Thursday, May 28, 2020

Filling in the gaps

Once again, I've let my blog slip. I can only say it's because I've just been too occupied with the changes to my teaching life to be able to focus on the internet in general and my favourite place on the web in particular.

So just to fill in a few gaps, I'll mention the few diversions we've had since we came back from Rotterdam. I will admit that apart from work, there hasn't been all that much going on and nothing as uplifting (sorry) as being on the slipway. Still, there's been a birthday and a weekend staying on the Hennie H to relieve the routine.

We arrived back at the crumbly cottage on Tuesday, 12 May after our two weeks in Rotterdam, and I spent the rest of the week catching up with work commitments, which was quite intense. So at the weekend I was thrilled by the arrival of my daughter and her boyfriend early on Sunday morning. They brought me Tommy, my very own moped, as a truly wonderful early birthday surprise. Tommy is actually a Tomos. He is what we call a snorfiets, which means he is licensed to run at a maximum of 25kms per hour. He can actually do 32kms, but I shouldn't push him to that anyway. As you might be able to see, I was very chuffed as I've wanted a Tommy for quite a while. So ideal for running to the shops, or taking a spin along the dykes.



These two photos below are evidence of my first ride out. I was a bit nervous, but I enjoyed myself tremendously. I've been out on him twice since, but more practice is undoubtedly needed. I'm currently scared of going downhill, turning corners, meeting cars, having to avoid people, bikes, horses, stray bugs and beetles...okay, just about everything. But I'll get there and I love it.




After Tommy's arrival at the house, the next stop was the Henny H where my daughter and her man had put up bunting and organised a birthday breakfast. It was all too lovely and I was deeply touched. Surprises like these always bring out my soppy side and I was quite overwhelmed. Of course, my grandpup came too and had to be part of the proceedings.



I am blessed with the most wonderful daughters, I really am. My eldest also treated me to a surprise visit on Mother's Day while we were in Rotterdam on the helling and brought me a handmade book she'd made and illustrated herself. They give me so much and are so thoughtful. If you're reading this, thank you my lovely girls.

Anyway, last weekend we punctuated the week's work with a sleepover on the Hennie H. At first we only intended to stay Friday night, but we liked being there so much, we stayed Saturday night as well. Even though the harbour is a mere two and a half kilometres from the house, it felt like a holiday and it did us both good. 

I should also add that our much loved English neighbour in the village has sold his house to a man who has bought it to let. Tim, the former owner, used to come over three to four times a year, and even then, it was just him and his dog. For the rest of the year, we had no neighbours on either side. However, the house on the other side of us is also being rented. Like Tim, the former owners were just occasional visitors. 

Now, Koos and I are not misanthropists as such, but we like our privacy and have got used to a quiet life. We definitely aren't used to full-time neighbours, especially Koos. Until Corona, we weren't together for half the time anyway, and once life goes back to normal, so will we.  However, for the moment not only have we had to get accustomed to living in each other's pockets, we now have a lively family of five on one side and a couple who like to live outside on the other. Escape is required and, luckily, the Hennie H provides the sanctuary we need.

This weekend, we'll probably go there again. There's plenty of work to do on board, and it's good motivation to get on with it.

For now, then allemaal, I hope you're enjoying the relaxing of some of the restrictions and you're all staying well. We're still having the most beautiful weather here. The forecast tells us it will continue for another week...just until lockdown is lifted. Then, when we have more freedom of movement, it will start raining again. Which of you mentioned Murphy? Yes, well, he always has something up his sleeve, doesn't he? 

Till next time.


10 comments:

  1. Lovely blog as always, and what lovely daughters you have. Happy, Joyful Birthday....sorry it's belated wishes from here. And as for Murphy - Murphy stay out! We are still under lockdown here and the sun is still shining...for now! :-) Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. I’m afraid Murphy always has some input when it comes to the weather :)

      Delete
  2. It's good to hear from you again, Val, and to share your lovely birthday with your family. What a fabulous present! Our restrictions don't yet allow a family get-together like that, so the best we can manage is Skype - better than nothing! We live in hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Roger, I'm so sorry you're still so restricted. I think we are quite fortunate really. Today we were able to go to a café and sit outside. Our terraces are quite busy again, although there is a maximum number they are allowed to take. Even so, it feels like a move towards normal life again. The weather is so beautiful too it must be doing us all good to be outside. Look after yourselves!

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed this, Val! Thanks for sharing your part of the world with us. So glad you had a wonderful birthday!!Enjoy your "Tommy" moped (Tomos). Oh we have had so much rain here. But today it was lovely in the sun. Just made my heart SING! Tomorrow back to cloudy but quite warm, so I don't mind that as much. Have a wonderful week!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I’m sorry to hear about all your rain. We’ve been terribly dry here. I love it of course, but the farmers are desperate for some rain. Thank you for reading my blog, dear xx

      Delete
  4. Three cheers for for Tommy (and Mo or is it Jo?)! You are indeed blessed.
    The word "snorfiets" (gesuntheit) has me in giggles. Nonetheless, I can indeed picture you with your knees in the breeze exploring your neighbourhood!
    I can also empathise with you regarding having constant neighbours. With the relaxing of the Covid-induced rulings, we are seeing so many visitors who have cabins being here now on a full-time basis. Many are not working and the schools are still closed. However, one of the things I have gleaned from all this, is my penchant for staying home, shopping local and loving our little valley is very much appreciated now!
    Keep well, Val and Koos! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Dale. I also laughed at the word Snorfiets. It is so descriptive, isn't it? Thank you for your empathy, my friend. It's harder than I ever realised, but we have to bear with it. I'm glad you are happy to be at home in your beautiful world.

      Delete
  5. Sounds as if your restrictions are not too heavy there, and you are lucky to have the bolthole!!! I am sure you will keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky, I know, Jenny. Keeping smiling is definitely the plan :)

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)