Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Interim musings

What a strange week this has been with all the furore over the World Cup. Then there's Wimbledon and the Formula 1 as well. I don't know about you but I am not much of a sports fan although I've always enjoyed motor racing and I just love cricket (of course). Despite this, I haven't been able to avoid being caught up in the tension over the football and also the F1 championships which I used to follow quite closely, but less so these days.

The thing I don't get is how so many people are critics first. People can be so mean about their own sides and the sportsmen and women they follow. If they could do better, why aren't they out there doing it themselves? How about being an encourager and not a destroyer?

I was so pleased for Belgium that they got to the WC semi-finals. What a great achievement for a small country. They played so bravely, and it's such a shame they lost to big brother next door, France, but they did an amazing job. And as for England, I am listening to the match now and it doesn't sound hopeful for the land of my birth, but heck, they made it this far which is further than they've done in close on thirty years. Well done guys!! I, like thousands of others, am thrilled for what you have done even if you don't make it any further.

All the same, the whole competition has seen some major upsets, which has made it quite interesting for a non football fan like me.

Then when it comes to motor racing, it seems that the top drivers can never do anything right. Lewis Hamilton is either 'too nice to be real' or a 'bad loser'; the press have a go at him whatever he does. The same goes for Max Verstappen, the young Dutch driver. He's a real go-getter for sure, but isn't that what you're supposed to be at that level? The media never seem to give him a break and I find that a real shame.

Lastly, there's Wimbledon, which has been a bit submerged by all this World Cup fever, but even there I hear some upsets have occurred and Roger Federer lost to a South African player I've never heard of before. Who would have expected that? Still, Mr Federer's had an amazingly good innings (sorry for mixing my sporting metaphors) and it's great to see someone else coming up.

Well it will all be over soon and we can get back to normal life again; in other words, I can go back to my boats and my cricket again, but I'm going to hold on to that 'encouragement' idea. I think there's far too little of it about these days. Whatever makes people smile and gives them a lift is surely more rewarding for all concerned, isn't it?

On a more local note, we've had quite a busy week socially too. Last weekend was my elder daughter's birthday celebration. We had a great family gathering at her house and a delicious vegan meal. Of course, the 'boys' had to watch the football.

Here they are watching whatever match it was on a smart
phone...modern life!
Meanwhile, we girls made our own fun. My younger daughter took photos of the birthday girl and me making silly faces....well, what else can you do when everyone else is glued to a tiny screen?









I might be a bit more rare in my blogging appearances than usual in the coming weeks; it's fair weather, so it's faring weather, but whatever you all are doing, have a great summer/winter allemaal. I will be here, but just a little more sporadically.

9 comments:

  1. For someone who is not so much of a sports fan you know quite a lot of it ;-)
    Too bad Belgium didn't make it to the finals, but they did a great job.
    Enjoy the Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely brilliant, Val, as always. Encouragement trumps over criticism...always. Thanks for the wise advise and happy, joyful faring! (I also am not a sports fan. I've been writing another book and learned more about sports from reading your blog than I've ever known! Good for the progress everyone made...regardless the final placing. Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you, Steph! I must get writing again. Lack of time has given way to lack of electricity to plug my laptop into...haha!

      Delete
  3. I’m not a great sports fan ... but then there’s cricket. It takes over my summer and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Jo, but coverage is nil over here and I have no internet on board at the moment, so will have to catch up as and when!

      Delete
  4. Hi Val - so glad you highlighted that we could do with more positivity and not look at things from a negative point of view - I quite agree. Wimbledon is having a hum-dinger of a day ... but you'll find out ... and yes everyone who even succeeds in representing their country, or themselves at the highest level of the sport - deserves recognition ... enjoy your time away - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary. i’m afraid I won’t be able to keep up with blogs much at the moment, but I’ll catch yours as soon as I can.

      Delete
  5. I know nothing about sport Val, not even tennis. It looks like you and your daughters were having more fun than watching football.
    Anne Mackle

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)