Monday, May 08, 2023

The aftermath of the adventure

The only problem with writing about our travels is that I become so immersed in re-living the experiences I forget completely what I'm supposed to be doing. Maybe it's a kind of post-adventure blues, but I realise I've spent the past couple of weeks faffing around and doing very little except my paid work. I have a list longer than both arms of jobs to be done on the boats and (I hate to say) at the crumbly cottage. But I seem to have developed a peculiar lassitude at the very thought of doing maintenance and have jumped at any excuse not to get out there and get on with it.

Fortunately for my lazy side, the weather has been supporting my inertia. Far from being a beautiful, sunny spring, this April has been wet, cold and more than a bit dismal. Even Zoe has baulked at going out to do her business, which has resulted in one or two unfortunate 'accidents' indoors. I should add that my little princess doesn't like getting her paws wet, although I can't say I blame her...neither do I. But needs must, so the pair of us have trudged around the muddy roads, with me urging her to perform at every blade of grass, until she at last squats and drops. I in turn scoop the poop and, much relieved, the pair of us beat a hasty path home.

In brief, then, while I should have plenty to report in terms of jobs completed and plans made, I can only admit to cutting the grass twice, doing a bit of paltry weeding, hosing down the boats and looking gloomily at all the paintwork that needs refreshing. Until now, that is.

Today, I'm happy to say, has been a good one. We intended to spend the weekend on Vereeniging, but in the end, the weather again kept us housebound until yesterday. When we arrived, it was grey and cool but lovely to be back on board for more than just the daytime visits. We've done lots of those and even entertained Koos's son one weekend, but we haven't stayed over since we returned from our trip. 

The harbour is a lovely place to be and our view is better than a wide screen TV. Koos took the photo below this morning, and I should say this is a pretty usual scene on the Gent-Terneuzen Canal, but to be able to watch it from the boat is something pretty special.


And for a bit more of a closeup, I took this one below from our open hatch.


It can be quite distracting when ships of this scale come past twice an hour throughout the day, but for all that, I managed to clean and tidy the aft cabin, sand and oil its teak entrance and clean all the nooks and crannies on the engine room roof. I've also been busy cleaning the bilges, a lesson in love for oily bits!

Then this afternoon, we introduced Zoe to the Hennie H with its engine running. To my relief, she didn't seem bothered by it at all, and she spent a good half hour exploring the interior of the boat, probably in search of a stray snack. What the Hennie H lacked, however, I provided, figuring that if she associates running engines with nice goodies, she'll willingly get used to faring with us. I've bought her a lifejacket to wear on board when we're on the way. Doesn't she look smart in it?


Oh and one last mentionable event before I go: last Friday saw me back in Rotterdam for work. I arrived early in the morning, my absolute favourite time in the city, and I revelled in the tranquillity of my walk through the Oude Haven (my old home) and through the empty back streets along the river Rotte. Here are a few snaps I took just for the pleasure of the peaceful atmosphere in a city on the brink of waking.







So that's it for this time allemaal. Have a good one and I'll be back with more news and views from our world next week.

19 comments:

  1. Lovely to read about how the V is settling in and how you, Ms V, are finding your way back to routine after the mad dash (relatively speaking) to mover her to her new home. Zoe looks positively adorable in her lifejacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jo. it seems to be taking more time to come down than it did to wind up...haha. And yes, Zoe seems to like being dressed up, which is quite a bonus. :))

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos. The weather does not look as if it matches! Zoe is precious with and without the lifejacket! You are one of the hardest working folks I know. You don't have a "lazy side." Your body just wants a deep breath and a rest! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Steph, you are always so kind. but yes, the weather is distinctly dreary and lacking in spring joie de vivre, a bit like me...haha. You are very kind to say I don't have a lazy side, but judging by my current performance, I definitely do. Bless you! :)

      Delete
  3. Grey weather can make me feel a bit listless. But sounds like you've reverted to being a whirlwind again. That's a LOT done! Zoe looks full of the joys of Spring !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jenny, I’m so gkad I had at least one active day. It’s poured down the whole of today, so I’ve been hampered yet again.Thank you for the kind comment.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Kathleen. It’s great to know you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  5. After the "big move" I'm sure you deserve a bit of rest. I loved seeing Zoe in her life jacket looking very smart. You know I like photo's and the ones in Rotterdam are great, what a super place. I really liked the last picture of the grand old boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, David. I was sure, I’d answered your kind comment, but it seems I hadn’t. Rotterdam is a great city but my photos are of the older buildings along the old river. The modern architecture is what the city is known for. It’s really worth seeing too.

      Delete
  6. Weather can be unpredictable, and it can throw our plans into disarray. Lovely read, and nice pictures, as always. Take care, and have a good time,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Pradeep!I’m glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  7. You've had so much going on, Val, you needed some downtime. I love the photos from your new spot. Who needs TV with all that fascinating action? Great news about getting Zoe used to the Hennie H, I adore her lifejacket! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Beth. It’s kind of you to excuse me, but I really have just been faffing and am trying to get back into some kind of productivity. You’re right about the view from our new place. It honestly is a movie in itself, just fantastic! Xxx

      Delete
  8. I'm not surprised you felt a bit lethargic after that journey to your new home. The dismal weather doesn't help at all. Hopefully it will brighten up and be warmer soon! Zoe looks gorgeous in her new lifejacket, so sweet. Fantastic photos as always, what a sight to watch those huge barges moving along the canal. It must be a constant distraction. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rebecca. A distraction it certainly is. We keep stopping and staring :) At this rate, noth8ng much will ever get done 😂

      Delete
  9. I don't blame you feeling lassititudish(?) after all that adventuring! 😴😴😴😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Aidan, I like that word. I shall adopt it forthwith. 😄

      Delete
  10. Hi Val - good to meet Zoe - and yes her jacket does look smart ... I'm going to read forward ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)