Tuesday, December 21, 2010

End of the year limbo

And here's the black and white calendar. I like them both so much, I'm getting them both...one for the Vereeniging and one for the little house.
It's strange how the end of the year can make me feel. On the one hand, I like having a few weeks with less work - once the marking is over, that is. On the other, I find I have difficulty in managing my time. I know there are a multitude of things I really want to do, such as writing, finishing my thesis, doing some water colour painting, making a couple of skirts and so on, but my reluctance in getting down to any of them seems to suggest I don't want to do anything at all.

As a salve to my conscience, though, I have made a calendar using my own photos of the past year for my family, and I was pleased to hear that my sister had received hers yesterday. My family have got so used to having a Val calendar now that it's more or less expected, which is fine, because it solves a few of the Christmas gift worries. Having done that, I got to thinking that maybe a calendar would be a good medium for Koos' photos too, so now we have selected just a few of the images he took in Poland on this last trip and have made a calendar of those too. I think they look great, so apart from the usual family requirements, I have made it available on my Lulu.com 'storefront' in the hopes that others might find it appealing too.

Here it is for any of my blog friends who are interested:

I'm intending to make another couple. One will definitely be of his black and white photos, and another probably of Rotterdam. I think calendars are a good idea for promoting someone's art work, and of course it saves me from getting down to all the other things I've been putting off doing! In a very constructive way too, which can't be bad.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Val (and Koos)

    I think the idea is a great one, and I am going to promise myself to set aside tomorrow night to order the calendar and Abstractions (perhaps you might want to rename my copy Procrastination).

    I am scrambling to get everything done before boarding a plane on Saturday, but I did manage to get Xmas cards out this year- look for yours to be there soon.

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. the photos look great as always and it's a brilliant idea to make them into a calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that perhaps the procrastination comes from being too busy for too long and needing down time, daydream limbo! Lovely calendar. It's too bad I don't use large calendars, but small ones. I love the one you made of Koos's work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a shrink might call the calendar work "constructive work avoidance", eh? I will take a look at lulu when I get back home on January 5 and see what you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Val, how creative to make a calendar! Great idea, and it's beautiful!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all need time to just chill out (literally at the moment with all the snow). Take time and enjoy just being. Great idea for the calendars x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant idea Val :) Hope you have been well :) I get my down time in a week or two - thank God :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous timing! I NEED a wall calendar! I will...come Tuesday (pay day!).

    Okay...onto 2011. Cannot wait until Tuesday.

    And ... write, woman. never mind the skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to everyone of you for the kind words and support fro Koos's photography.

    Anne Marie, thank you even MORE for buying them.

    Gina...lol... you are right. I need to write! Thanks my friend.

    Destiny...wonderful to see you here again. I've missed you.

    Stu, Grace, Tom, String, Fran many thanks for the kind words. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh and Gina, you might like the black and white calendar even more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A self-made calendar is a gift tradition. It is more personal and has more thought and love put into it than any fancy gadget you could buy.

    I just noticed the b&w calendar is up for sale, and I'm definitely going to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maria, thank you so much. I do agree about the personal calendar. Mine has pictures of my girls and Koos and is there for the rest of my family..and I know they really appreciate it.

    Koos's calendars are there to be appreciated by everyone, though, and yes, I am buying a b&w one for myself too as I love this selection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are both great, although I like the coloured one best! Koos takes such stunning photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Val, I'm just popping in here to wish you and Koos a Merry Christmas from a very cold place called Finland.
    :)
    Hans

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)