Sunday, May 28, 2023

Harbour visits and visitors

This post is going to be a relatively short one. Mind you, I've said that before and ended up rabbiting on about nothing in particular, so let's see what I come up with. 

The thing is there isn't really much to relate this week. We've been blessed with some lovely sunny weather since last weekend, so much of the time, I've been escaping work duties to potter around my little garden and enjoy doing jobs on the Vereeniging and the Hennie H. There's always so much to be done, but this year we've started everything late. I blame the weather for that, though. It's only just warmed up enough to spend much time outdoors.

Today has been particularly lovely, so this morning we woke up on the Vereeniging with the sun streaming through the window and the reflection of rippling water on the ceiling. Lovely. Koos took the car round to the Hennie H with all our tools while Zoe and I walked over to continue with a project we, but mostly Koos, have been working on since the winter — expanding our tiny loo into a throne room of more comfortable dimensions (photos will follow when it's finished). 

It (the loo) was so small, even I couldn't easily stand to arrange my clothing, so poor Koos really struggled. The new enlarged version is infinitely more accommodating. Anyway, after making some very good progress with installing wall cladding and a ceiling, we returned to the Vereeniging the same way: Koos in the car, Zoe and me on foot. At just under a kilometre each way it gave us (Zoe and me) some exercise, and Koos and I wanted to take a look at some visitors to the harbour.

Hard to see but at the far end are two very cute small tugboats

Next week, from 1 to 4 June, there is a major classic boat festival at Ostend, called Ostend at Anchor, and some 150 traditional craft will be gathering there. If you'd like to know more about it, here is a link to the event's website. This afternoon, five beautiful old tugboats arrived in our harbour, participants in the festival who'd come across the Westerschelde (Western Scheldt) and will be staying overnight. I assume they'll be leaving for the next leg of their journey tomorrow. However, from Sas to Ostend by water is only around 80kms (50 miles), so not all that far. Who knows? Maybe they'll stay an extra day or stop in Bruges (Brugge) for a day. Whatever they do, they were a lovely sight to see opposite the Vereeniging and a welcome, if temporary, addition to our historic harbour.

More immaculate tugboats with flags flying


The Vereeniging from the other side

And a zoomed-in view

The Hennie H is just under a kilometre's walk
from the Vereeniging now. 

Still a lot of tidying to do in my scruffy garden, but I keep being
distracted by the view

Not very recent, but I found this photo on
my phone. Some random tulips and daffodils
growing at the edge of the lake near the cottage

Apparently, the fine weather is set to continue, so we'll try and keep up the momentum on the boats. We're also planning our summer faring now, so I'll tell you about that next time. See? It really is a short post for me, isn’t it? 

For now, then, have a good week, allemaal, and I'll be back with news and views from here in Zeeland next week.





 

13 comments:

  1. Ooooooh dear Oostende our 2nd home! It will be lovely weather this week! Thank you so much for this amazing post and have a fantastic time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too for reading it, Kathleen. Sadly, we aren't going to Oostende ourselves; it's the tugboats that are on their way there. I'm not sure I'd want to go with the boat...a bit too crowded for me, but I'd love to visit the festival.

      Delete
  2. Shirley Read-Jahn12:03 am, May 29, 2023

    I was invited on a tugboat in San Francisco once. I loved it! Plus, when on a 2.5 month cruise on the Alblasserdyk (Holland-America line) in 1954, I well remember the splendid tugboats accompanying us in and out of ports. We were 3 of only 12 passengers aboard the cargo ship. Those tugboats are such workhorses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they fantastic, Shirley? We see huge tugboats on the canal from the coast to Ghent here. They guide the big sea ships along the waterway. I love watching them too. That must have been a fantastic experience to travel on a cargo ship!

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy for you that the weather has finally warmed up enough to get on with all that maintenance work. At least with the two boats so close to each other you can switch between them a little more easily now. The Vereeniging looks splendid in her new home btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. Yes, it's a lot easier now to work on both of them. I'm glad you like the pics of her in her new setting. :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely blog and photos - as always. And who wouldn't be distracted by that view! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Steph! It's a very peaceful outlook!

      Delete
  5. I'm really pleased that the weather has improved enough for you to get work done on Hennie H.The new loo sounds like a fairly major job! How lovely that Hennie H and the Vereeniging are so close to each other now - so much easier for you both. I love your photos, life in the harbour is never dull. Wishing you more good weather. It's been fine here so I have finally got some work done in the garden too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, as always, Rebecca. I’m so pleased to have some decent weather at last. I’m sure you must be as well. You’re right. There’s never a dull moment in our world.

      Delete
  6. The Vereeniging looks splendid amongst all the other craft there. Zoe must enjoy those walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m pleased you like the setting, David. It’s beautiful, isn’t it? Yes, Zoe loves the walks around here. There are some lovely nature rambles. The only problem at the moment is the ticks. i have to inspect her carefull after every walk. Her furry coat makes it difficult to find them. I’m looking forward to her getting a summer trim in two weeks. It’s taken ages to find a trimmer with a slot free for her.

      Delete
  7. Hi Val - it all looks lovely around your crumbly cottage ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)