Sunday, October 03, 2021

A nondescript week

Well, here it is. Sunday evening and I've been trying to fathom where this last week has gone. Nothing of any note has happened and a lot hasn't happened that should have.

The main event I was hoping to report on was the Great Move (i.e. moving Vereeniging from Rotterdam to Oudenbosch), which we'd planned to start on Friday or Saturday. Unfortunately, two quite major obstacles prevented us from leaving: the first was that poor Koos caught a cold, the first one he's had since before Covid started. He got it via via via (as you do), but I suppose because we haven't been exposed to them much in the last 18 months, it's hit him quite hard. Luckily for me, I haven't caught it from him; otherwise we'd both be a sorry pair. Anyway, it’s only a head cold and hopefully, he'll be on the mend soon. The second obstacle was the weather, which has been quite foul these last few days.

I drove up to Rotterdam last Friday to do some more preparations and it took me four hours to get there. The rain poured, the thunder roared and the traffic crawled. I've never had quite such a dreadful drive up.  It continued to tip down most of the night, but fortunately stopped by Saturday morning. I was very thankful as my daughter and her boyfriend came to help me lift my gangplank onto the boat and arrange the mooring ready for departure, the idea being that when the weather's right we can just cast off and go. Being a strategic manoeuvre requiring military precision (haha), It wouldn't have been fun in the rain at all. I also handed my little green rowing boat over to a neighbour. I'm not taking it with me for a number of reasons, but it was definitely a bit sad to say goodbye to my trusty little spuddle and painting friend.

Other jobs were topping up the oil and coolant and charging the battery so that's all ready. I was relieved to see Koos's brilliant repair of the leaky cooling water pump has remained a success so far (the repair involved wrapping the joint with thin jute string and smothering it all in grease: a sort of homemade caulking – I think). Just to be sure, though, I laid a disposable nappy down next to it. I always have a supply of them because I use them to soak up any water that seeps into the bilges, a tip I got from my narrowboating friend and fellow author Roger Distill, whose blog is here. (By the way, his books on narrowboat life are really great. Highly recommended.)

Anyway, by the end of the morning, it was clouding over once more and the first drops fell as I drove out of Rotterdam. By evening, it was chucking it down again. I was so glad we'd decided not to make the move, and even Koos, who claims to be an all-weather stoic, confessed it would have made him miserable as well, especially with his cold. Still, we're ready to go as and when the weather and my nerves permit! It'll be the longest trip we've done on the Vereeniging under our own steam and the longest with the current engine ever. Gulp. But that's still in our future.

As for now, that's about it really. Nothing new in this zoo. I don't even have any photos this week, so I'll have to dive into the archives to pretty up this post. 

These three photos and my new header photo show what we'll be leaving behind. It's been a wonderful twenty years in the Oude Haven, and I'll miss the harbour with its gorgeous barges and lovely folk... But to be without the increasing noise from the bars; to sleep uninterrupted by shouting drunks and night-time incursions on board; to come and go without worrying about tides, dodgy gangplanks and rearranged ropes, all this will make life much easier and infinitely more peaceful. Bliss, in fact. It's the beginning of a new era and I’m looking forward to it.






Have a good week allemaal and hopefully, I'll have more to show you next time!


18 comments:

  1. Hope the cold is gone and Koo is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Val - 20 years already! That seems impossible. Hope Koos is much recovered by now. What a brilliant idea about the baby nappies. It was sad to hear about turning over your faithful friend - the green boat - but I'm sure it's going to a good home! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Steph. In fact, next month it will be precisely 20 years since I bought the Vereeniging. I've had the little green boat nearly as long, so I wasn't without a tear in my eye to see it go, but I know it will be appreciated. My friends have an 11-year-old son who I know will enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Dear Val, I do so hope that Koos is feeling a bit better and that his cold is now retreating.
    Hopefully your weather will pick up so you can make the long awaited move, my friend. There is nothing worse than hanging around waiting and your new berth sounds so wonderfully peaceful.
    Take care, my friends, have a good week, xx 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much, Linda. Yes, the waiting only serves to increase the nervous anticipation, but we'll get there! xxx

      Delete
  4. Another fab entertaining blog, where nothing happens - lol - right! Lots to read and enjoy and fab photos. Hope Koos is better, 20 years! Yep, weeks flying past. I hope you have a great October and lots happens. Take care both xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Jane! It seemed once I started I couldn't stop! Thank you so much for popping by. You take care as well :) xx

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you've been held up, Val, but that was certainly not the right time to move! I hope Koos is better soon, and that your journey to your new mooring goes smoothly. I look forward to reading about it. Thanks for the plug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too, Roger. Yes, it definitely wasn't the right moment. We're holding thumbs for this weekend as the weather forecast is quite promising!

      Delete
  6. Moving after 20 years is hard, and you will feel pangs of loss. But once done, you will love the peaceful existence which beckons. You have done wonders with preparation. I hope Koos recovers well, and you stay well yourself while you get settled. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Patricia. Fingers crossed we can move this weekend as the weather looks promising. Koos still has a chesty cold and cough, but he's otherwise fine. I just hope it stays that way!

      Delete
  7. 'No news' is always newsy to me, Val. I'm so sorry for Koos, what rotten luck. I think you were very wise not to attempt the voyage, especially with the horrid weather. Rest up while you can, and thanks for sharing your week and these lovely photos with us. Both, as usual, have been lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Beth, I am sorry to have been so long in replying. As you can imagine, it's all been quite demanding, both energy and time wise. Still, we've done it now, as you know. Thank you so very much for your kind words and support. xxx

      Delete
  8. HiVal I've been catching up with your blogposts. I was surprised to read you are moving but a change can be a good thing too. I remember you saying it was usually noisy at night where you are so it will be good for you to get some peace. I hope Koos is on the mend and you have a safe journey to your new abode. Looking forward to the photo in your new berth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne. I'm so sorry for the delay in replying. I'm still trying to catch up after our three-day journey which ended up being four days without much internet. It all went well, and we are very happy with our new mooring! Sooo peaceful!

      Delete
  9. All good wishes for your move, take care.

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)