Saturday, October 15, 2016

From fighting to faring in a week

I expect you're wondering what I mean by the title and it's not as bad as it sounds - well, the fighting bit isn't. To you, anyway.  My fights are not against the world, or countries or even people. As anyone who has read my recent posts knows, I have taken on the task of beating the beetle, lambasting the larvae and thoroughly whacking the woodworm on the Vereeniging.  Little bugs in the greater scheme of life, I know, but boy can they cause some (brain) damage.

As I mentioned last week, I'd ripped out the floor of my small aft cabin (we call it the roef) as it was riddled with woodworm. I've now cleared everything else out of the room, only to find they have started attacking the old cupboards and seats too. Luckily, these are all varnished, so they haven't got too far, but it's awful - a nightmare in fact. I have just now managed to order a smoke bomb from the UK to get into all the nooks and crannies that I might have missed, so I hope that once I have it, it will be the end of the little blighters.

Other than that, I've been working, as in teaching some very nice courses at the university, and also continuing with operation paint pot in my sleeping nook  on the barge. It's becoming almost smart now, so I'm really pleased about that. More photos soon, but I forgot to take any this week.

Now I'm back in Zeeland again, and there are other jobs to do. At least that was the plan. Today, we intended to go to the Hennie Ha where it is moored up and give her a good clean. But roads and good intentions have a way of getting diverted down a slippery slope. We arrived at the marina, and the sun was shining, the sky was what skies in holiday brochures look like and the canal called. What could we do? There really was no choice, so we took ourselves off for a bit of a faring fix. It was just wonderful as these photos will testify.

leaving the marina

Himself in relaxed mode as always

A regular at the Cargill plant

large commercial heading towards Terneuzen

Us steaming across the canal

to s small side branch harbour

where we watched the ships pass

Also heading for Terneuzen

Coal barges being pushed south

following the biggies

for a distance up the canal until we turned

And headed back past the regular visitor
and back to base
We managed some cleaning when we got back to the marina, but it was a half hearted affair. We were much too euphoric over our faring forth! Hoping you've all had a good week and wishing you some continued sunny weather.

19 comments:

  1. You needed that trip to get over your bug battles. May you soon have a lasting victory! Thanks for the great pictures. It was pouring down rain here, so I cleaned. Now, after reading your blog, I'm looking around for a barge in case the sun ever comes back....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barges are good for the soul, Steph, they really are :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you've treated yourselves to the faring, Val. All work and no play, etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger. I of course completely agree! :)

      Delete
  3. It's those spur-of-the-moment, serendipitous, and letting it all go when you get the call times that tend to stand out as the best of the best! Do as you would, not as you should days! 😊 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are so right, Dale! I like that - 'do as you would, not as you should' :) It has a suitably 'stolen moment' ring to it :) xxx

      Delete
  4. The memory of this little jaunt will carry you through the dreaded grey doldrums of the damps of winter! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carole! It will definitely help, I'm sure xx

      Delete
  5. Great than you are still managing to get to some lovely places, when you're not blighter-bashing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Jo. I need to come up for some fresh air now and then!

      Delete
  6. Faring is such an evocative word, and it does look blissful, Val. What a beautiful day it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia! Are you home again now?

      Delete
  7. Val. I really don't know what to say about you playing truant from working on your boat... though admittedly it is something that I might do now and then. Just for the sake of taking photo's for the blog and never to enjoy myself of course ;-)
    No seriously I have always thought that you were a work dedicated person. It just goes to show how wrong I can be at times.
    The photo's were brilliant and much appreciated the read of your faring :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed my photos, Mel, and yes...even I have my weaknesses ;)

      Delete
  8. Your photos are lovely! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for popping by, Linda! That's very kind :)

      Delete
  9. Your photos are lovely! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh woodworm how awful, I've heard it's really hard to deal with,hope the smokebombs help. I'm always amazed at how vast your waterways are. I don't know why ,I suppose I just always expect to see canals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live by the notion that cleaning can always wait (after all it is only going to need being done again later). You should always take advantage of the good weather to go faring, I highly approve! Xxx

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)