Thursday, August 28, 2014

Only in Wallonia

Today, I decided to have an away day. Owing to all the commitments and deadlines I have this summer, there's been no time for a holiday as such, so I felt that having drafted several sections of my dissertation and done a heap of boat work, I deserved some hours off. So, with Koos in Poland and too much rain for painting, I went south to seek the company of those wonderful Wandering Snails of note, Anne and Oll.

Their narrowboat, generally referred to simply as Snail, was moored at Pommeroeul which is a lovely village in the far south of Belgium. However, as is often the case, the canal is a good stretch from the village itself and the Snail was moored at the junction between the busy and much used Canal Nimy Blaton-Peronnes and the Canal Hensies-Pommeroeul, which is no longer accessible to boaters owing to serious silting at the French border through which it passes (a long story for perhaps another post). As a result, there is a large lock at the junction with the canal from Blaton to Peronnes that is no longer in use.

Canal junction with the lock being the thin blue line between
the two basins

It is a lovely spot, even when the weather is bad (as it was today). I have been there a couple of times before but hadn't matched the name to the place until I arrived. There is a wide basin just before the lock and the sense of space and even solitude is marvellous (see aerial photo here). I'd had what might be called an 'interesting' drive down given that I got lost three times on route and endured Sindy shouting at me every time I slowed down to find out where I was. Added to that, it poured with rain for most of the journey, and I was an hour and a half later than I said I'd be. As a result, my sense of humour had taken quite a hammering by the time I pulled up next to the jetty. Even so, it was lovely to step out of the car (in the drizzle) and breathe in the fresh (damp) air and take in the space and tranquillity of the place again. It was also wonderful to see Anne and Oll again and we spent some good catch-up hours together.

But there is one thing about the lock at Pommeroeul makes it particularly special. In fact, it empitomises what makes Belgium, and particularly Wallonia, such a fascinating country. This écluse hasn't been used for twenty years, yet it is still manned and the lock keeper is there in his office on a daily basis. About the only work he has to do as far as operating the lock itself goes is to open the gates occasionally to let a boat in so the crew can fill up with water; other than this, he has no other locking duties to perform. Twenty years. To have a job that is no job. Almost unbelievable isn't it?

The rather grand and business-like lock keepers office

The lock from the end closest to the Blaton-Peronnes Canal

When I heard this I could only shake my head in wonder and laugh. Belgium is always full of surprises. It is the home of surrealism and somehow this disused, but permanently manned lock sums it up for me.

There is something very gallic about it too - and it reminds me in a way of the automated locks in France that don't operate at lunchtime (true). A quirk that fits in well with the French reputation for their love of lunch.

But this is even more mystifying. Perhaps it is because the Belgians take the quirks just one step further, and the Wallonians, (being French-speaking) go another step beyond that too. So what can I say except what my title says? Where else could this happen? Nowhere else of course. Only in Wallonia.

9 comments:

  1. A very humorous blog Val which made me laugh on a few occasions.
    By the way can you tell me where I can apply for a job like that please ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Mel, I think you'll need to move to Belgium, although why you can't find one like this in Ireland I can't imagine…being a land of lovely quirkiness too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun - and I'll. let you know if I find quirkiness Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Val - well that was a fun trip to see your friends .. but more interestingly to us are the stories you told .. yes total quirkiness!

    Strange but true .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh Jo, I shall watch out for news on your travels to Ireland! Lovely to see you popping in and I hope you're having a fabulous summer.

    Hilary, it is strange, but truth is often stranger than fiction, isn't it? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely trip!!! And you get lost too ...join the crowd!! Looking forward to welcoming you back on Social Media..it is very quiet without you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I will fight Mel to a job like that one! Lovely post xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol, my sense of direction is hopeless. Unless I have clear road signs and road numbers to follow, I'm completely useless xx

    Fran, join the queue! :-D xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strictly speaking the Conde-Pomm canal and, as at every year that we moor there, the locky tells us with great seriousness that the canal is due to be re-opened very soon.....
    A record 5 waterways staff turned up one day to peer into this very deep lock and then go off again. But, just in case the locky is reading this, we were very grateful to him for letting us in to fill up with water on our unscheduled protracted stay this time. And very lovely to see you too Val. xx

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)