Saturday, October 08, 2016

Another one of those weeks

Yes, I know, it sounds as if I never stop, but I do. Not much of the time, I'll admit, but it does happen. This last week has been another one of those weeks that I had the week before. Got that? Good, because I'm not sure I have. The point is that it seems - the week that is - to have been more than usually busy (I think I said that last time too, didn't I?).

However, I can readily confess to being a very non morning person, so don't imagine for one minute I'm up with the lark. I never am and I cram everything into the day that's left after crawling out of bed at the weekend at somewhere around 10:00, sometimes later if I'm especially tired. During the week, it's earlier of course as I have to work, but I'm definitely not one of these 6a.m. risers. I'm not at all nice to know until I've had at least two cups of coffee and time to haul my brain out of the sludge that was sleep. But it was ever thus, so I'm used to it now.

Anyway, I digress. On Monday morning, we had to shoot up to Rotterdam from Zeeland horribly early to meet the man from the energy company so he could check the geyser in Koos' little flat (that he rarely visits but keeps as security), at which time we discovered the upstairs neighbour's loo was leaking into the bathroom and had ruined three towels, which were black and rotten. Not nice. In fact, fairly yuk. I'm a bit squeamish about such things, I've discovered. This unexpected crisis entailed meetings with the neighbour, phone calls to the owners' association, and attempts to make appointments with the plumber to come and assess the situation - none of which were immediately successful, but that's another story. Meanwhile off I went to work on my bike. Yes.

The autumn had sneaked in over the weekend and the temperatures had plummeted. It was simply cold. And the wind was blowing a hooley. But it was all rather deceptive because the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day and I wasn't expecting to struggle so. I battled over the Erasmus bridge this time and to give myself some breathing space, I took a few photos.




Then the next day, I had to brave the big Brienenord bridge again. Once more, it was a struggle and all the pleasure I'd had the previous week in climbing it without too much effort was over. It's the wind, see. It's a demon in this city and like to put anyone in a foul mood. One of my friends admits to swearing at the wind as she cycles. Well, I almost do too. The only solution is to stop and take some more photos; lovely isn't it?



Whatever I have to say about the wind, though I just love this city and its fabulous river. On Thursday afternoon, I was free, so I lured Koos into helping me remove the last floorboards in the back cabin of the Vereeniging. It's all gone now, and I'm just praying the woodworm have not burrowed their way into the old, varnished cupboards. I'll have to keep a close eye on them. The bare steel floor needs some cleaning and oiling before I put a new floor in, so there's quite a bit of work to be done still.

Worm-eaten floor removed


Koos manfully chopped all the wormeaten boards into small pieces. They are destined for a fiery demise.

Chopped into small pieces

A manful task
I also managed to give a second coat of paint to the ceiling above and the panels next to my bed.  I had to fill in a number of holes created by moving and removing screws at various times during the games with musical beds the various family occupants of the Vereeniging have played over the years. It'll all need another coat of paint before everything is smooth and even, but I'm pretty pleased with the result so far. And at least woodworm don't like paint...Am I getting paranoid about woodworm do you think? I probably am.


So that has been the week that was. Tomorrow, I am off to The Hague to take part in the second of our English Writing Festivals. There are six speakers altogether, and I will be talking about my Skipper's Child as an example of a Young Adult book. Wish me luck allemaal!

13 comments:

  1. You don't need luck, Val! Wow them, and have fun! (Note to self: "Hooley").

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know you don't leap up with the lark to do all this stuff, Val!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Jo, I don't. I wish I could as I'd get so much more done, but...

      Delete
  3. I get tired just reading your posts ~ but I do like the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad about that, CarolStar...'tis not my intention to exhaust you at all! Imthink you do just as much, though. Really!

      Delete
  4. Hm, I don't think one can ever get too paranoid about woodworm! :) Enjoy the English writing festival!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful write up enjoyed each word you described the lovely day so amazingly. Sun ,wins and water what else one need to enjoy the peace.
    You did good job as your room looks nice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know that you are keeping busy Val despite the winds - a hooley though oddly I have never heard that word used over here, so I guess it must be an americanism ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Mel, not that I know of. I think it's a Valism :))

      Delete
  7. Blowing a hooley,how very Scottish! Lovely photos Val.

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)