Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Picture Post: A dash up to Deventer



One of Deventer's very charming streets 

Every now and then, I take a trip to the east of Amsterdam to visit Saxion University in Deventer. It's work, so most of the two day trip is spent indoors, but in the evenings, I can stroll round this exceptionally pretty Duch town and if the weather is fine, I can walk along the river Ijssel. It is a beautiful stretch of water - much more natural than the river in Rotterdam and it is wonderful to stretch my eyes over the fields beyond. On Tuesday evening, the sky was clear, and the sun warm. Like many others who were either walking, eating picnics or simply gazing at the water, I loved being there. The photos speak for themselves, so I hope you like them.


A water authorities boat patrolling

Heading towards the lock

Still and peaceful in the lock

Evening light over the harbour

A lovely old clipper lies at rest

A sweet sign for dogs that there is always water for them there

The following morning in the main square

Tomorrow, I'll do a post about our first faring of the year!

12 comments:

  1. It looks so pretty and very typically Dutch. I love the cobbled streets xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is lovely, Fran. I love going there.

      Delete
  2. What an attractive town, and the water for the dogs is such a sweet gesture. Love the architecture in the last picture too. Have a great Easter Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. Happy Easter to you too!!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it fun when work takes you to wonderful places! (I was invited to speak at a Conference in Denver, and took the opportunity to drive to San Francisco - well, who wouldn't?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is Jo. I don't go very often, so it's all the more special when I do!

      Delete
  4. I love the little street in the first photo. I'd love to sit there with a coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely, isn't it, Anne? Sadly, I was on my way to the job so didn't have time to sit and stare, but maybe next time.

      Delete
  5. I think you mean 'to the north east of Holland' instead of Amsterdam :-)
    Nevertheless, Deventer is a very pretty town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mistake, Ivy. At first I was going to write north east of Rotterdam, but thought Amsterdam would make a better focal point for most people, so I changed that but forgot to take the 'north' out and just leave 'east' :) Thank you for alerting me to that! I've changed it now.

      Delete
  6. Deventer is very attractive looking town, the streets give me a reminder of similar looking places on the southwest England, a touch of Dartmouth perhaps ?
    Sorry Val, but that ship that you have named as a Clipper is incorrect because the rigging is wrong Clippers were square rigged with three very tall masts.That vessel is a Brigantine, which is a two masted vessel square rigged on the foremast, with fore-and-aft sails on the mainmast.
    When I was a lad in the Sea Scouts we had to memorise various types of rigs and name the sails of the clippers. I can only recall a few now the uppermost and top most one being the Royal Gallant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stand corrected, Mel :) I just called it a clipper because that's what they call them here only with a 'K' not a 'C'. In fact, I think this one is what they call a Kipperaak. I'm afraid all my barge terms tend to be a bit Dunglish!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)