Sunday, May 14, 2023

Zoe’s first spuddle on the Hennie H

After a week of endless rain, we finally had two lovely spring days, so how better to enjoy them than on the water?

We spent them on the Vereeniging as a kind of weekend away, and had a surprise visit from my daughter and her boyfriend on Saturday evening as a Mother’s Day gift. My other daughter joined us too, and a very splendid time was had by all, including the three puppies (one per household), on the foredeck of the boat. We ate pizza, drank a glass or two of wine and fed treats to the dogs, who were as entertaining as exuberant pups will always be. 

But today we had another kind of celebration. We took Zoe to the Hennie H for her first ever spuddle in preparation for our summer holiday travels and I’m very happy to report it went very well indeed. Just for security, I attached her lead to the railings, but she seemed quite content to sit in her bed on deck and watch the world pass her by. 

After all the years of adapting our lives to Sindy, my beloved dobermann/labrador cross who was terrified of moving boats, I was nervous about Zoe’s response, but I needn’t have worried. She was quite unperturbed by the manoeuvring and the revving and took it all in her stride. I can’t tell you what a relief that was and, of course, she was rewarded in the way dogs love best — with treats. Well, this one does. She’s not a little tubby spaniel for nothing. 😁




Nevertheless, it was clearly more stimulating than we thought because as soon as we returned to the Vereeniging, she sparked out on the sofa and slept for several hours. Bless her. We’ll have to take her out a few more times to  get her used to it all, but this has been a great start.


In other news, it’s going to rain again tomorrow, so I’ll be back at the crumbly cottage finishing the redecoration of our sunroom. I wonder what you’ll all be doing, allemaal?  
 

21 comments:

  1. Wonderfull that Zoe likes the boatworld as much as you both do! Lovely to read all your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Kathleen! I hope she continues to enjoy it! I’ll keep you posted.:)

      Delete
  2. Zoe is adorable. She’s a great addition to your boating family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is, Lisa. We are very happy to have been able to give her a home.

      Delete
  3. Our Sunday was tango (no surprises there) so a good deal of Monday will be resting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such dedicated dancers, Tom. I think it’s a wonderful pastime!

      Delete
  4. Zoe is such a beautiful little bundle of fur and I am so glad she seems to be taking to boating so well Val. We have been gardening in between the rain and still haven’t finished planting all the shrubs and flowers we bought recently. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Lorraine, your beautiful garden. I’m sure it will be glorious soon! Thank you for your kind words about our little tubby girl. She is gorgeous, it’s true :) xx

      Delete
  5. Oh how wonderful that Zoe enjoyed her first day out on the boat. She looks perfectly serene sitting in her bed and watching the world blur by :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s such a relief, Jo. I can’t tell you! Xx

      Delete
  6. Aww...a cause for celebration, Val! No one should have more than one Sindy in a lifetime...I'm so thankful Zoe is going to be a real sea-going lady! Lovely pictures. Belated Happy Mother's Day. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. It is definitely a relief that Zoe is so much easier. And thank you too for the kind Mother’s Day wishes. That’s lovely of you! ❤️

      Delete
  7. Zoe looks lovely. I hope the weather is holding good, and you have a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pradeep. It's lovely at the moment so we are enjoying it while it lasts!

      Delete
  8. Zoe looks gorgeous, the American Cocker is so pretty. It must be a relief to know she'll be ok on the boat, I dread to think how my Popcorn would be. He's very active and curious.
    I love the photo's of Zoe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you, David. Zoe is also very curious, so her lifejacket will be important. She wore it all afternoon yesterday and didn't seem to mind, so that's another relief. She is a pretty little thing, I agree. And very small for a Cocker, which makes me think she might be crossed with a Cavalier.

      Delete
  9. Aw, what a lovely family time you had. Paw-by-paw, what a fantastic start, Val. Well done to you all. These lovely photos show how well Zoe handled her experience. She'll be an old sea dog in no time at all! ;) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely time altogether. Thank you so much, Beth. I'm sure there'll be plenty more of Zoe as 2nd mate. :) xx

      Delete
  10. How lovely that Zoe has taken to boating, enjoyed the photos. Good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. I'm glad you like them. I expect there will be more as I'm a bit fond of this little dog already. :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Val - great to know she's so happy ... and as you say very fortunate - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)