Monday, April 08, 2013

The Reality Blog Award

Warm, witty, funny and above all spunky. That's how I think of Jo Carroll. She has become a true blog pal so I was just as truly honoured when my blog was one she nominated in The Reality Blog Award. Luckily, I just have to answer some questions, but they are quite challenging and really got me thinking, so...first the picture and then the answers:



This picture certainly describes many of my blogging friends, so let me see if I can come up with something to do justice to this idea and then pass on the baton to some of the others:

1.  If you could change one thing what would it be?  

All forms of racial prejudice. I know that's fairly broad, but as I teach in a very international environment, I come across it from the most unexpected sources at times. Apparently DNA archaeology has pretty much proved that we are all originally from the same stock, so no one really has a reason to see other races as different other than culturally - and cultural differences are surely to be celebrated.

2.   If you could repeat an age what would it be?

Jo said her choice was the sixties, but I can pinpoint mine to a single year. For some reason, I loved being 22. Maybe that was when I felt I became my own person rather than simply my parent's daughter.

3.  What one thing really scares you?

Oh dear, there are too many of them really. I'm the worst 'what if' worrier in the world and I anticipate disaster round every bend in the river, but, and you're going to find this curious from a boat dweller, I'm really scared of drowning. Luckily, I can swim - I made sure of that very early on!

4.   If you could be someone else for a day, who would it be?

I've never wanted to be anyone else, but let me think now. Whose shoes would I like to walk in for a day? Maybe Alison Krauss the singer. Firstly, I love her voice, and secondly, she's a brilliant fiddler. I'd love to know what it's like to be able to play the violin with such ease and dexterity instead of making the horrible squawking noises that come out of mine when I try.

Okay, so now it's my turn to nominate some of my favourite bloggers. It might be hard to find some who haven't been nominated yet, as there are so many worthy ones, so I'll branch out and suggest the following:

Fran of Bonnie of Clyde

Carol of Carol Hedges although I suspect she might well have been nominated already

Christina of Christina James

Thanks again, Jo, this was fun.


7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I loved your answers. A sensible idea to learn to swim if you are on the water so much.I was passed this award too so I'm not going to say what my answers would be as I will do it after the A-Z is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, passing this baton on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to two of my favourite bloggers now. It's funny how my blog pals have changed in recent months. I rarely see any of my older blogging friends here, apart from the lovely Fran and Mel of Irish fame. The friends I first had in blogland have largely moved to Facebook now, so I am very very happy to have met you two as well as Ros, Hilary, Carol, Christina and Chris since I joined Twitter. Blogging is still my place, but Twitter has been great for new contacts. Thanks again, Jo and Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been nominated already... but thank you. We are becoming a nice little 'group of pals'...I still think a joint visit to your barge would be a great adventure!!!
    Interesting how, even though we have all never physically met - tho I am about to meet Christina at her upcoming book launch, we are, as you say' friends'. I certianly value the support of Ros and Anne and their wise advice, even though it frequently comes with a ticking off. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Val, thank you so much. I will have a think about the questions and repost over the weekend. Thank you for your message. I was offline for a few days so am now just catching up on my blog reading. Have a good weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)