were like wild horses on windy days, wind can be exhilarating and blow the cobwebs away. You bring your adopted country to life. Make sure you don’t catch the flu! Have a good week xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Angela. I am fairly tough and never do the flu jab thing. So far I've got away with it, but because I hate the cold, I always wrap up warm. That might be the trick! :) xx

      Delete
  3. As a committed user of public transport, it amazes me that so many people seem to be glued to their cars. It's a long commute, Val - but the train does all the 'work' for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I admit I mostly drive up to Rotterdam as it is so much quicker. I like going by train, but if I have to be there early for work, it's a no goer. The buses don't begin until 6a.m. and that would get me there too late.

      Delete
  4. Gosh you get around! We've had rainy, windy weather here too. Think it's called winter approaching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re right, CarolStar...and it’s brought colds with it too...sigh.

      Delete
  5. Hi Val - I guess if you're not commuting 5 days a week - then that's a good option and perhaps save some cash. Cold - yeah ... I'm waiting for the snow - not yet thankfully! Buttons looks a delight ... I'm glad she didn't get blown away ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilary. It looks as if the UK might get snow before you have it in BC! My Buttons is very cute, isn’t she?

      Delete
  6. I can appreciate your trepidation about driving a small car in a strong wind. For I recall that many years ago, I had to change down into third and sometimes second just to make any headway and once when on the Welsh motorway [near the steel works] a kindly lorry driver pulled along side and sheltered me until we got into a sheltered area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was very kind, Mel! My biggest fear is the several big bridges I have to cross. The side winds there are so strong.

      Delete
  7. I quite like wind (although I don't think I would if I lived on a boat) but what I don't like is when the weather makes it hard to go out. I don't like driving a car in a strong wind either, or indeed when it is snowy... or heavily rainy. I wish I had a holiday home somewhere with warm, peaceful sunny weather, that I could jet off and visit at a moment's notice sometimes! :) What a wonderful rainbow picture by the way, magnificent to get the half circle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! Yes, I've just had a horrible day battling against the weather both walking and driving, so I am totally with you there! I'd love to have a peaceful, sunny getaway as well!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)