Wednesday, February 24, 2021

The wonderful support of We Love Memoirs


This week's post is a bit of a departure for me. I don't normally write about my books or even the books I've read. My review blog is for those and I prefer to keep this one about life here in the Netherlands, my boating world and our various travels.

This week, though, I want to pay tribute to a group on Facebook without which I wouldn't have half the readers I do have either for my blog or for my books. That group is We Love Memoirs founded by Victoria Twead and Alan Parks, two memoir writers who brilliantly saw the opportunity to start a community on social media for both readers and authors to get together. From this group alone, I have gained many, many lovely friends across the world just by being a member of a community where reading is the glue that binds us. I've also 'met' dozens of brilliant authors, some of whom have also become dear friends in real life.

I can't remember exactly how long I've been a member of We Love Memoirs – it's been several years now – but I have to say it's my favourite corner of Facebook. In fact, it provides everything I personally want from social media: likeminded people in terms of both readers and authors, and a wonderful platform on which to share stories, photos, reviews and events. I get most of my reading recommendations from WLM, not to mention numerous free books from promotions, competitions and giveaways.

The other thing I love about the group is that it's strictly non-political and non-denominational, so the discussions are all completely without any rancour; exactly, to my mind, what the 'social' part of social media means.

We Love Memoirs is, for me, the perfect example of what a well run group should be. It has getting on for 6000 members, and because of that, there are numerous moderators, all of whom seem to have special focuses. They are amazing, they really are. They don't only make sure the posts members put up conform to the group's rules; they organise daily features, competitions and promotions, all of which must take a huge amount of time and dedication, and guiding them all is the endlessly inspiring Victoria Twead. 

For those of you who've never read much in the way of memoir, I was amazed to discover the wide range of genres that fall within this umbrella: everything from lighthearted travelogues to inspirational accounts of people overcoming the most appalling difficulties. There really is an enormous selection of possible books to choose from. My Kindle is positively bulging with all the books I've bought, won and found through the various recommendations, games and links on the group's page. 

In this lockdown time, especially, I think WLM has been a huge boon to me and so many of the members there, and so I just wanted to say thank you to We Love Memoirs, to Victoria and Alan for founding it, and to all the marvellous moderators, members and authors for making it the truly great group that it is.

And as if you haven't already noticed, the link to the group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/welovememoirs 😁

Many of my friends say it's their happy place on the Internet, and I agree with them. Come along and make it yours too!

Enjoy the rest of your week allemaal.

20 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to a truly amazing group, well done Val. It is my happy place as you know. I for one cannit thank Victoria and Alan enough for starting it and Victoria for introducing me to the group. I have made some lifelong friends here, including you my dear. I have ready some wonderful books and virtual been on some amazing travels. During this lockdown they have been my saviour and salvation, for this I will be eternally grateful. A huge thank you t all the admins and moderators too, they all play a huge part in the smoth running of the happiest, friendliest, welcoming group around.
    Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Linda. I find the extent of the support quite amazing, I really do!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful tribute and I completely agree with you, WLM is a wonderful FB group full of friendly people and fabulous books. I have only been a member for less than a year, and I have been amazed at the level of support I have been given as a newbie author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible, isn't it, Alyson? They work so hard for us all. Thank you so much for your comment, my dear.

      Delete
  3. Completely agree Val, I've loved getting to know people through WLM, and the readers and writers there are an incredibly supportive bunch. Lovely to see them get a shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Credit where it's due, isn't it? I'm constantly amazed at how much all the moderators do to make it such a lively, engaging and interesting group.

      Delete
  4. I totally agree, Val. You wrote exactly my sentiments here. I find myself checking in at We Love Memoirs at least a couple of times a day to discover what my virtual friends are up to, and to simply join in on the chatter. It's such good fun, enlightening, and, as you say, a great place to find new books to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shirley! That goes for me too. I definitely go there first when I log on to Facebook. I don't even look at my own timeline as often :)

      Delete
  5. Oh Val what a fabulous tribute to my favourite FB group; I agree with all of your comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful group, Sandy. It's where so many of us 'met' each other, isn't it? All because we love reading!

      Delete
  6. I really do love memoirs, Val, so I have already put in a request to join on Facebook. Thank you for the tip. I have been reading a lot more during pandemic and look forward to following this group. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I'll look forward to seeing you there, Patricia! We've been blogging friends for years, but it will be lovely to see you there too! xx

      Delete
  7. Thanks, Val. A lovely group indeed. And much needed during this crazy time around our globe. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. I agree. We all need that feeling of community right now!

      Delete
  8. This is such a lovely post Val. It’s definitely the best group on Facebook. I love it and all the wonderful friends I have made through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rebecca. I belong to some other lovely groups too, as I know we all do, but WLM has everything and more and it's the first place I go on FB when I log in.

      Delete
  9. YAY! If it weren't for the kindness of WLM members, not sure where I'd be. It's fab! Thanks for this post, Val. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, it really is. Considering there are so many members, there is an amazing community spirit, and I think that's all down to the marvellous moderators. The whole concept is just so good.

      Delete
  10. What a super blog, Val, I couldn't agree more with all your comments. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooerr! Beth, I'm so sorry! I missed this! Thank you very much for commenting, as always. You are a star!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)