Monday, November 19, 2018

And so this is winter....

It's really begun now, hasn't it? I was so hoping it wouldn't really get cold, but I suppose that was just too much to wish for. After the storms, the skies cleared for a day or two, but the wind remained and the temperatures dropped to freezing overnight last week.

It was very cold on board. Yes, I admit it. Even with the heater left on over night, it was simply cold in the early hours of the morning.

The good news is that absolutely nothing went wrong last weekend. I'm always a bit nervous when I return after a weekend in Zeeland, but fortunately the gangplank was still in place and my ropes were too. It's almost a bit dull, isn't it? No dramas in Val land.

On a bright note, Koos and I went to the movies last Wednesday for the first time in what must have been years. I think the last time we went was to see the first Harry Potter film, so that's saying something, isn't it? I imagine what we went to see this time would be just as much a matter of taste as HP. That said, I was the one that wanted to go, so Koos indulged me and ended up enjoying it just as much.

It was a one day only showing of a documentary film about the band, Coldplay. We both love 'rock documentaries' and Coldplay are big favourites of mine, so since the film won't be available anywhere else (unless you're an Amazon Prime customer), I wanted to see it. In fact, it was well worth watching on the big screen because the atmosphere of their big stadium concerts was both electric and magical. There was also some unique footage from their very early days filmed by a college friend who ultimately directed the film. Mat Whitecross is perhaps better known for his part in documentaries such as The Road to Guantanamo, so this was quite different for him too. It was a great night out and definitely worth the effort.



The rest of the week was busy for me work wise. I am winding up some academic writing courses, which, while I enjoy, are a heap of work and take up a huge amount of time in preparation and marking. It's always good to see the results in the students' work, however, and some of them make tremendous progress, which is so rewarding.  Apart from this, the usual chores on the Vereeniging needed attending to. 

Another panel is off wating to be replaced

I prised off another panel to be replaced and then I wrapped up my skylight against the ravages of winter. There was cleaning to do and leaf removal too. Just the usual tasks at this time of year. On Saturday, we headed north to Leiden for a family birthday. Our gift was Koos's new book of photos, which is a real stunner. Take a look at it here. It's available for purchase if anyone is interested. The quality is fantastic and I think it would make a magnificent present for art lovers. Here are two screenshots to add interest to my blog:



Wishing you all a wonderful week allemaal. I'll be keeping my head down in the coming days, so I might not be here much, but I'll be reading and watching and will answer comments as soon as possible. The work goes on...

12 comments:

  1. Hi Val - the film sounds interesting ... I saw the Queen film last week - and enjoyed it - but I'm sure I'd enjoy this one. So glad all is well and work is progressing as it should - I know it's getting cold ... still we need the change of seasons. Good luck with all the work ...

    Love Koos' book .. especially the lady with the glasses - not the one I should particularly note (I guess) - but need to look at the others with their titles, so I can see what's what - but what a great present to give to family/friends ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Hilary! I'm glad you like Koos's book. He'll be pleased to hear that. I'd love to know what that Queen film was like! I must investigate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even when you're not "busy," Val and are doing a bit of this and that - you get an amazing amount accomplished! So sorry about the cold, but we know we will be walking through ice and snow to get home when we leave here. Have an awesome rest of the week. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. Enjoy every second of your sunny sojourn back home!

      Delete
  4. Have a happy winter, Val. I had to laugh - Coldplay really ought to be called Hotplay, shouldn't they? :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Roger. Yes. They are certainly hot stuff these days!

      Delete
  5. Our winter, too, is creeping upon us, and we have just managed to push out of the doldrums of an inversion. It sounds like you manage keep busy, drama or no. I would love to have seen the Coldplay movie and love a good 'rockumentary', as well. The last one I watched was on TV and it was about one of my favourite grunge bands, Pearl Jam, and its mesmerising front man, Eddie Vedder. I have perused Koos' book and am considering purchasing it for my brother, who is also a photographer. Have a great week, Val and Koos! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dale, I too would have loved the Pearl Jam rockumentary! I absolutely love Eddie Vedder! And thank you for thinking about Koos' book...he will be glad to know that you are considering it ;) xxx

      Delete
  6. On another note, I have embellished upon my 'Seeing November' poem... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall look soon! I've been immersed in marking for the last week...need a break, so I will enjoy your poem, I know xxx

      Delete
  7. Wow! Koos is really talented! I hope the book sells well. I know how cold boats get in the winter, and hope you have a good supply of woolly sweaters and socks. The main thing must be finding somewhere to dry the washing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny. Yes, Koos is talented, isn't he? Unfortunately, the book price is not cheap but that is down to the printing costs. I doubt it will be a big seller, but it was mainly got him to have a proper hard copy of his work. As for the washing, well, I take it elsewhere, so I don't have to deal with it on board :)

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)