Monday, June 08, 2020

plexiglass, plastic and people

The back road to Belgium



For the first time since March the 12th, I actually met some students and colleagues face to face last Friday and what a lovely first step back to normal life it was. Not that it was really normal, because circumstances and policy dictate that we still have to take quite stringent measures to avoid infection.

Although the schools aren't completely open yet, we had to conduct some speaking tests for students taking their ESL exams. I am one of the examiners and I was together with a team I haven't seen for months (other than on video), so it was really quite a special reunion. We still had to keep our distance from each other. No hugs, cheek kissing (not even air kissing), or any kind of touching were allowed, but we made up for it in spirited conversation.

The examining itself took some getting used to. Instead of tables quite close together, where the candidates sit next to each other and share certain tasks, they had to be separated and even further divided with plexiglass screens. The examiners too had screens in front of their desks, and we had to wear plastic gloves. Instead of booklets, we had wipe clean laminated exam materials. It was a bit of a scuffle now and then, especially for me.

I'm a bit absent minded at times, I confess. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to remembering procedures. I'm that mother who forgets to feed her children until they holler, or cooks food for visitors without ever giving it to them. Once, years ago, I made fried eggs for a visiting boyfriend and found them a week later. No wonder he didn't hang around.

Anyway, apart from forgetting to change the materials until seconds before the next round, and then giving the wrong speaking task to the wrong student on one occasion (luckily no one noticed and it didn't matter anyway), it all went well enough. Some of the students looked a bit alarmed by the unexpected screening, but we did our best to make them relax and feel comfortable; not that we were all that at ease either. It was a toss up as to who was more nervous, but I'm guessing the students won that one.

I often muse on whether this is going to be part of that 'new normal' everyone's talking about now. Seriously, I have a feeling some things are going to change permanently as a result of the Coronoa crisis. Not only do we have a whole new way of teaching, otherwise known as Zooming, we may well have to employ more rigorous practices when it comes to classroom and exam work in the future.

I'd love to think things will go back to the way they were again, but I do wonder. What do you think?

Meanwhile, the border between the Netherlands and Belgium will be open again next week. I'm very much looking forward to crossing over and returning to my customary shops. We've had to drive quite a bit further in recent months to go to the hardware store, the pharmacy and the bigger supermarkets. It will be a relief to go to our nearest serious town, which just happens to be in Belgium.

That'll be a little bit of 'old' routines back again.

Have a good week allemaal. Here are a few photos of our surroundings now.


It's poppy time. I love poppies.


The Belgian border nearby. That gap on the right?
That's where the bicycles creep through

Koos might look a bit serious, but we were actually enjoying our first cup of
coffee at a local hostelry in several months. They are now opening up.
Another step towards normal life, but all at a distance, of course.
The photo foreshortens things, but everyone was the regulation 1,5m apart.
Interestingly, many of the customers were from Belgium, where they still
have more restrictions than we do, but our borders are open while theirs aren't.

20 comments:

  1. Super musings once again, Val. Gosh, it must have been so strange adopting the new work procedures, it sounds as though you did incredibly well under the circs. I'm so glad you can cross borders again soon, and how lovely to have that coffee, I can't wait to get back to our favourite café! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for commenting, Beth. It will be lovely to resume just a little of our normal lifestyle.

      Delete
  2. It is interesting to see how things are going over in your part of the world Val. Certainly the examination would have been very strange for all. I think, alas, things will never go back to how they were, at least not for many years. We have had our first coffee shop visits since last February, such a long time. I am very cautious and wary, because there is still no cure or vaccine, but I notice some friends are less so, and do not really observe the rules. Poppies are lovely, just like in Monet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, I'm sure you're right, although when I also think that I have personally lived through four pandemics (this being the fourth), I wonder why so few measures were taken in the past. The worst one I remember was the Hong Kong flu, which I'm pretty sure I had as I was very ill indeed with very severe flu that year, but it was just accepted, I suppose. There have been two others in between that many people don't even remember. It's all very strange. The observance of the social distancing is quite lax here as well. I'm glad you like the poppies. I love them too.

      Delete
  3. Nice you and Koos got out for a coffee, Val. And the reunion with your team must have been nice if not a bit weird with the 'new norm'. Things still seem like an alternate universe to me as we're basically following the same rules that were set in place in March. I'm still getting my groceries picked up curbside. I've always hated grocery shopping anyway and it's very hard for me to wear my mask for long periods of time, so no matter what happens I'm going to stick with ordering on line and picking it up. My personal shopper is getting used to me now. It seems I might be the only one doing it as I have no problem picking a time slot for the next day pickup. I've noticed many folks when I do have to get out that are not observing the 'rules', acting very lax. I did do something 'normal' a cpl. weeks ago, had a SD visit with one of my friends over at her place out in her garden. We had some wine and a natter. It was great for my mental attitude. Still haven't seen the grandkids. I finally made a hair appt. for 3rd. July. That will probably be the thing that makes me feel the most normal. I would like to go out to eat as the restaurants in our little town have opened at 50% capacity with all tables measured per health dept. standards, but I don't feel comfortable with that. Our county and state of Colorado are doing great, no increase in cases but... The poppies are pretty and love the little Belgian border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely newsy comment, Laurie. It's good to know Colorado is doing well, and if you've got ordering online down well, then I'd stick to it too. We haven't done it as we heard so many stories of people getting the wrong goods, but as our local shops are in quite a rural area, it's easy to go when it's very quiet. I'm glad you managed an SD visit with a friend, Laurie. It's important for the morale. I noticed that with the examining. It felt so good to just be with people again. Look after yourself, and I so hope you get to see your grandkids soon. I shall watch out for the photoshoot after the hairdresser! Oh and I'm glad you like the poppies. I love them too :)

      Delete
  4. Yes, the new normal. I'm not really sure what that means,but it doesn't sound like many people will take to it easily. Your school sounds like they are offering the safest way to bring the teachers and students together again. It's so sad for the students, though. I think back on college days and fondly remember the gatherings, meeting new friends, etc. It must be terribly difficult for those who are transitioning from the old ways to the new. But, it also saddens me to think that the new generation will only know this sterile environment. On a cheery note, thoughts of a confused ex boyfriend wondering where his breakfast is. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Patti. I really hope we’ll be able to resume normal life again as it would be very sad for young people not to know the freedoms we’ve had. I’m glad you enjoyed my absent minded mishap. It still makes me laugh :)

      Delete
  5. A great blog as always, Val. Thanks for sharing. We are completely locked down here in Scotland, so I have no idea of what the future holds. I believe the U.S. is totally open and back to normal, at least in the two states where my sisters live. So glad you get your old haunts back! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Steph, that’s hard.The upside for us is that you keep writing wonderful books! Thank you! Xxx

      Delete
  6. It must be so good to get out for a coffee and have some face to face happenings at work. I don’t like the thought of those Perspex screens but you have to do what you need to do. I’m shielding and the latest yesterday for Scotland is we have to stay shielded until 31st aug. Although after the 18 th June we can go for a walk. This week is my 13 th week at home . Not been outside our door apart from garden which is small. I don’t see it getting any better for people with heath conditions until a vaccine is found. But we have to plod on and at least I haven’t got the virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I so hope you can get out and about soon. I think I would have gone stir crazy if I’d had to stay in doors as long as you have. Hats off, Anne! Xx

      Delete
  7. I honestly don't know what is going to happen. I feel, now that it is spiking again that we are a long way off from going back to normal. It's lovely hearing of your meeting others. We haven't done that at all, and it is strange to say the least. Sadly I am on the reddit Covid19 push notifications and what some people are enduring is not good. All plans for holidays cancelled until next year. Positively, I am gardening and getting pretty good at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. String, it's very sad to hear that you have no end to the restrictions in sight. I shall keep everything crossed that the situation in the UK settles soon. It must be very hard, but I like your positive side. I too am gardening a little. I'm growing vegetables in pots. It's lovely to see the seeds sprouting.

      Delete
  8. It's good to hear things are beginning to improve for you, Val - though I can imagine you'll want more "normal" exam conditions next year. I think we in the UK have some way to go yet. Enjoy!

    (I doubt that there's anything you can do about this, but I have twice now signed up in the box top right to be notified when you post, and I am never notified. (:-()

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roger. Yes. I too hope exams will be normal next year. It all feels very strange still. As for your signing up to receive notifications, that's very odd. I honestly don't know how that works. I only know when you've posted because I have you on my blog list, but I hoped that the email notification thing would work. Apparently not. I'll check my settings and see if there's anything there I can adjust, but I fear it's out of my control. Thanks for coming by, anyway!

      Delete
  9. I haven't been to my office since March 24. The next day India went into lockdown. It's been relaxed considerably, and quite expectedly the numbers are rising.

    It's quite weird feeling not going to office. Probably, I will go to office one of these days, just to take a break from being at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame, Pradeep. I hope the numbers don't force another lockdown. It's good to get out and about again, I have to say. I hope you can get that break you want!

      Delete
  10. That pic of the poppy field looks so soothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Haddock! It does, doesn't it?

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)