Sunday, December 08, 2013

Introducing Pat Orchard: Singer songwriter

I've known about Pat Orchard for some time. He is one of Koos's friends on Facebook and Koos has often amused me with comments and asides that Pat has made. I also knew he was a 'rocker' as Koos puts it, but had never listened to any of his music until yesterday. I was sitting on the sofa working on some assignments when I heard this beautiful song coming from Koos's direction. The song, music and lyrics captured me instantly. Who's that? I asked

When Koos told me, he pulled back so I could see the video that went with it. It was so magical I just gaped. As someone whose core business is writing, I am rarely lost for words. I am now, so as I really wanted to share this lovely piece of writing - musical, lyrical and visual - I am posting it here for my friends in blogland. So, everyone, meet Pat Orchard through his music:



LYRICS
Across the sand towards the shade
I'm looking back at the tracks I've made
The same old smile on the same old face
This sea-side town the same old place
But will there be a trace
Of when we were young
Of when we were young
Of when we were younger
Than today

And across the maer onto the dunes
I listen to the skylarks tune
I watch the children as they play
And how they steal my thoughts away
I'm running through another day
Of when we were young
Of when we were young
Of when we were younger
Than today

But I
I remember the heather on the moors
And the running home from top of the granite Tors
Down watery lane I'm chasing shadows once again
Of when we were young...
But how the time will fly
Just pass you by
How the time will fly
How the time will fly

Take my hand and we'll walk in the sun
We'll talk of the past - of all we have done
Old stories are always the best
Remember the good - forget the rest
And we can just reminisce
Of when we were young
Of when we were young
Of when we were younger
Than today
Yesterday

Lyrics/Vocals/guitar Pat Orchard
String arrangement Tony Lowe

Video filmed and produced by Jake Bryant

12 comments:

  1. That was lovely Val. I enjoy songs where I can hear the words,there are so many dongs today that at the end I haven't understood one word of it. Lovely words too. There's a David Cassidy song from the seventies called,You can't go home again,about someone visiting their old home town and everyone has changed,the people he knew have all gone now and his memories,not all good are flooding back,it always makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anne. I think it is really gorgeous! And yes, I know what you mean about the lyrics. I don't follow words very well as I have a bit of a hearing problem (I can't distinguish what people say if there's any background noise), so I love it when they are so clear. I'll have to find that David Cassidy song on YouTube now….xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was beautiful. It made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Ros, it touched me deeply too. So lovely, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very talented guy. Lyrics are often hard to work out.

    Thanks for your recommendation on when to visit Amsterdam. If I ever get back, I'll try for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for dropping by, Denise! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that was truly beautiful, and very sad in a way. I had almost forgotten about when I was young, possibly because it was so long ago, or is it because we are usually far too busy to think back?
    But if I am honest, it is because life is hard enough with reminding you of everything you could have done so much better. Sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Music can touch us in ways nothing else can... thankyou for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Anita and Stevie. I found it ver poignant as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post. Music has so many emotional resonances...of good times, times when we were young, sad times....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, CarolStar.. yes, music hits those spots more easily than words alone in many respects. I am very susceptible...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts and emotions. Like Prousts' Madeleine cakes, my little song is a memory on the tip of the tongue.. Wishing all of you a lovely Festive Season. Come to my music Facebook page where there are other free songs if you like.
    https://www.facebook.com/patorchardmusic?ref=hl
    Pat x

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)