Sunday, December 29, 2019

The last post of 2019

This month has flown by and here we are peering expectantly into 2020.

At the end of November I mentioned I needed some time out to focus on other things. Well, one of those was a trip to the UK to visit my family, most of whom I haven't seen for far too long. It was a big birthday for one of my brothers, but prior to that I'd learned that one member of the family has some serious health problems, which made it especially important for me to see them.

We met up at one of England's lovely National Trust properties, Stowe House, which also happens to be Stowe School in Buckinghamshire. It's open to the public at weekends and has beautiful gardens which the birthday boy particularly wanted to see. I was staying with my sister and since she isn't a member of the NT, we decided to forego the garden tour. It was quite pricey and not something we really relished doing on such a cold day. However, we had a great lunch together in the café and it was wonderful to catch up with them all again. There were several nieces, plus a couple of grandchildren as well as a good show of in-laws. I only wish we could have spent longer together, and it made me aware that I need to go back more often. None of us is getting any younger; in fact, I am the youngest of the four of us.

The rest of my visit was taken up with spending special time with my sister, which I loved, and also visiting her daughters in Bristol and my long-time friend from South Africa, Moira, who works in Wells. Altogether perfect.

My sister and I talked each other's legs off – all of them, not just the hind ones, which meant that no donkeys were involved. I suspect she was quite relieved when I left. Peace at last...haha. Seriously, though, it was amazing to have so much time with her and I think we both caught up on lots of events in each other's lives that we didn't know about. Much of this was achieved while walking, so here are some photos of the beautiful parks we visited in the area.


Harrold Park, north west of Bedford

Harrold Park 
A lovely place to stop a while



There were several of these beautiful benches in Harrold Park

I've no idea what caused these holes, maybe a woodpecker?
This was the bark of a tree in Ampthill Park

The same tree in Ampthill Park. It has a strangely twisted
trunk

Magnificent panoramic views in Ampthill Park


Ampthill House, privately owned, I think

Back in the Netherlands, I had work to finish off, a family dinner with my daughters, stepsons and their partners and then of course, Christmas, which was quietly spent in Zeeland with more walking and heaps of reading. Just how I like it. As you know, waterways are a huge attraction, so here are some photos of a recent walk in Belgium along the Durme river.

The house of many colours. I was fascinated by it

The Durme on its way to the Schelde (Scheldt)

What we like: boats moored in Lokeren

And a very pretty traditional tjalk

On the liveaboard side of the moorings

That's just about summed up my absence and in that sense, the year too. Wishing all my blogging friends a very enjoyable New Year and a peaceful, harmonious and lovely 2020. Till next year allemaal.




19 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a lovely trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. England is a never-ending source of good things to see and do! Love that carved bench seat. Family visits are so special, and we have been doing a lot of it over the Christmas period. Happy New Year Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia! I hope you've had a lovely Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you too. Stay safe over there!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful photos, Val, and I am glad you had a chance to visit family in the UK. Family is so very important and the older I get, the more it faces me.
    Happy New Year and may 2020 bring all the best for you and yours! Much love from the mountains, Dale xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much love to you too, Dale, and yes...family is important xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi Val - I can guess that more trips across the 'Sleeve' will be coming, while it's easy ... but essential to see family. Sounds like you had a lovely time ... great being together. Stowe is beautiful to drive through ... did that in the 1960s I guess ... also love your views of your 'new' homeland ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary. Stowe seems to be an interesting place and I wouldn’t mind going back on a warmer day. It was really lovely, and especially lovely to see my family xx

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you managed to spend time with your family. The photos show that, in spite of it being a highly emotional time, you also had lots of fun. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us, and I love those waterways shots, what a beautiful area the Durme river is. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth! Yes it was really lovely. I’m glad you liked the Durme photos!

      Delete
  6. Happy, Joyful New Year, Val. Thanks for the blog - beautiful and touching as always and fantastic photos. What a marvelous side-by-side of two different lifestyles, one on your Watery Ways, and one back home with your family in the UK. I know they were thrilled to see you - even though no donkeys were included!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you Steph! It was lovely to be with my family although I have no wish to live in England anymore. It's far too busy! And yes, I was happy to spare the donkeys :)

      Delete
  7. How lovely to be with all your family again especially at this time of year. Lovely photos Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne! Yes, it was very special to be together again. Hapoy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  8. Happy. Ew Year Val - coincidence - my sister lives in Harrold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really, Stephanie? Then she must know and appreciated that lovely park!

      Delete
    2. Oh and Happy New Year to you and the Philosopher :)

      Delete
  9. A happy, healthy and peaceful New Year to you and Koos, Val.

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)