Saturday, December 05, 2009

Just one of those weeks

This week's been a tad gruelling.

On Wednesday I taught for 8 straight hours; on Thursday it was 13 hours without a break; on Friday I dragged myself out of bed to prepare for a long afternoon session, which finished at 5. After arriving home Friday evening, Mo called me in distress. The gangplank had fallen off the Vereeniging and was hanging straight down in the water. No access to ship possible. Three hours later (or thereabouts) we had it fixed again.

But then walking along the quay, a young gentleman approached me and said "Excuse me, but are you VallyP?"

Well, suddenly the evening improved. It was none other than the famous Invader Stu, whose blog I have been reading and loving for a few years now. As he is best known by his cartoon appearance, I won't spoil the mystery and describe him - that is not unless he fails to deliver the book the girlfriend (who shall also remain nameless), and I were urging him to write before they finally disappeared into the mists at midnight last.

I have, however, threatened to reveal his identity and appearance by gradual stages if he doesn't compile a volume of his brilliant blog stories and cartoons. May I suggest you take a look at his site and let me know if you agree?..perhaps the force of greater numbers will also persuade him - that is if the fear of having the real Stu published for all the world to see doesn't do it first!

Seriously though, it was a great pleasure to meet another great blog friend and his very charming and lovely lady. We invited them into the Luxor, which was in a state of chaos as a result of the hectic week I'd had and the panic stations following the gangplank disaster, but they took it in their stride, and I'm hoping they'll be back for a proper evening of good food and plentiful South African red before too long.

13 comments:

  1. what...a .....small world! Last time I did that, at a job, I was served with a subpeona!! (from a shady landlord who had a shotty fireplace that caught on fire and tried to blame me, but ultimately found his fault!) (just had to clear that up). But his turned out a really cool situation. :)
    hope you can get some rest soon. long days, long hours....very very tough and exhuasting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the wall behind the fireplace caught on fire...not supposed too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole way home I kept on saying to 'the girlfriend' that it was amazingly lucky to bump into. I guess it was just supposed to be :) We had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool Val, although not the overwork part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always fun to meet bloggers in real life, no? ;)

    I had the same exhausting week, Val, except I spent the extra hours meeting parents, most of whom were charming, some of whom were quite hilarious in wanting us to drive their children even harder than we do, and a few I could have tossed into a river. All in all, emotionally draining.

    The cure? Do some writing. It soothes the weary beast. Worked for me. :)

    xx
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every cloud has a silver lining, Val! We just have to know where to look for it, and it seems you found yours.
    I've read some of "Stu's" blogs and he is a fine writer. I admire fine writing, by the way...

    I don't envy you your grueling week, though.
    I will be heading into a grueling winter, I'm afraid. Although the work is fun, it is strenuous and taxing at the same time. Managing the cold takes a bit of energy, as well. But it will feel good to get back to some good, honest, hard work!

    What a wonderful chance meeting! I am so looking forward to finally meeting some fellow bloggers myself!

    lol Grace! It took me a minute to figure out what you were getting at. Sometimes it pays to question "who's asking?"

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Grace, I get the picture! I can well imagine you wouldn't relish such an unexpected encounter!

    Stu, we must do it again ;)

    String, t'was great. I love meeting blog friends, and you are on the list...the overwork is temporary, but friendships are much more lasting.

    Anne Marie, I don't envy you all your parents' meetings and reports. I'd still choose my job I think! Take care of that arm of yours, and keep writing too!

    Yes Dale, and what a silver lining it was. I know you're about to have your very busy season. I remember last year you disappeared off the scene for quite a while. I hope you won't need to desert us this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm... Invader Stu, eh? Sounds a bit nefarious to me... perhaps they should add THIS mysterious blogger to the list of suspects regarding the missing Margie CM and get me off the hook! heheheh... might just put in a call meself... (check my blog for further clarification!)
    Dreadful sounding week Vally, but capped at least with such a happy encounter! I will get my lazy self to his blog tonight as the kittens (lazy lot themselves) doze in front of the fireplace. Never saw such a trio of spoiled cats, I tell you what.
    And off as well to read your new book!
    much love, hugs for you and Koos and Mo and all!
    xo
    Stevie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just proves that things can end nicely. Seems like this encounter was just what you needed. It's great to meet bloggers "off-line" isn't it.

    Oh, and I also hope that your work hours become a little more balanced and that you have no more surprises on your barge.

    Lesley
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh yes! We would love to come back one night for food and great African wine (at least, i take it you meant that?) And a good chat... :D I love your stories, and especialy now i've met you and Koos...it makes it all so much better! We'll have to meet again soon !
    I hope you'll have a great weekend ahead of you, time to relax etc.
    See you soon...
    *the girlfriend*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that's awesome! I hope I can bump into you one day too ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The day before the first dance we were all treated to an ensemble by a Navajo Flute Player (who played us several songs). shares following the acceptance of CEO Steve Jobs, which Technicheskie osobennosti uvelirnogo iskusstva (Central Asia from the Achaemenids to the Timurids) St.Petersburg, 2005

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)