Sunday, August 22, 2021

All decked out

 This summer, if I can even call it that, has possibly been the wettest, coolest and least helpful to a boat owner such as myself that I can remember in all the years I've lived in the Netherlands. I keep reading reports about July having been the hottest on record. Well, it may have been in some parts of the world, but definitely not here. In fact, as I see it, summer has given us a miss this year.

As a result, work on both the Vereeniging and the Hennie H has been a matter of hurling paint onto whatever surfaces I could prepare quickly between the storms and downpours. And then keeping my fingers firmly crossed that the paint will have time to dry enough before the next deluge.

In between, of course, I've had my 'wholly hole project' (aka my cupboard building exercise—see last week's post) and now I've finished one, I've started on the next one. It makes good wet weather entertainment, that's for sure, and stops me getting cabin fever.

Here's a photo of my new hole.


As for the title of this post, I did, with the sterling help of my wonderful daughter, manage to scrape and paint my Vereeniging's foredeck this last week.

If I say this is always a big job regardless of the weather, you'll understand that to do the whole thing in two days is, for us, nothing short of miraculous. It's also difficult because it is the only access point to the barge, so I did one third of it on the port side on Wednesday. Then my daughter came over early yesterday morning and we did the rest of the washing down, scraping sanding, and painting by 3 o'clock. A marathon effort, after which we were, as I've said, totally decked out. So thanks Jo!! 

Doesn't she look smart?



I have now scooted back to Zeeland and am praying last night's rain hasn't damaged the new paint. It's best if I leave it a few days before walking over it again anyway, so I'll have to contain my impatience until sometime midweek when I'll go back again to inspect the situation.

As for the Hennie H, my hole is really the least of the projects going on there. Koos is doing magnificent things in the engine room and with luck (and maybe a bit of good weather ... please) it will all be ready for the inspector to come back and check it again very soon. The best thing is that we've heard the new engine running, and it sounds great: sweet, rumbly and very much alive.

Keep everything crossed for us allemaal. Who knows? We might get a couple of away days on board yet!


12 comments:

  1. Hi Val how I admire your work ethic painting the forefeck of Veereniging in two days. Hope it has dried nicely when you next inspect it! The cupboard on Hennie H looks excellent too! Well done! Crossing fingers that you get a late Indian Summer in September. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment, Jean, and my apologies for the late reply. I'm also hoping for a little Indian summer. That would be wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Val. Your way of living would be so perfect if the weather were better! Congrats to you and Jo for a sterling job! She is beautiful and if she can feel - must feel very loved! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Steph. You are so right. The weather is the only thing to mar the perfection of this life. Thank you, my friend xx

      Delete
  3. When a Dutch person says the weather has been bad....the weather has been bad!
    We've had very little summer here in central France. Temps in the lower 30's for three days two weeks ago but the rest of the time cloudy and cool.
    Happy to hear about Hennie's engine. Hope you can do some fairing soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Don and Cathy Jo. I'm sorry you haven't had so much of a summer there either, but it must be so very good to be back on Old Timer! Good news for us is that today they Hennie H's engine installation was approved by the inspector...whoohoo!! We are planning a weekend of faring to celebrate! Happy faring to you two as well. I shall look forward to your continued posts.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I love the title of your blog...we do the same! :))

      Delete
  5. How strange are the vagaries of the weather - your cold/wet Summer contrasts with the many hot dry fires in the Northern hemisphere lately. Well done with the painting, and she sure does look shop shape. Your cupboard building is superb too, you must be a secret 'tradie' as we call them in Australia. Hope you can take off fairing before Winter sets in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Patricia. Give me a piece of wood and a few tools and I'm happy. I've made the new cupboard now, so I hope I'll be able to instal it soon and post some photos. Wishing you a lovely spring there in Australia!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations for all of the work you've done, Val! That's an enormous effort, and Vereeniging's looking very proud of herself! We've had the same weather problems, and our paint retouching jobs are still unfinished. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Roger. I'll keep everything crossed for you two as well. It's been a frustrating summer for completing paint jobs, hasn't it?

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)