Friday, July 02, 2021

Sidestepping

Most readers here know that I commute regularly between Rotterdam and the crumbly cottage in the far south of the Netherlands. Now, while I try and vary my route as much as possible, I rarely take sidesteps to explore places off the beaten track, mostly because I'm in a hurry to get from A to B.

It does happen now and then, though, when Koos is with me. Since it's usually him I am hurrying to get home to, the occasions when he travels with me make for a more relaxing ride, and a bit of diversion gives the journey the feeling of a day trip rather than a commute.

Last week was one such occasion, so on the way back from Rotterdam, I mentioned to Koos that I'd never been to Yerseke before. "Well, there's no time like the present," he said, amazing me once again with his knowledge of English expressions.

According to Wikipedia, Yerseke is a "small village on the southern shore of the Oosterschelde estuary" and has a population of 6,695 inhabitants. That doesn't seem very small, but then the Dutch interpretation of cities, towns and villages has always puzzled me.

Essentially, Yerseke is a fishing town and has, predictably, several fish restaurants around its busy harbour area. It also has a row of oyster breeding ponds behind the sea dyke, so these delicacies are a great attraction for those who enjoy eating them. It was grey blustery day, though, so two things prevented us from sampling any of their offerings. The first was the smell of fish, which I can't bear, and the second was the need to sit outside. That said, others were braver and it was good to see the restaurants open again. Koos did go into one restaurant to see if he could buy some kibbeling (small portions of fish in batter) to take away, but they totally ignored him, so he left without ordering. An odd attitude given that they must be desperate to make up for lost custom during the lockdowns.

We had a pleasant walk around the harbour as I hope the photos below will show. However, our general assessment was that the most appealing parts of Yerseke are its old dock area and its wonderful, long and unspoilt beach. 

The marina dominates the main tourist spots

But this old dock area with its tidal mudflats is what I
really liked.

Low tide reveals where water exits from (I presume) the oyster
breeding ponds, but I'm not sure of that.

A closer view of the outlet.

Notice the height of the poles on which the pontoons are fixed.
High tides can be very high here, it seems.

This is real

The wide, unspoilt beach

I love the fact there are no huts, kiosks or attractions here.
The only points of colour are the bins!

 Although not a very picturesque place, we found Yerseke attractive and could understand why it's a popular holiday spot. Koos did eventually find his kibbeling at a fishy takeaway further off the main track. He pronounced it to be the best he'd ever eaten, so that's a great compliment to Yerseke.


Enjoy your weekend allemaal and hopefully the summer will return before my next blog. It seems to have given up trying for the moment.

12 comments:

  1. Glad Koos finally got his fish! And that you got such great pictures in spite of the wind. I love the beach. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph! You’ve made my day with your comment. The beach is glorious, you are right!

      Delete
  2. Yerseke really is amazing. We ate once 'Mosselen' there. Wonderful Blogpost Val!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathleen. I know 'Zeeuwse Mosselen' are very popular in Belgium, aren't they?

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, I would love a walk around that old harbour, so picturesque and perfect subjects for painting. Love the boat that is high and dry - it has the prettiest cabin. And a beach to walk on is Always a good thing. So funny how some businesses act like that, despite the difficult times. Happens here too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to hear from you, Trish. Hopefully one day you'll be able to come over and walk around some of these harbours too. Yes, the lack of customer service in these times is a bit of a mystery, isn't it? Maybe everyone's just tired of everything!

      Delete
  4. I was annoyed on Koos's behalf, reading this, but am glad he found his kibbeling. Another nice read. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading it, Adrian!It's never nice to be ignored, is it? I start having uncharitable thoughts about the ignorers and their future careers.

      Delete
  5. This is another lovely blog post Val.It does look like an interesting and rather attractive town. It's always fun to visit a new place but how rude of the restaurant owner to ignore Koos. I would most definitely have uncharitable thoughts too. So glad he did manage to get some though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, I think poor customer service is one of the few things that really riles me. It's just as well I was waiting outside :D
      It was lovely to go there, though. We did enjoy our sidestep! Thank you so much for commenting xx

      Delete
  6. Val, you always take me to new places with your descriptive writing and great photos. Thank you for introducing me to Yerseke! Lynn M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Lynn! I love to show people these different corners of this country.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)