Saturday, June 20, 2020

Lifting lockdown in a special way

It's been an odd couple of weeks. I'm struggling towards the end of the academic year and have to admit to feeling tired. My inclination to mark assignments, motivate students and keep the smile going on camera is fading, as is my enthusiasm for producing the articles I write for the university's language centre blog. All this means I've been a bit backward with my own blog.

To catch up then, I'm just going to do a kind of picture post of the last week's highlights, which included some new experiences for me.

The first of these was when during a walk last Sunday, we stumbled across the airstrip for a local gliding club. We approached with some hesitation because it wasn't actually open to visitors but no one seemed to mind. In fact, they weren't strictly open at all except to members of the club, but we were told we were welcome to watch and we were both fascinated by this wonderful way of lifting that lockdown feeling.


The VW camper van above is their clubhouse. I loved the ‘control tower’ on top of it. They had everything they needed on it, but reception was the table under the umbrella. It had a wonderfully 'cool' air about it all.


This was the little John Deere tractor that pulled the gliders into place once they'd landed.


And here is a glider that was ready to take off. There were two people on board and we watched them go through the pre-flight checks. There didn't seem to be all that many; just a few flaps to wiggle and they were ready to go. I would love to try it sometime, and I know Koos would too. I used to have an ambition to go sky-diving, but this looks just as much fun and distinctly less terrifying.


And here is the same glider just before it left the ground. It's amazing to see them being launched by a single cable drawn by a winch somewhere at the end of the field.



Later that day, I went on a ride around the dykes and saw these gorgeous babies in one of the nearby nature reserves. The one in the foreground looked very new to the world.


During the week, I like to cycle to the shops and this is my sturdy steed. I took its photo while waiting for the bridge to close after the two coasters below had been through. Funnily enough, we nearly always have to wait for the bridge one way or the other, but it's never a hardship when we can watch these stately sea-goers passing through.



Then on Thursday, it was back to Rotterdam again for some more examining. This time I went by bus and train, so I had to don one of the disposable masks I'd bought for just such occasions. I've seen some very fetching, nicely fitted masks around, but I'm afraid these twenty per box types aren't designed for beauty. It was strange to be on public transport with everyone covered up. Luckily it wasn't busy and as there can only be one person per pair of seats, the space was marvellous. I don't mind how long this 'distancing' goes on if I can have that much elbow room, I must admit.


The last photo below is one I snapped on a walk today in Belgium. We celebrated the newly open borders by going for a verwenkoffie (treat yourself coffee with advocaat and ice cream. Sinfully yummy) at an outside terrace in Zelzate, after which we walked along the canal to enjoy the Belgian side of the waterway again. This pusher was 'parking barges, so of course we had to stop and watch the action.


So that's a snapshot of the past week up as far as today. The lockdown is lifting and it's great to be resuming some kind of normal life. I hope you're able to do so too!

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend, allemaal and keep well wherever you are.

15 comments:

  1. Yes, it has been difficult keeping one's spirits up for such a long period of restrictions. I did better at the beginning, but have flagged a lot in the past month. Lovely to see your photos and it is so good you could go walking and have that very special coffee in Belgium. That VW camper van is really cute, and fun to see the gliders in action. Take care, stay safe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. I think it’s the combination: end of year fatigue and lockdown lethargy. I hope the coming weeks will have me buzzing again. I liked that camper too! It really tickled me that it was their office and control tower all i one!

      Delete
  2. All those walks and rides you’ve been on look amazing. Your lockdown is better than our lockdown (yes ok, I apologise for being so competitive). In the last 12 plus weeks I’ve only been into a shop once and that was our local chemist. The fear is that with Rod being shielded due to his health issues, it’s dragging on longer for us. When we are finally allowed out I may have become too agoraphobic to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ros. I hope you can get back to normal again before too long. The trouble with these viruses is that they take time to 'burn themselves out' so to speak. Look after yourself and perhaps you can start going places with a mask on. It's great to be outside and our cafés are all outdoor terraces with the tables set far apart. The waiters all wear masks as well, so it's being sensibly organised.

      Delete
    2. We too here in Spain are coming out of lock down, movement allowed to different provinces and people can come on holiday. Mask wearing is compulsory so I made myself some out of cotton so easily washable.
      Lovely photos and love the gliding club truck.
      Sounds like it is time for a long holiday and a rest for you Val. Take care and stay safe x

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Linda. I'm looking forward to a break now, I must admit, but we are fortunate in having a bit more freedom. Having said that, those who abuse it get jumped on pretty smartly, so it's not all easy come easy go here. Obey the rules, though, and you can go where you want. I'm so glad you're getting more freedom of movement now, though. That must be a relief! Keep well, dear!

      Delete
  3. Happy, fascinating blog as always, Val. Thanks. As for us, our lockdown in Scotland has NOT lifted at all. Nuff said. Love your photos, and the one of you is great! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Steph. Poor you! At least you can fill your time writing. I'd hate to be in that situation with nothing to do. You are so resourceful, though. Well done for using your time so creatively.

      Delete
  4. Everything is opening here, but at what cost? Our new case numbers are at the height they were when we were told to stay home. Being naturally reclusive, I am not missing going out. But, I do miss seeing my family. You're blessed with so much to see and do. Plus, public transport takes this pandemic seriously. I only wish they did so here. Stay well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti. Yes, we are freer, but only as long as people obey the rules. The fines are heavy if you don't, so it's a good incentive. You look after you first, Patti. I know Chris Moore has the same concerns as you do XX

      Delete
  5. It's good to have you back, Val. I'm sorry to hear how things seem to be getting on top of you. I remember this time of year as a secondary school teacher. Too much to do, too little time to do it in. Your walks and cycles must bring blessed relief. (I recommend retirement!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Roger, I'm afraid there's no retirement in sight for me yet. I came here too late to qualify for anything but a very meagre pension, so I'll have to keep working and writing, but I don't mind too much, I must say. As long as I get my summer break I'll be fine. I hope you two are staying well!

      Delete
  6. You are right, it's quite a challenge to keep up the spirits during these times. Home confinement is something that one associates with illness, and that itself makes one feel unwell!

    I have had occasions to talk to students on video. It's quite a challenge. Since most students don't turn on their camera, I get a feeling that I am talking to the laptop screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point about staying home being associated with being unwell, Pradeep. I never thought of that aspect, but you could be right. I'm sorry your students don't turn on their cameras. Can't you insist that they do?

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)