Monday, January 03, 2022

A new year but the usual walk

HAPPY NEW YEAR, allemaal! I hope you had a good Christmas and festive season. 

Here in the flatlands, all was generally quiet. We had a Christmas lunch with my girls on the Vereeniging followed by a walk around Oudenbosch looking for somewhere to let the dogs run. Unfortunately, we didn't succeed in that mission, so the search for good dog walks in the area will be resumed the next time the grandpups visit.

That said, 'daughter one' and I did a New Year's beach walk on the 31st and, as often in the past, we headed for the estuary where the mix of sand, pebbles and tidal scrubland is always appealing. Luckily, the weather dried up for our stroll although it remained mostly wet and windy here (and still is). There were very few others around, so other than the weather, it was perfect. Just a couple of dog owners, who like ourselves were escaping the bangs. We could listen to the wind, the keening of the gulls and the cries of the terns without interference. There was a brief episode with some quad bikers, who shouldn't have been there at all, but they didn't stay long.

However, my ambitions of a place in the sun are currently limited to poring over estate agents' images of homes in Portugal and Spain. I can but dream, can't I? The only bright skies I've seen recently have been those lit by fireworks. They were banned this year, but you'd never have thought so. Belgium and Germany (where most of the fireworks come from) are far too close for the ban to have had any chance of succeeding.

Anyway, to kick off the year, the photos below are of our walk at Paulinahaven on the Western Scheldt coast near Biervliet (see map).









 In other news, I'm up to my ears in 'project shower' at the moment. As many of you know, I have a horror of leaks wherever they may occur. To my dismay, the shower developed a leak that no amount of silicone kit has cured, so there was nothing for it but to rip the whole thing out and investigate the darkness below. I have to say that, barring a few bashed knuckles and choice expletives, the dismantling was much easier than finding the culprit, which has so far evaded me. Koos and I tested the drain, the water pipes and the taps today, but none of them has given up any surprises, or comfort. The only thing left it can be is the outlet from the shower tray itself. I'll let you know! 

A bit fuzzy, but this was the dark and dingy 
place below

I also have a leak to solve on the Vereeniging...again. I check under the floor every week and for months it's been dry. This week, however, I found a puddle, the source of which is also proving hard to detect. Ah well, what would life be without a few leaks? Hmm, I shall ponder that appealing notion for a while.

Have a good week, one and all, and I'll be back with more watery wonderings in the coming weeks.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, Val, I hope you find your leaks soon. That must be extremely worrying on a barge, no matter how small. As for the sun - God bless you and I hope you find your path to it. The only brightness we have seen for weeks were fireworks - and we stayed inside because they upset Savannah. An interesting blog as always. You are amazing. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Steph, I know how much you too seek the sun. Poor Savannah, I do understand how she feels. Sindy hated fireworks as well, and this year we had my daughter's dog hiding under the table. It's so tough for them. Much love for 2022, my dear!

      Delete
  2. That beach walk must have lifted your spirits, discovering new things. I would have spend the whole day there watching the gulls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, you are such a bird lover, Haddock. I really enjoy your posts. I am especially keen on water birds and find the estuary a wonderful place to watch them.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Katheen! I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. So glad you had such a lovely walk. The leaks you're suffering must be so annoying. We've had one for yonks in our kitchen sink and the drip, drip, drip sends me bonkers. My husband is trying yet again to fix the dripping thing, hopefully with luck today. So, Val, I totally empathise. Good luck with your leaks!!! Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shirley. Good luck with your leaks too! They are enough to drive one insane, aren't they?

      Delete
  5. Hi Val - good luck with those leaks and then fixing them ... glad it's you and not me!! Delighted to see your coast - much as ours is ... except ours is not quite so tidal. We've at least had some sun - but now cold, wet and chilly ... all the best for the coming year - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping by, Hilary. Yes, leaks are a pain, aren’t they? I hope your Christmas and New Year were good and you can look forward to some good things in the coming year.

      Delete
  6. What a super blog, Val, I loved the nature walk. But argh, you poor thing! I hate anything to do with leaks and plumbing. I hope you get that shower tray fixed soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth! We are getting there, but it’s still not completely leak free!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)