Friday, September 01, 2023

Wrapping August up in style: away days to remember

Over the past weeks of August, we've had a few really very nice away days, so although we haven't been on holiday, these trips have punctuated what has otherwise been a somewhat unadventurous summer for us. The odd thing is that we could have gone faring but we lost the impetus after the soaking weather in July and August. When we did get the chance, we didn't manage to gather ourselves together to do so. 

As a result, it's been a quiet time and one I've spent mostly doing DIY jobs at the Crumbly Cottage and on Vereeniging. So when we made trips to Leiden to visit Koos's son and Bruges to see a WOB (Women on Barges) friend, we felt quite bold by leaving our shire. We also had an afternoon out in the abandoned village of Doel, near Antwerp. Then last week I ventured even further and went to London for the day to spend time with my sister who was having a significant birthday. And to top it all, a couple of days ago, we started the Hennie H and went for a spuddle. Grand excitement all round, especially as it's inspired us to try and head for Gent (Ghent) tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of Leiden because we didn't go into the city itself. Koos's son has bought a very nice house in the suburbs and we went directly there. What made the visit even more enjoyable was the arrival of his brother, who also lives in Leiden just a short bike ride away. The drive to see him was something of a wake-up call for us rural types, however. 

We live in possibly the least populated area of the country and we were driving through the most densely inhabited part. The Randstad includes everything from Rotterdam, the Hague, Leiden, Amsterdam and Utrecht and is the industrial and commercial heart of the Netherlands. Even on a Saturday morning, the traffic jams on the Rotterdam ring road were as bad as any rush-hour. It took us three hours to do the 170 km (105 miles), which the heat of that particular day made a bit punishing. Still, it was good to see how the rest of the country's folk live—in one endless traffic queue. It served to remind me how blessed I am to have escaped it all.

Our trip to Bruges was also quite a slow one. Google told me it would take 45 minutes by car. Well, that's only possible if you run all the red traffic lights that seem to crop up every couple of kilometres along the main road. In theory, the E34 is a highway; in practice, it's a dual carriageway on which you can rarely sustain the speed limit of 90kph for more than a few minutes. Nevertheless, a visit to Bruges (or Brugge as the Flemish call it) is always lovely and we thoroughly enjoyed meeting up with the delightful Mandy and her equally charming husband, Guy. Zoe was as good as gold and settled down under the table, snoozing as we ate and chatted. 

Again, we didn't go into the city; it hums with tourists at this time of year and we've been many times before, but I love the canal that rings most of the town (ringvaart) with its drawbridges and historic gates. Our friends were moored in the Coupure, a canal that extends into the heart of the city and links to other canals that weave their way through the quaint old streets.

Boats and barges line the Coupure

Conzett Bridge over the Coupure is a special
rolling bridge that is lifted up by the cables you
can see. A Google Maps view is here

Another pleasure was an unexpected meeting with another WOB friend, Becky. She and her partner, David, were temporarily moored opposite Mandy while on their way south. I couldn't leave without saying hello, and as luck would have it Becky was on board. She and her beautiful dog, Gig, walked to the next bridge with us on our return to the car, making the day doubly special. To meet fellow boaters I've only chatted to on Facebook is just so rewarding.

As for Doel, our decision to go was something of an impulse. We've been several times over the years and it never ceases to fascinate us. I won't go into detail about its history here but suffice to say it was one of several villages intended to be sacrificed to Antwerp's need for more harbours and docks. Owing to a downturn in the economy, the planned developments didn't happen, and anyway, some of the villagers refused to leave. As a result, while most of the buildings and houses are empty and derelict, a few are still inhabited. There are still vestiges of life in this strangely appealing place on the shores of the Schelde (Scheldt) estuary, and we never fail to enjoy being there; as do many others who visit at weekends too.

Doel has a marina too, accessed from the tidal river

The sea dyke with its old windmill against the backdrop of
the nuclear power plant. Old vs new.

All the empty houses are boarded up, a magnet for graffiti lovers

Nature's art seeking to disguise man's 

Once upon a time there was a petrol pump

Another example of nature getting its own back

My trip to London was the last, and possibly most impulsive of all these away days. I'd hoped to travel on the Eurostar to London and back but only booking a week in advance, it proved too expensive at such short notice and I'd have had too little time in London as well, so I took the train there from Brussels and the overnight coach from Victoria back to Gent. Anyway, long story short, I met my sister at St Pancras and we spent the day in St John's Wood where our family lived between 1955 and 1967. 

It was a day of walking, talking and reminiscing, with the extra joy of having our brother and his wife join us for lunch. For me, time with my siblings is precious as it happens rarely, so this was a day to treasure and a perfect way to celebrate my sister's birthday.

The underground station just as I remember it

Our road: its name was apt as our
house suffered badly from rising damp


I remember coming here with my brother when he was
going through a train spotting phase.

The house we lived in until I was 12. When the lease
expired, the rents became unaffordable and we had
to leave.

When I was a child, this was a Blue Star garage. It's a listed
building now.

I love this skew telephone box. The pub on the
corner was where my eldest brother had
his first drink


My last photos for August are of our first trip out on our Hennie H a couple of days ago. We went all of four kilometres to 'visit' Vereeniging, but it didn't matter. It was Zoe's first cruise out of the marina too, so a landmark (or canalmark) event. I don't think they need any explanation, but I do love the ones of Zoe in her lifejacket. She seems totally unfazed by it.


Pondering on snacks she could have

Crossing the canal in the wake of the big boys


Hennie H and Vereeniging look lovely next
to each other

Luckily, they're about the same height

But Hennie H is visibly shorter

And off we went again, back to HH's mooring

She can stir up quite a wash

Ain't she sweet?



It can get chilly on the water


So that's my wrap up for August, allemaal. I hope September will be kind to you all. There are definite signs of Autumn on the way here, but I believe the coming week will be hot again, so here's hoping for a bit of Indian summer. Till next time and have a good weekend.





11 comments:

  1. I think Mandy is on a Catamaran in Coupure? I “met” her online after we had just left there, when I officially joined the WOB page. I had seen their boat while we were there so knew who she must be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s right, Janis. Mandy is on the catamaran. She too has been ‘harbour bound’ due to her husband’s need to be close to doctors, so they haven’t been away either.

      Delete
  2. You packed August full! Good for you. Zoe looks like she's become quite the sailor. I love the picture of the skew telephone box - and all your photos as usual. You are so right; it is a blessing to live in the country or at least out of the city! Trusting September will be good and full for y'all also. (steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as always, Steph. Living away from the city has made me appreciate how much I dislike noise and crowds :)

      Delete
  3. Good to hear you got out on the water in your barge and I loved all the photos. Of course, the star of the show is Zoe in her life jacket. I hope she's well now. David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you, David. Zoe is indeed the star and she’s definitely the light of my life right now.

      Delete
  4. It seems you had quite a few adventures during August! A day trip to London sounds lovely, but exhausting - I hope you could take a nap on the bus home. Zoe is gorgeous, and looks so calm on the water. Your two barges side by side look like sisters - so bright and stylish. I like the photo of a dyke, as I have never really known how big they are, and have wondered. Doel looks interesting in a nostalgic way - I do hope it can be revitalised some day. It is hard to imagine empty houses like that, as Australia is bursting at the seams, and nowhere near enough housing has been built to accommodate our rapidly expanding population. Have a great month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia. Yes, it's a strange situation with Doel as there's a big housing shortage here too, but because it was condemned to be demolished, they cannot use the homes as they are. I think most of them would be considered unsafe now. We've heard it might be renovated, though, so here's hoping! I'm glad you enjoyed the other photos of Zoe and the barges.

      Delete
  5. What a busy August you have had with one thing and another. Lovely for you to have those family visits as it's always good to spend time with family. Those traffic jams though! I hate driving in busy traffic like that. Lovely and interesting photos as always Val and yes, Zoe is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Rebecca. My apologies for finding your comment a bit late, but it was lovely to read it. I am now very glad I rarely have to battle with that traffic, I must say. It's good to be reminded of how fortunate we are now and then, though. And yes, it was lovely to spend time with my sister and brother. It happens far too rarely.

      Delete
  6. Hi Val - interesting post ... and you were busy ... and how much has changed in the time of our life - I'm feeling now like my grandparents et al must have felt after WW2 ... so much fast forwarding. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)