Saturday, September 03, 2016

World Harbour Days

This summer has been magical for me. We've spent more time on the barge than at any period in the past and had more fun faring than ever before. However, the summer is coming to an end and work is starting again. The students are flocking back into Rotterdam, a reminder for me that I still have a job to do and cannot drift around the canals forever.

Last weekend, we had a lovely outing on the Hennie H and discovered a canal close by our harbour in Sas van Gent we'd never been to before. This weekend, we are back in Rotterdam. It's the end of the season and with that comes World Harbour Days.

Traditionally, we do a tour of the harbours on the Vereeniging, but my old girl still has engine issues, so we took the rowing boat complete with electric motor out instead. It was a lovely 'spuddle' (our word for a short sort if 'joyride' trip on a boat) and we enjoyed the usual colour and vibrancy that this occasion involves. I don't really need to say much more as most of you will have seen World Harbour Days posts from me before. It is so much a feature of Rotterdam life and I just love it. The photos we took tell their own story, so I'll leave it at that. Apologies for the odd format, though. I don't have my laptop with me and cannot get Blogger right on my iPad.


One of many serious rowing teams taking part in a mega race



And another



Always busy in the Leuvehaven


Tugboating beauty


Tugboating muscles

Shanty choirs on the quay. They're everywhere

Koos doing a little skippering




On Monday, we will off to the boat yard for an inspection. After that, I'll be back to normal life as a teacher of academic and business English. But I have some books to write too and a blog to maintain. See you soon everyone!

11 comments:

  1. World Harbour Day looks to be a very worthy gathering and I see people their in national costume too. Good to see the familiar face of 'yer man' enjoying his self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good, Mel. A real Traditional Rotterdam occasion!

      Delete
  2. Presumably 'normal' life still involves living on the barge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but remaining static rather than cruising, Stephanie. I's love cruising to be normal life, but the government has ideas about keeping me at work for a few more years :)

      Delete
  3. What a great day - with or without an engine!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a magical day, Val. Thank you for sharing it with us. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was marvellous, Rena! Living on a historic barge is often hard work, but days like this are a great compensation.

      Delete
  5. Sounds brilliant! I am taking a particular interest at present as one of my kids has just spent some time staying in AMsterdam, an area called Nord, in a boat house. The photos and indeed the whole place look amazing. I thought I'd search your blog to see if you had mentioned this area at all in your watery wanderings, but I can't find a search facility on the blog. Maybe you could put one on sometime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny. I have nomidea how to do that, but will certainly investigate. As to your special interest, I don't go to Amsterdam very often and have never explored Nord as such, so I haven't blogged about it. I have been there, though and I know there are lots of houseboats there. Actually, Amsterdam in general has thousands of houseboats in vasrious states of repair. It's a wonderfully eccentric mix! I'll be there at the end of this month, so I'll take some photos to show you.

      Delete
  6. What a brilliant event to spuddle in!

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)