Tuesday, June 25, 2019

A real rural summer

As many of you know, I spend my weekends at the crumbly cottage, an escape which is particularly necessary at this time of year when the overnight noise in the Oude Haven reaches epic proportions. Summer nights bring the crowds to our terraces and with them, they bring what seems like a competitive shouting spirit. In contrast to the low pitched murmerings of the winter gatherings, the volume rises with the temperature and the balmier the evening, the barmier the revellers become.

Anyway, the flight to the country is just what I need, although in a different respect, it’s just as noisy. The main difference is that at the crumbly cottage, the sounds wake me in the morning rather than keeping me awake at night.

The weather over the weekend was hot, so we slept with all our windows open, which meant we got the full repertoire of the dawn chorus in all its glory. On Sunday, I must have been awake around 5 a.m. when the concert started warming up. I listened in awe to the birdsong. I’m not expert when it comes to birds, so whether it was thrushes or blackbirds, I don’t know, but they were singing their hearts out. The rhythm section was filled by crows, pigeons, magpies and sparrows all of which were providing the range and depth of this fabulous winged orchestra as they cried, cooed and cheeped along to the melodies. Just magical.

Then in the evening we listened with renewed pleasure to the humming of the bees in the lime tree we have in the garden. It is in full bloom and the bees love it. When I stand still and look up, I can see them dipping into the flowers like diners at a buffet. One evening also brought a performance by four swallows who gave us an aerobatic display equal to any masterclass demonstration. They swooped, soared and dived in an almost synchronised dance around the tree.  Then still later, we were delighted to see a bat circling the house, its dark form clear against the luminous brightness of the summer night sky. Noisy and crowded it might be with our flying friends, but it feels like a proper summer. This is how it should be.

There is peace too, however. On Saturday afternoon I went for a bike ride and as is my habit, I headed for the canal. The Dutch scenery around me had a beautiful calm peace, so I stopped to take a photo to capture it. Silly, really. As if I could. The breeze was making undulating waves over the surface of the green wheatfields. It whispered through the trees, ruffling the leaves and it snatched my hair from its band, but other than that, there was no sound. You cannot see the silence, but maybe you can feel the peace in this photo.



It’s a hot week in the north here, so for my friends in this part of the world, keep cool allemaal!

12 comments:

  1. Val,
    As ever your adventures and journey are easily conveyed in your writing. I have read a couple of your books and it has given me the strength to move on and set up home on my own boat.
    Thanks for the words past and the words yet to come .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Colin! That’s lovely to hear! I shall now look to see if you have your own blog...I’d love to read about your life on board!

      Delete
  2. Val, I don’t believe you are complaining about the heat? But I know exactly what you mean about the full bird orchestra being wonderful (brings back a Malaysian memory!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, never complaining, Jo. The humidity levels are unpleasant, but it’s bliss to walk with no shoes and light clothes. I love it! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. I love the peace of the countryside and being woken by the birds; it just doesn't happen in the city. You described it perfectly, and it took me back to my childhood in the country,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy. Country sights, smells and sounds are things to savour, aren’t they? Just lovely!

      Delete
  4. So lovely, Val, your words, picture and your Dutch home of peace and wonder. Glad you are having summer...finally. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph. The heat is welcome while we have it!

      Delete
  5. You paint a gloriously bucolic picture of life in the country, Val, what wonderful weekends you're having at the moment. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is lovely to get away from the city, Beth. I am very fond of Rotterdam, but the noise can get too much at this time of year. I am blessed with my country retreat.

      Delete
  6. Hi Val - I think they be blackbirds ... they were countrybirds lured into the outskirts of towns and gardens and sing at 3.30 am! But what a great write up of life in a crumbly cottage - positively delightful and that thought of peace on a country lane - perfect. Finally we have some sun here - it's not meant to be as hot as yours ... we have tennis frenzy in Eastbourne and the bikers are out ... as well as the scooters ... it be noisy! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary! I’m never sure with the real songbirds. Pigeons, cuckoos and crows are easy by comparison! Eastbourne sounds like Rottterdam...noisy! :)

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)