Saturday, November 10, 2018

Between the tide and the traffic

Last week, I wrote about the joys (or otherwise) of living in a tidal harbour. I talked about ropes coming loose and the other ups and downs (sorry), didn't I?

Well, when I arrived back after the weekend this last week, I had a new surprise. My gangplank was no longer attached to the bow of the barge and instead was sitting next to it. Fortunately, the chain I have to keep it from falling off completely when such things occur prevented it from disappearing into the depths, but I was glad I noticed it before I bounced merrily off and into the drink myself. I suspect some kind soul had stood on its quay end at low tide and had levered it off the post on which it fits...another job for me to sort out.

Anyway, I did, sort it that is, temporarily anyway. And I also managed to fit the new panel and 'winterise' my teak back entrance and steering wheel by wrapping them well in their own tarpaulins. I shall see on Monday whether my attempts have stood the test of the gale we had last night...there's always something at this time of year and it's not unusual to see harbour residents wandering round looking for bits of their barges in the water after one of our autumn hoolies.

However, on my way down to Zeeland on Friday, I took a route I think I've mentioned before which takes me along the dyke between the sea canal to Antwerp and the tidal Oosterschelde (Eastern Scheldt). I really love this road. On the one side is the wide expanse of the tidal estuary with its mud flats, waves and wildness; on the other is the major shipping lane where the huge barges plough through the waters as they head south into the great locks (kreekraksluizen) leading to the Antwerp docks, or north towards Rotterdam. I see the best of both worlds and the road seems to disappear into a wilderness of tranquillity, which I love. It always lifts my spirits to travel this route, so for once, I stopped to take a couple of photos. They don't really do it justice, but I hope you get some kind of impression of what it is like.

The dyke to nowhere

Traffic on the major shipping route on the canal to Antwerp


Meanwhile, mudflats at low tide on the other side

And there in the distance on the left are the big locks

Hoping you are all enjoying whatever the season brings wherever you are! Have a good week to come allemaal and I'll catch up with you all soon.

11 comments:

  1. You are amazing, Val. You make even regular drives special and appealing! Lovely photos...with bluer skies than we have here. Glad you're all sorted out for winter...except for those unexpected things like a missing gangplank. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph...I assume it's Steph anyway.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I can see what you mean Val. I would love to travel along there, and feel the sea air and look at Nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love it, Patricia. It always feels like an adventure! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Hi Val - yes ... I too would like to drive around your neck of the woods - but I'd rather not deal with your left overs after the winter storms! But well done for being constantly busy and organised ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary! I have a feeling you’d like it too...there’s lots of interesting history around these parts too!

      Delete
  4. Lovely scenery Val and you can see how low the sea level is. The water is so calm, the lovely windmills and the road with no cars in sight. Love reading of your life. Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. I’m glad I’m not the only one it appeals to 😊xx

      Delete
  5. It is puzzling as to why someone would tamper with your gangplank and I can only assume that it was an infantile gesture from some person of low intelligence. Enjoyed very much your photos Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mel. We have a lot of these infantile types, I’m afraid! :)

      Delete
  6. I meant to ask you on your last week’s blog; being in a country that is largely below sea level, do you experience more extreme tidal levels?
    I, too, would love that road, between the sea and the sand! 💕

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)