Sunday, January 05, 2020

Old and New: the step over to 2020

I wanted this first post of the new year to be largely a picture post, but I'll need to explain the first group of photos, so I hope you'll bear with me.

Firstly, happy 2020 everyone. I know it's off to a difficult start in some parts of the world, notably the tragic fires in Australia (so devastatingly awful) and the precarious situation with the US vs Iran (I'm trying not to think where that's going), but I hope that wherever you are, things are calm, safe and optimistic.

Anyway, to get back to the photos, on the 29th December, we decided to go for a walk at a place called Klein Rusland  over the border in Belgium. We've often walked around the neighbourhood before as it's always fascinated us. Initiated by the Russian founder of a nearby factory (Dmitri Peniakoff) it was built as a community for workers and its first inhabitant was also a Russian (hence the name Klein Rusland). The whole estate was designed along cubist lines by Huib Hoste and it was very much a garden suburb. 

To my mind, it should be a monument, but sadly, many of the houses are now boarded up and all the shops and businesses have gone. Why? Because (according to a local resident) an industrial magnate wants the land to extend his already huge solar panel 'farm,' which is on a site next to Klein Rusland. He must be a very patient man as many of the residents are clearly not willing to go: 'we willen blijven' (we want to stay) is a sign seen on many doorways. 


We willen blijven - we want to stay
I have to admit I have issues with situations in which people and communities are driven out of their neighbourhoods in the name of progress. I feel the same way about big dams and reservoirs where complete villages are drowned. Some may see it as a sacrifice to the greater good; however, I can't help thinking of the human sacrifice too, not in lives, but in communities that have been there for so long. Klein Rusland will be 100 years old this year. Here's an article about what has been happening there. If you open it in Google, you can have it translated.

A garden suburb with a beautiful tree-planted green in its centre

Cubist homes: very modern in their day.
Many of the boarded up houses have really attractive paintings on them, which brightens up the desolation no end – a great way to prevent random graffiti too. Here are a few of my snaps. It was a beautiful day, which somehow made the silent emptiness more poignant.







 


After chatting to the local man who told us about the solar panels and also the centenary, we headed to another neighbourhood close by for a cup of coffee. I was struck by these opening times on the bakery door. It seems they really do open at 04:00 in the morning. Amazing!


Then on New Year's Day, we did our traditional beach walk. It was bitterly cold, but we refused to be daunted. These photos show that others weren't either!



Although this beach was a bit empty. I can imagine it's very busy in
the summer
Then yesterday was another beautiful day so as we had a doggy guest (my daughter's spaniel, Charlie), we took a long walk around a nearby nature reserve. It always amazes me that in this densely populated little country we can walk for kilometres without seeing another soul. I love the calm tranquillity of these Dutch reed lined waters with their knotted willow trees.



So that's it for my ramblings this week. Here's a photo of Charlie to finish up with. He can snooze very thoroughly after a long walk.



By the way, if you are here, you will either have clicked on a link or you'll have seen that I've changed my blog address. I was getting so many spam comments and rubbish to filter out, I decided the new year was time for a clean slate. If you'd still like to follow me, you might want to change any saved links you have to my blog. The new blog address is rivergirlrotterdam.blogspot.com

Have a good week allemaal, and may all the fires in the world, both literal and figurative, be extinguished soon.

24 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Val! Interestingly enough, the cubist housing brings back clear memories of the apartment complexes in the poorer end of the Montreal suburb where I lived as a child. We lived in the more middle to upper class end of town, but many of my school mates lived in homes like these.
    The new year beach indeed does look cold and I admire your tenacity in staying with tradition. Do you have to drive to Belgium or is it just a walk from your 'crumbly cottage'?
    I, too, wish for a less than incendiary 2020! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale, it's interesting that the cubist houses have echoes in Montreal. I wonder if they were built at a similar time? As for Belgium, we could easily walk over the border, but Klein Rusland is a bit too far for a quick stroll. I suppose it's about 8kms away.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year! Lovely photos and a great start to the year for you. Hoping all the fires raging in the world, including the political ones, get doused quickly before more people and animals get hurt. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, Anne-Marie. A good dousing is what they all need, I agree. Thank you for the good wishes, very much!

      Delete
  3. Happy new year, very sad for that community that's just being torn apart. What a lovely place for a dog walk even if it was cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anne. I find it terribly sad, but there's an inevitability about it that seems to be irreversible. The dog walk was wonderful!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, Val. I have so many thoughts. First, I like the people's show of determination and resilience through the beautiful art displayed on the boarded-up homes. Secondly, your use of great photography adds to your time at that locale. And last, the dog Charlie is handsome. May we all find the peace that he seems to be enjoying in the picture. Sincerely, Lynn 🌞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, it worked! It just hadn't come through before. Thank you so much for your kind words, dear!

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year, Val. Thank you for sharing this piece about your visit. I love the people's determination to remain positive through their display of beautiful pictures. Your photos add to the depth of the situation. And may we all find the peace that Charlie is enjoying! Lynn🌞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. Peace is what we all need right now.!

      Delete
  6. Fascinating. Locked into this from the start. You have, as always, Valerie, made me think deeply about a whole range of things here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christina. I'm very pleased it gave you some food for thought. Wishing you and yours a great 2020 xx

      Delete
  7. Thanks for keeping "anonymous" for commenting on your blog, Val, since I don't have a Google account. Another brilliant blog - a wonderful way to start out 2020, and great photos. Thanks for sharing. And I think I forgot to put my name on the last comment. Have a great new week. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Steph. Yes, I'm keeping that for sure. Thank you for always following, commenting and supporting this blog! All the very best to you, Alan and Savannah xx

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year Val. The cubist houses are very stylish, and I love the painted panels. What a sad story that the people are being forced out. The deserted beach looks like a great place to walk, which I too would love. Your blog still came up in my newsfeed, thankfully. I too have had a lot of spam, particularly in the past fortnight and I have no idea what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia! I’m so glad you are still receiving my blog. The spam was getting to the point I was having a job to filter the real comments from the spam. I’m hoping the new address will help. I’ve also disabled the google listing in my settings, so I hope that will help reduce the spam too. Good luck with yours!

      Delete
  9. Happy new year, Val, what a lovely (if nippy) start to 2020 for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth! Happy new year to you and Jack too!

      Delete
  10. Hi Val, good to see the new blog, have added it to my blog list. I think some of us are heading back to blogging as FB has become non-personal. I enjoyed this and just curious did they paint the pictures as part of living there or to beautify before destruction...as you mention on boarded up houses. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, String. How lovely to see you here too. Yes, I’m very happy to see a few others talking about going back to blogging again as I’ve always preferred it to FB and other social media. In answer to your question, the paintings are done on the boarded up windows, so I’m guessing it was probably to beautify the place and to avoid that desolate boarded up look. I don’t know who has done them, but there’s a similar situation in a town called Doel also just over the Belgian border near Antwerp, and artists from all over have painted the empty houses there, so this may be a similar initiative. It’s part protest and part conceptual creativity.

      Delete
    2. You might find this interesting, String: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/doel

      Delete
    3. What a great link! Someone should do a film there before it is gone, what a great backdrop it would make. I like this type of 'protest' - it is too bad it didn't work

      Delete
  11. Hi Val - I found you ... re unwanted commenting ... I had a bunch too - and in the end - put them all into the 'Report Spam' Folder in gmail ... and that was that - I'm relieved to say ... I can handle a few ... but actually a lot of others had been caught to - so they got deleted from my setting spam.

    Interesting to learn about Huib Hoste ... and his era, as well as his part of Belgium ... the boards look delightful - even the baobab!

    Wonderful you were able to get out into the brisk North Sea air ... and Charlie had a good run - as you say completely zonked out ... lots of tea and cake for the rest of the gang I'd imagine.

    Good luck and see you around - cheers and have a happy 2020 - I've just spotted your link above ... so am off there! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilary! I was intrigued by the baobab too, wondering who and why :) I’m so glad you found me again here :)

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)