Monday, February 15, 2021

Dutch winter play

 I'm not going to write much today (I hear you all sigh with relief) because this week, I think the photos and film clips will simply speak for themselves.

As portented (is that a verb?) last weekend when it snowed so heavily, we were subsequently hit with a week long period of intense cold. The upside (if such there can be) was that the sun came out as the temperatures dropped and even I can admit the scenery looked very beautiful. But what was even lovelier was that as the big freeze went on, ponds, canals and even large lakes froze up all over the country. 

As the night time temperatures plummeted to -10C and below nationwide, the Dutch dug out their skates and gleefully dusted them off. It's been several years since there's been a freeze prolonged enough for skating on natural ice. Locally, we saw it back in 2017, but I think the last big one was in 2012. Of course, everyone gets excited about the possibility of an Elfstedentocht, that famous Dutch marathon on ice that passes through 11 towns in Friesland, but sadly, it wasn't freezing for quite long enough this year. That apart, last Friday, Saturday and Sunday, saw the Dutch glorying in their favourite winter sport, and it really was a joy to see despite the breathtaking cold. Below are my own photos taken of the nature reserve ponds not far from the crumbly cottage.








It was such a delight to see whole families out on their skates with tiny tots as well as grannies and grandpas too. As for the teenagers and young adults, I could see how at home they were on the ice, spinning along as if they were born to it – which I suppose they were, really. I've only ever tried skating once, I must admit. However, since I spent more time on my backside than on my feet, I decided I was better suited to a sledge, preferably on flat ground and pulled by several strong huskies!

Anyway, I sadly no longer know how to embed a video here from anywhere other than YouTube, but the one in this link is well worth a look. It's from the Dutch news site NOS and I think it's quite magical. It shows how throughout the Netherlands, happy Dutch people took to the ice in vast numbers to enjoy a mini holiday from Covid and all the other cares that have come with it. I hope you enjoy it too. And if you want another look (I find it so compelling) here's another video I found on YouTube.


By Sunday afternoon, it was all over, though. The thaw had set in and Ice Skating clubs were warning people to get off the canals and go home. As for accidents? Sure, some people took a dunking when they literally skated on thin ice; others fell and had various bumps and bruises, but no one was seriously hurt as far as I know. The vast majority of people enjoyed the break from everything and just had good, old-fashioned, joyous fun. Today, we're back to the usual: grey, wet and gloomy, with +5C, but what a lovely weekend it was. 

Oops, sorry! I seem to have written a lot anyway. I can't be helped...

Enjoy the rest of your week allemaal and I'll be back with more sundry news and views soon!


19 comments:

  1. Glorious photos Val. Thank you. It was bitterly cold here too, the snow lasted in our garden for days, but is all gone now as it was much warmer today. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jude. Yes, it's all gone from here too, more or less. It's been the longest really cold spell we've had in a while, but they never last all that long here in NL.

      Delete
  2. It looks like you all had a marvellous time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was glorious to watch, Lydia. I'm afraid I don't skate myself, except on my rear end :)

      Delete
  3. I always think of Rotterdam beneath snow these days. When we were there a few years ago it was quite early in the year and nobody was expecting snow (least of all us) but it happened all the same! It was mighty cold but we didn't see anyone skating, so it can't have been quite cold enough for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah no, Jenny, it's normally after the snow when the temperatures plummet that people get their skates out!

      Delete
  4. Gosh, talk about a big freeze, Val, that was bitter! Thank you for sharing these sunny photos, how lovely to see folks out enjoying a favourite pastime! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching it, Beth. Such a beautiful sight to see everyone out skating.

      Delete
  5. Breathtaking to watch. Just thankful I can watch from inside a warm house. I enjoyed it much more than if I had to be outside watching - so thanks for sharing the great photos and video. You were a hero to be out getting the images! (steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Steph. If I don't go out for a walk, I get cabin fever. However cold it is, I wrap up like a Michelin man and endure it! At least the skating was fun to watch!

      Delete
  6. How wonderful to see Val. It looks like a lot of fun for everyone, and more so as it is comparatively rare. We went to Ypres in 2009 in January and it was the first time I saw people skate on the ice, a city canal. Since then, we also have seen it on the Rideau canal in Ottawa, a pretty sight. It seems to be a big freeze all over the northern hemisphere - wonder if we will get a cold Winter here this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Patricia, the northern hemisphere is getting it, but it’s warmed up here now and isn’t so cold. There’s no sign left of the snow now, although there’s still ice on the ponds and canals.

      Delete
  7. Oh what a breathtaking and joyous sight to behold Val, thank you for sharing your photos and the video. How beautiful it all looked and oh what joy to be had on the ice. I have never been ice skating. The one time I was supposed to he going, 2 days before our trip I was rushed into hospital with appendicitis so never made it. As my friends didn't exactly wnjoy the experience it was mever repeated so my change was taken from me.
    Thank you for another lovely blog post. Stay warm and cosy my dear friend and say hi to Koos. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. I’m very pleased you enjoyed seeing the pictures and videos. It is a lovely sight, isn’t it?

      Delete
    2. It certainly is a wonderful sight. xx

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos! And ones you will remember; winter 2021 brrr....
    I remember the tale of Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates and will always associate skating with The Netherlands.
    That being said, skating is quite popular on our lake all winter long. We even made The Guinness Book of World Records:
    https://www.e-know.ca/news/whiteway-captures-guinness-world-record-title/
    It's been a long time since I've skated on the lake, as you know, sliding downhill on the snow is my more favourite pastime... However, I remember rescuing my friend when she fell straight through the ice; a rather unreal and tense few moment, I must say.
    Knowing how much you dislike the cold and snow, it appears you are making the most of your lovely Dutch winter!
    Sending lots of love and warm hugs to you and Koos! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Dale, I too have fallen through the ice. I felt surprisingly hot afterwards until the burning sensation wore off and then I was colder than I've ever been in my life. I was rescuing a Collie, though. I do my best to get out every day, despite the cold. I'm not sure that making the most of it really applies, though :)))

      Delete
  9. Also, the video! I love the sounds of the ice echoing whale song. Our lake does that, too, when the ice is smooth and free of snow. I remember getting freaked out in the dark on the deck of my old place looking out over the lake. The sounds were so eerie, I had to duck back inside when my imagination ran away with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very strange sound, isn't it? I love watching these films. Just too beautiful, but...I am so pleased it's warming up now!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)