Monday, November 11, 2019

A weekend of communal activity

What a difference a day makes. This last weekend, we had what is called a Klussendag in the Oude Haven in Rotterdam. 'Klus' in Dutch means something akin to an odd job and a klussendag is when lots of us get together to do a variety of odd jobs around the shipyard and slipway. We used to have them regularly at one time, but management changed, other things changed and the work days fell by the wayside.

Much to my pleasure, our director decided we needed to have one in preparation for the 'lighting up' evening, which is when all the boats who have them string Christmas lights over their masts and make the harbour look very festive. I thought it was a bit early for that, but if it provided an excuse for a clean up day and a get together, I was all for it.

Saturday morning wasn't encouraging, though. When Koos and I woke, it was pouring with rain, so I wondered how many people would actually turn out to do any klussen. Fortunately, the rain stopped at around 10:30, so off we went to the yard with a broom in my hands and a camera in Koos's as he was the photographer of the day). 

It was great fun chatting with neighbours while we swept up leaves, cleared gutters and tidied the area. I especially enjoyed the chance to talk to neighbours I only really knew by sight and to practise my ever faltering Dutch. Because I don't use it for work, and Koos and I speak our own odd mix of English and Dutch, I rarely have complete Dutch conversations with anyone so it was good experience for me. 

Sweeping and cleaning with the neighbours

When we'd finished, we went back to the boat while some of the others prepared for the lighting up party that started in the late afternoon. Meanwhile, my daughter and her boyfriend came to visit and a convivial time was had by all until it was time to go back to the yard. After a short speech, our director gave the signal and all the lights came on. Aren't they pretty? These are the snaps I took. Not the best quality, but they give a good idea.





I spent a short time at the party, where it was lovely to catch up with some of the other harbour residents I haven't seen for a while, but I have to admit it was much too cold for me and by 6:30 pm I was back on board leaving Koos to do the honours and talk for both of us.

The next day was a complete change. It was freezing when we woke, but the sun was shining and the day positively sparkled although it remained chilly. However, that didn't prevent the usual courageous souls from getting down to basics (in this instance, their underwear) and floating around the harbour in these marvellous hot tubs. I've shown photos of these before, but they still fascinate me, especially when the weather's so cold.



You can see here what a beautiful and cloudless day it was. Today, though, it's back to normal and raining again.





On the plus side, I took advantage of yesterday's dry weather to cover my entire engine room roof with a tarpaulin in an effort to stop the rain seeping in through my back window gutter.

To backtrack a bit, last Friday I ripped off all the paneling from the wall beneath the window and found the most dreadful mess. The leak I wrote about in my post before last has been coming through a rusty weld where the window frame joins the barge framework. I hadn't been able to see it because it was covered in wood, but everything beneath the wood was completely sodden: the insulation, the back of the panels, you name it. Some of it was black with mould too, so heaven knows how long it's been going on.

After puzzling about how to stop it getting worse, and knowing I can't really repair it until it's properly dry, I decided a total cover tarpaulin would have to serve. So far so good and I don't see any water getting onto the engine room roof, which is where the rain runs into the gutter.

Sorry for all these explanations, but I know some of you were interested. It was time to act anyway as the cost in disposable nappies was getting a bit high. I hope this will solve the problem for the time being and that once it's dried out I can get a welder in to repair it properly.

That's it for this week, allemaal. Have a good one and I'll be back with more news and views next time.

14 comments:

  1. Shit, what does the leaking window look like? Do you have a plan for the mold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks horrible, that’s what. The mould has been evicted with the old wood :) Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. So glad you've found a work around for your leaky top (and, therefore, bottom too). Let me know when you want to start panelling again and I'll be on hand to be the human clamp ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Jo. You’re a brilliant clamp and so much fun with it :)

      Delete
  3. I cannot imagine a spuddle, in November, in my underwear.
    Period.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither can I, Dale. I watch in awful fascination :)

      Delete
  4. Marvelous photos as always and fascinating tidbits from your amazing life...although I hurt with you for how cold it is and for the leak. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Steph and apologies for the late reply, dear. Your sympathy makes all the difference xxx

      Delete
  5. It really is very nice to work away at your project in company isn't it, at least if it is not something like writing which means you can't really talk to anyone! the idea of lighting up the barges sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny, yes I really enjoyed it. I'm not all that good at social gatherings, but if there's something to do, I find it much easier. The lighting up time is lovely. I always try not to miss it!

      Delete
  6. The Harbour must look lovely at night now. Seems work on a barge is never finished hope you get this part fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Anne! I missed this! Thank you! And yes, you’re right. Work on a barge is never done x

      Delete
  7. Hi Val - I always love the boats in the fishing harbours, or here your canal area, when they're lit up ... fun. While the chance to see your pals and have that Dutch practice session obviously had meaning. The weather is another story ... let alone other things! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary. It is lovely isn’t? I enjoy the chance to chat with my neighbours, who are all lovely xx

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)