Monday, January 28, 2019

Hiya Ayamonte

I'm a bit tardy with this post. I'm sorry about that. I'd intended to try and write one every couple of days but I've been nose to the screen editing my latest book. Anyway, now the weather's about as appealing as a wet woollen coat on a snowy day (actually it's sleeting, so just as bad), I'm happy to look at these photos and enjoy the sunny skies again. 

How lovely it was to be in Portugal. It's hard to believe we came back more than ten days ago. The photos below are actually of Ayamonte, which is in Spain. The border between the two countries is the lovely Guadiana River. 

Now why are you surprised we went there? And also that we took the ferry across the river instead of taking a bus? 

You're not, I know.

As you might imagine the boat trip was the highlight for me, just as the ferry to Farol was last time; I just love boats. The Guadiana is a tidal river that flows straight out to sea a kilometre or so downstream from the ferry, but considering it flows into the Atlantic, it is remarkably calm with a very slow running tidal current.




The approach to Ayamonte across the water is lovely. The boat follows a diagonal route and it takes about fifteen minutes, so not very long, but enough to give us that 'aaaaah' feeling of being on the water again.


 The views were marvellous. Above is Castro Marim, a castle we didn't manage to get to, but I've promised myself we will next time.


Ayamonte was very pretty straddling the hillside with its brilliant white homes and colourful waterfront.


I was fascinated by these fishing boats too. Apparently they are trawlers and those ramp things are where they haul the nets in.


And here we were saying Hiya Ayamonte. What an attractive town it is: full of colour and cheerful liveliness. It was odd that we suddenly went forward an hour and the difference between a not quite awake late morning in Vila Real on the Portuguese side and a lively Ayamonte in full lunchtime mode was quite striking.



The tidal harbour waters run deep into the town. I think this landing stage was for fishermen, though. It's too shallow for navigation and anyway, the bridge was fixed. The rest of the photos are just impressions from the backstreets that we found. I enjoyed it very much, steep hills and all.





Well, that's it for this time Allemaal. The weather here is quite horrible, so I'll keep posting about sunny Portugal until things improve a bit. I hear it's going to snow again tomorrow and Wednesday. Ho hum.

19 comments:

  1. How beautiful is Ayamonte, and sunny Portugal in general. I would want to go every year, I think. Hope the awful weather lets up soon, and gets the message that Spring is around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. I hope the spring starts to show itself soon too, but I’m afraid winter tends to linger longer this side of the new year. Keep cool!

      Delete
  2. Hi Val - it's looking a little threatening here now ... but later on today or tomorrow is when the white stuff might fall - being somewhat further west in Eastbourne we 'wait' for it to arrive.

    Ayamonte looks a delightful town and I see it's car free ... while the Guadiana river has an amazing watershed ... thanks I've learnt! Cheers and stay warm and dry- Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m happy to be able to share this with you, Hilary. I always learn so much from you! :)

      Delete
  3. Another wonderful blog, Val. Thanks for taking me to the sunny, warm side of life today. I needed that. Not sure about snow here, but we have 50 shades of grey in the sky and all of them glum. As always, your words and your photos are brilliant. What a fascinating place to visit! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Steph, caring is sharing and vice versa. You share so much wonderful stuff for me to enjoy. I’m glad to be able to brighten your day!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely-looking town! It also appears you had lovely weather to match! It’s interesting that, when on our travels, we tend to seek out the familiar. Thanks for sharing your travels with us! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, don’t we, Dale? But it’s also about seeing how the rivers and waterways are handled in different countries. I love the fact they use ferries so much in Portugal!

      Delete
    2. I am sure you would love the watery ways of west coast BC! Ferries are commonplace and are used between the myriad islands and shorelines to bring people, motor traffic, and goods to near and far-flung places along the coast. Some communities are accessible only by water; and the scenery is beyond spectacular!
      (the weather is on the temperate side, to suit your taste...)
      ;) xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely! I'm quite envious. Thanks for sharing, Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a much enjoyed and appreciated interlude, Roger. As you may know by now, winter and Val do not go together well :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos of your winter interlude, Val. The sky and the water are so blue and you captured the reflections perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Julie. I'm so glad you enjoyed the photos. I still have a couple more to post, so I hope you like the rest of my impressions too :)

      Delete
  7. I do love your blogs, Val, and this one is no exception. Reading about your lovely break and seeing those gorgeous sunny views warms the cockles of my heart. Thank you! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Beth! I'm so very pleased you like them! I've had a bit of a busy week, so only just found this comment, but I am always especially pleased to see you here XX

      Delete
  8. Hello Val - our stepson has just got a job in Santiago de Compostella - further north in Spain than you were, but not that far - we are heading off there in May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry missed responding to this, Stephanie. How lovely for you! A great place to be visiting in the springl!

      Delete
  9. Oh looks fab! I am writing this comment in portugal and have been blown away by how nice it is... i had almost forgotten because it so long since i last visited! So your pics specially appealed right now !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jenny. I knew you'd commented somewhere but I couldn't find it. It looks as if you had a lovely time in Portugal as well :)

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)