Tuesday, April 18, 2017

First faring in fair wealther

I'm a bit late with posting these photos. I thought I'd be able to put them up last week, but life got in the way and so I can only add my somewhat belated report now of our first faring of the year. As with my last post, the photos tell their own story, and many of you will have seen these views before since we need to  travel quite a long way on the Ghent to Terneuzen Canal before we can branch off and go somewhere else. Thus it is that for a two hour 'spuddle', we can only see the same again...not that I mind! I love it, and I love seeing the great sea ships go past. I also enjoy faring past them. It feels so exciting even though it's probably the safest kind of faring we can do.

The weather was, as you can see, perfect, and my daughter joined us too. I particularly like the photos of her and Koos playing the fool. 

We headed north along the canal towards Terneuzen and then I got some manoeuvring practice in a side harbour. This was an interesting experience in how un-intuitive it all is for me...the wind didn't help either. I practised 'three point turns', but the wind only really let me reverse to the right. To achieve a left turn (with a left turning screw, which becomes right in reverse) is more difficult anyway, but with a strong wind blowing us broadsides, it was nigh on impossible. Add to that my lack of brain cells when it comes to how the steering behaves, and this didn't work all too well. At least I succeeded the other way!

Anyway, it was on the way back I suddenly had a light bulb moment. Driving a barge with a wheel is like driving a car. No one ever tells you this, but if you want to reverse to the right, you have to turn your wheel to the right...duh! I've spent years 'not getting' how to do it. If only someone had said how similar to a car it is I'd have been fine, but the books and instructors just don't make that connection. Odd, isn't it? Anyway, now I'll stop rabbiting and let the photos speak for themselves. Suffice to say we thoroughly enjoyed the first excursion of the year.


Heading out of the harbour

north...to Terneuzen

One of our routine sights - a cargo transporter

The whale to our minnow

My WOBs flag in full view too

Daughter and Koos seeking far horizons
And in more recent news, our sheeple have returned to the field next to the crumbly cottage. We love them for their characters and their company. Here are some close up pics. Don't you just love their expressions?



Have a great week, everyone. Have you had some good weather too?

11 comments:

  1. With regard to your steering difficulties. Then I can imagine if the helm person on that large ship had known, they would have been nervous about passing you just in case you scored their paintwork ? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that too, Mel :) But luckily I wasn't trying to go backwards. Had that been the case, he should have been very worried! I'm generally fine when I'm heading in the same direction as the bow :D :D

      Delete
  2. What beautiful photos Val, you make it sound very exhilarating and reminds me of how much I loved reading Swallows and Amazons as a child, your daughter is lovely! Take care steering your barge xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela. Wow! Swallows and Amazons. Yes, they were wonderful books!

      Delete
  3. I so love those first forays of spring - that tingly feeling of getting going again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Jo! Spring is so inspiring, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Your sheeple are very cute, and unusual. Just perfect for Easter symbolism. Looks like a sunny day, and Spring has come to your part of the world, making a lovely spuddle for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely, Patricia...just rather cold still!

      Delete
  5. A joy to read as always, Val! What great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I am a couple of weeks behind with my blog reading, but I don't know how I missed this post. Looks like a lovely trip and where did you find the sunshine?! I admire your barge handling, I used to find it tough enough handling the yacht. The tiller on that is reversed, if you want to go left you push right, my brain didn't like that idea xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)