Monday, December 10, 2018

Winter wondering

I don't know how or why it is but I always forget how debilitating I find the cold weather...until it hits me. The summer was so perfect and it went on being warm for so long my body forgot what it was like to be cold and how I react to it. Well, it has remembered. Big time.

This past weekend has been as lousy as it can get weather wise. It poured down so hard, I wondered if even the sea might overflow. The noise of the rain pounding on the roof began to make my ears hurt; it kept me awake at night and became an intrusive presence during the day. I barely went outside the entire weekend.

This morning, though, I woke to the relief of brilliant sunshine. It was time to shake off the cabin fever and get out in the fresh air. Since I needed to have the valve in one of my tyres checked at the garage, we went to Terneuzen where we decided to combine operations with a walk along the dockside. We parked the car and went bundu bashing over the railway and around a ditch full of water until we could find a way to reach the quay. It was quite adventurous but well worth the effort.

The morning was spectacularly beautiful; it really was. But the wind – now that was something else. It was absolutely bitter and I suddenly thought of what it would be like to be faring along the waterways at this time. During the summer I often dream of how great it would be to go cruising in the winter, but that's when my body is warm from the sun and I don't physically remember how wretched it is to be cold. This morning I knew I'd hate it. I'd just huddle in my coat with my nose under my scarf and be miserable. But I wish it wasn't so. To be out there in such light and with such a wider scene bare of foliage to obscure the view, that would be magical.

I would also love to be doing more on the barge; there are so many maintenance jobs I could be working on. In the summer, I imagine myself continuing well into the winter. Well, imagination is a fine thing because the reality is that I don't and can't. The temperature drops and my willingness drops with it. 

Having said that, I'm due to go on the helling next week. The deal is that if this week's incumbent has too much welding to do, I'll have to wait till February. Part of me is hoping....

Yes, well...below are some of photos I took with my archaic phone camera this morning. It just goes to show how great the light was as they aren't too bad. 

Have a great week, allemaal and weather the cold, if not the storm!













16 comments:

  1. The light and skies are indeed bright and beautiful, and it is difficult to imagine that it is also very cold. Weather is so tricky! We have been enduring nasty winds also, but these are hot and horrid, and cause fires. Opposite sides of the world. I love the sight of a snow scene, but my body does not like the cold either, and it took me weeks to recover from our winter trip to Canada last Christmas. Hope the weather improves for you by Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. I’m sorry your winter trip cost you so much in health and energy. I have a feeling this winter’s going to do the same to me, so I’m downing vitamins with great diligence. I have an awful cold now as a conseqence of that cold walk ;)

      Delete
  2. I’m with you in the ‘hating the dark and the cold’ corner. Roll on spring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, nice to see you again. Yes, we are one when it comes to the cold! Aren’t you off somewhere warm this winter?

      Delete
  3. Fabulous pictures! I love the blue sky days in winter, even if it is freezing, it just lifts my spirits. Those grey, dismal days get me down big time. Today we were up early and had the novel experience of scraping the ice off the car! Memories of being at work - how wonderful it is to be retired. Both of us have heavy colds and sore throats so even though it's a 'blue sky' day we're staying put for the rest of the day.
    Love to you both, bet you're getting a lot of use from that 'hottie' xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jude, I have a heavy cold and cough as a result of that lovely walk too...well, getting cold must have triggered what was lurking anyway. I’ve had to scrape ice off my screen two mornings this week...brrrr. My hottie is a welcome friend these days :) xxx

      Delete
  4. Brilliant photos! You must have a great phone camera for "archaic"! As for the cold, Val, I am so sorry. I almost wish I could trade places with you...almost, because I don't handle the cold any better than you do. But, still...I will think warm thoughts and whisper them to you across the ocean. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. My phone has a tiny 3mp camera, but the light was wonderful, so it copes well with that!

      Delete
  5. Oh Val, I remember how you hate feeling cold! From what I understand, your weather can be dastardly-damp, and that has very little place in my situation ;)
    As fortunate I am, being able to enjoy the cold of snow in winter, I can empathise with you on that.
    Your photos, however, bring the beauty of the Dutch winter into focus and one beautiful day can hopefully outstrip any dull one!
    Stay warm! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dale dear. My apologies for the late reply, but that walk laid me low with a heavy cold and that’s another reason I don’t like it! Being on the helling hasn’t been a bundle of laughs either. I’m looking forward to the Christmas break xx

      Delete
  6. Well Val only a couple of more days to go and the light will start to return, yet, unfortunately I find that the gaining light always returns with intense cold too - not sure why that happens. So hopefully you will soon shake of your cold and celebrate the season. All the very best to you and yours !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mel! Yes...the cold is nearly always worse with the lengthening days. We share our dislike of it, but at least we will be moving towards spring!

      Delete
  7. I don't like being out in the cold too much, perhaps that's because I almost froze to death once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must be a painful memory, Lon! I’m glad you survived!

      Delete
  8. I finally got round to replying to comments on my blog and in fact I have just asked you (in response to your comment) if the weather is as bad as it was last December. I suspect not quite as bad, but still bad enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been pretty cold, Jenny. I don't actually remember what it was like at Christmas time last year so would need to look back, but it feels as if it's suddenly got very cold here!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)