Monday, December 11, 2017

Let it Snow, let it Snow, then let it Go!!

I have a feeling that most of my blogger pals know how I feel about snow by now. I don’t like it. You’re all aware of that, I think.

This is not a newly made decision. It has nothing to do with all those years I spent in South Africa. Well, maybe it does, because the reason I was happy to go there in the first place was so I could escape the snow in the winter of 1981. Does anyone remember how bad it was? And the winter of 78/79? Awful they were, with deep snow and villages cut off, notably ours in the west country.

frosted glass

But no, the real source of my discontent with all things white and wet goes back much much further than that. It was the dreaded winter of 1962/1963.

I wonder how many of my friends here remember that one? I know Heron Mel does because he mentioned it in his blog too, but how many others of you do? I remember it vividly. It made a huge impression on my seven year old self. I believe it was the longest of the extremely cold winters of the twentieth century and I think every day of it is imprinted in my psyche. Don’t laugh. It’s true! I have a vivid recollection of trudging through heaped up piles of dirty frozen snow as we picked our way to the shops and to school. I remember my father desperately scraping the car windscreen which promptly froze again before he’d even finished. I remember crying all the way home from school because my feet were so cold (everyone together now...awww). I hated it. I hated it so much I have done everything I can to avoid the cold ever since. I’ve even written a book set in that winter (my Skipper’s Child) and some readers have told me they can really feel the cold coming off the pages...haha. Experience, you see! 

The funny thing is I project my hatred of it on everyone else too because I’m always worrying about friends and family being cold. My daughter teases me but, you see, I can’t imagine anything worse than feeling cold, so I don’t want anyone else to be either.

Well, you might ask what’s brought all this on? Why now? It’s this week’s snow of course. It’s not even Christmas yet! I’d got used to global warming. I was even enjoying it and now look what it’s done to me! This morning I had to travel to Rotterdam and it took me twice as long as usual. Why? Because of the snow! Why anyone should like the stuff, I don’t know. It’s not even pretty when  sky and snow merge into each other and there’s no other colour to be seen but white with a few spots of black where the trees poke their branches through it. It reminds me of those black and white war films. You know the ones. They  always seem to be set in Poland in winter where everyone is frozen and miserable. So, as far as I’m concerned, it’s made its point and it can go now. 

Okay, I’ve got that out of my system, so I’ll shut up  and smile again. But before I go, I’ll just post a couple of photos of when it started yesterday. Even snowy photos are better than no photos.




Dare I ask if you like it? Have a good week allemaal and keep warm!



18 comments:

  1. From the safety of a hot summer day, I love your chilly photos - very atmospheric. I see what you mean re the b/w war movies though. Totally agree about the misery of being freezing cold and my heart goes out to you as a little girl with very cold feet. Today you would probably have modern boots to keep off the chill. My daughter has happily adapted to life in snowy Canada after growing up in our tropical sunshine, and we are setting off to spend some time having a White Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very brave, Patricia, and you have my admiration and sympathy! I’m sure you will enjly it, though! Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. Lovely entertaining writing as always even when you’re describing something you don’t like !!
    I remember the winter of 1962/3 because I had my first bike for Christmas and couytake it out until almost April. The winter of 1978/9 I had my first baby in December and couldn’t take him
    out in his pram until February! A flurry of snow that gave us a day off school was fun - sledging and going home for hot tomato soup was lovely. In Italy the winter can be bitterly cold so we have wonderful clothes made of microfibre that keep you warm, snow boots so you walk safely and lots and lots of hot chocolate and mulled wine. Keep safe and warm dear Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Angela! I knew I could rely on your empathy! Your winter warmers sound wonderful. Mulled wine and hot chocolate...always good!

      Delete
  3. I love snow ! As long as I don't have to travel. The children love it too but why does it have to be so cold? It just spoils the fun. I remember the really cold winters of my youth no central heating and getting dressed for shook while sitting at a coal fire waiting on it heating the room up. The trudging through the snow to school with a pair on. Today's children are spoiled compared to those days. Anne Mackle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Anne! These kids know little of what it is to be really cold!

      Delete
  4. I echo your comments Val and I think that snow is best seen is on a postcard !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite! I knew you would agree with me, Mel. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, I remember all those. I think I quite enjoyed the 1962-3 one, as I was out playing for much of the time - and had no idea how difficult things were more my mother. In 78/79 I took small children to school on a sledge, and made it feel like an adventure for them. But now (and here I know I sound like an old person) it's falling on the ice that bothers me. I don't bounce any more. (But can almost forgive the snow if it's sunny - it's the grey and cold that I hate!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s the whiteout I can’t stand, Jo. That and simply being so cold it hurts. The sun is shining today, si things are looking uo :)

      Delete
  6. Dare I approach this page?
    Snow is a part of seasonal life where I live, and I wouldn't have it any other way! My good fortune comes from a life if learning to celebrate Winter. Indeed, it can slow things down a bit on the roads ( I got stuck twice in one morning a couple of weeks ago and wasn't able to make it to work - to go into detail on that adventure is an entire show in itself), having to spend the extra time to warm up my vehicle before leaving in the morning and scraping the ice and snow from windows can be a major pain, especially when I can barely reach the roof of my van! Just digging our way out to the driveway after a snowfall can be a challenge. The cold we deal with, too. It takes a bit of planing and many clothing layers, depending on the day and the conditions.
    Most of all, we make the best of it! Skiing in the peaks, skating on the lake, hockey in the arena or curling in the rink. Sleigh bells and horses, sled dogs and sledges, or simply a walk in a winter wonderland! ( Dresses appropriately for the weather, of course).
    Yes, winter wouldn't be the same without snow; I now raise my hot cup of morning coffee in honour of a bright, new and snowy day here in the mountains! ❄️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Dale, you are always welcome! I know your love of the snow and snow sports. Maybe I would appreciate it more in a mountain world too, but cities, traffic deadlines etc don’t go with snow at all and as for being cold?mWell, I doubt I’ll ever be convinced to celebrate that! But I don’t begrudge you your fun! Xx

      Delete
  7. Oh, Val,bless you! You have written this from your heart, but it's out of my heart, too. I'm sitting here shivering inside our house wearing three layers of cold - because I'm looking out at the white landscape on the other side of the window and trying not to hate it as much as I do. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are united in this, Steph. Stay in the warm and look after yourself! Xxx

      Delete
  8. But the beauty of it!! Snow transforms the waterways into places of magic, and brings magnificence to places that are ugly without it! More, more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we’ll have to agree to diagree here, Roger :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Val - I read Mel's post and have written my own (quite a few) with all the grim details of 1962/3 ... I could have added in more personal details no doubt ... but I'd rather it was Spring ... and not Autumn - but now I'll get a Vancouver Island Christmas time ...and some snow I expect - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m enjoying your Vancouver posts, Hilary. It will be interesting to know if the snow there is different somehow!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)