Sunday, November 12, 2017

Too cold for faring

Hasn't it suddenly got cold? In just these last few days, the temperatures have dropped and we've realised for the first time that it really isn't summer anymore. I'd got used to being outside in just a tee-shirt, albeit a long-sleeved one. I'm such a summer lover, it's hit me quite hard and I'm struggling to get up the energy to do anything constructive.

I don't have a neighour at the moment, which is rather nice
for my view both on board and on the quay

So what's my response to that? Well, being pig-headed (or should I say bull-headed being a Taurean?), I rebel against my own lethargy and am forcing myself to go for walks every day when I'd really rather hibernate in my dressing gown. I'm also getting off the tram a stop earlier on the way to work to make sure I have more fresh air (unless it's raining; even I'm not that rebellious). Then to be able to give myself a pat on the back, I spent some time after work on Tuesday painting my back cabin roof; not that this turned out to be a good idea. It froze over night and when I looked at my new paintwork the next day, the frost had already robbed it of any gleam. Murphy was having fun again, so I'll have to do it again.

Another thing I've managed to do is move on a little further with the interior of said back cabin. It's no warmer in there either, but at least it's out of the wind. I'm hoping I'll be able to show off its new floor soon. Koos has been busy with the engine, although still no joy as yet. However, he has put one of those squishy gas things on the opening hatch, and that makes it a dream to open and close. I am really so grateful as with my bad shoulder it's been a painful job to open it.

In other news, over the last few weekends we've have been to Ghent twice; once to an art gallery where a contact of Koos' had some paintings in an exhibition, and again yesterday, but that was just to go to Ikea. I love Ghent, so any excuse to go there is fine with me.

Two paintings by Randell Sarneel with Koos doing his
own exhibiting between them.

All the artists involved in the exhibition and Koos

We've also been to the theatre, which is something I always want to do more but never manage to get round to. This occasion had an extra incentive because my daughter had a role in the performance. It was called Duets and was a wonderfully witty series of four short plays involving two people in each segment (hence the title) by Peter Quilter. It was terrific and beautifully performed by all. Very funny and well staged too. I hope they will do more as I need that kind of push to go and I really enjoy it.

The cast and single all-in-one crew member of Duets


Then this last Friday, we went to Zierikzee. I've been before and just felt like going again on our way down to Zeeland. It's a really lovely, traditional Dutch town, and it lies on the shores of the Oosterschelde, the tidal estuary behind the great Delta project dam walls. Most of the time the sluices are left open, so the tide comes in and out normally. I was surprised at how much of a drop there is at low tide. It's much more than in our Oude Haven and is probably close to four metres. Zierikzee is on my list of top towns in the Netherlands and is a place I wouldn't mind living.


The tidal harbour at Zierikzee

Zierikzee's town gate and tower
The history of the harbour telling visitors
how the town got its name. The tidal creek was
called the Ee and it was named after a local
leader by the name of Zierik, hence Zierik's Ee
of Zierikzee as it is now.

And a photo of what it used to look like at the end of
the 17th century

What are you all doing to keep the blood circulating in these cold days? Or maybe hot days in some cases! I'd be interested to hear.

In any event, and whatever the case, have a good week allemaal!


23 comments:

  1. well, you have been busy! It's just bginning to get cold here, and the idea of curling up with a pile of books and endless supply of coffee and bananas is very appealing...curse those leaves that need raking..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the leaves! I've been doing those too today...freezing it was!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Half and half, Nancy! I'm on the boat during the week when I'm teaching and in a cottage down south at weekends. It's an all year round liveaboard :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Val - only just got cold here ... but I face south and if the sun's out - the walk to town is lovely. I'll be cold next week end - change of venue coming up ... I wonder what the winter will be like ... I shall be interested to see ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling it's going to be a cold one Hilary. That's just what my gut tells me, so I hope I'm wrong!

      Delete
  4. Busy, busy, busy bee you are! Getting cold here too and windy. Trying to do a little walk every day, today we walked to the little church up the road to see 'Giving the fallen silent a voice'. Memories, pictures and details of WW1 soldiers from Collier Row (our area) which was a very rural, agricultural village. They had a grant from the Lottery Heritage people and involved the children from the delightfully named Dame Alice Tipping Scool. It was a very small exhibition but interesting nonetheless.
    Loved crunching through the fallen leaves on the way. Home again to more knitting! Busy week ahead culminating in my CTR scan on 'the' shoulder (!) on Saturday.
    Love reading about your week. Jude xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jude, what a lovely comment. Lovely to read about your day and the WW1 memorial. It's all so moving, isn't it? I'll keep everything crosse for your scan! We're together in this joint venture, aren't we...haha! xx

      Delete
  5. It's been cold here for a while. I haven't been in short sleeves sonce Tenerife in September. I really want to go to Ghent since seeing your photographs. Great you got to the theatre. I love going to musicals and have a new friend who shares my passion. I have been to a few lately the next one is January and it the ballet,Nutcracker and I can't wait.
    Anne Mackle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it lovely to go to the theatre, Anne. I wish I went more often, I really do. The ballet would be lovely as well. I hope you come to Ghent too. It's such a lovely place! Let me know if you do! X

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post Val, it’s time to practice Hygghe the Danish word that’s in fashion to mean keeping warm and cosy. Congratulations to your daughter on her part in the play, how lovely to go to Ghent it all sounds wonderful, have a happy warm
    Winter xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela! I'm glad you've enjoyed it. We call Hygghe *gezelligheid* in Dutch. It has the same idea behind it :)

      Delete
  7. You are amazing, Val, in every season. Your ability to adapt and claim victory over winter inspires me. And how fun to watch your daughter in her play! Have a great week! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. My daughter made me proud that evening! xx

      Delete
  8. That brings back memories, it was one of the first places I ever visited when I was working in Middelburg over 30 years ago.

    We're In Dokkum for the winter, and will be busy getting the front bed room done, and also after next weekend, I will be closing and sealing one of the wheel house doors, and any other gaps, so we have less drafts, hopfully that will help with the heating of Noorderzon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you too are bunkering down, Gary! Middelburg is also lovely. Lucky you to have worked there! Good luck with your draught proofing!

      Delete
  9. I’m with you in the ‘I hate the cold’ camp, as you know. And the dark and the wet and all things wintery. I make myself walk when it’s dry (though not when the east wind is blowing). I have good resolutions about swimming now I live closer to a pool, but haven’t made it yet. And do keep up with the singing and and writing groups. But I still don’t like it - so applaud your getting out and about as you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are still singing and writing, Jo! As for swimming, just the thought makes me shudder. It would have to be a very warm pool to get me in there!

      Delete
  10. Val, I envy your ability to evade the dressing gown scenario! I've had some time off and much of it was spent in my onesie... That being said, I've taken up crocheting once more after a 25-year hiatus. It's quite an enjoyable way to pass the time.
    We've also had an early snow and persistent colder weather, so I have a couple of ski days under my belt already. This is a first for such an early season and the ski resorts are taking full advantage!
    We tend to handle the cold quite well here in Western Canada; with a fire in the grate every evening, coloured fairy lights to help stave off "The Sads" (a result of the small number of daylight hours) and the consumption of hearty soups, stews and casseroles. I was so tired last night after a day skiing that I practically fell asleep in my soup! I've another afternoon ahead of me on the slopes then back to work tomorrow.
    That's how we keep warm! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all so different, Dale. I don't honestly know how you survive your brand of cold. It's so beautiful there, but it would be hard for me to cope with that. I can imagine you're happy to be out on your skis again though! Take care out there, my friend! xx

      Delete
  11. Lovely, happy, positive post as always. You lead such an interesting life. Your posts make me feel like I'm viewing it from the comfort of my seat in a nearby café.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Deval! That's so kind. I hope you are well now? I need to come and check in with you! X

      Delete
  12. Busy, busy Vallypee! Yes, I know all about frost on paint and concrete! I had to do a bit of concreting last week and hoped the hovering -1 deg was surface only. Fortunately the concrete set before the temp dropped lower overnight! Your 2 pictures of the town Zierikzee and its gate look so similar despite being about 300 years different! I also like the sign with the history of Vereeniging, is it your initiative?

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)