Monday, June 19, 2023

Preparing for boating adventures

This past week has been an exceptionally warm one here in our small corner of Zeeuws Vlaanderen, and even a whole degree warmer than pretty much everywhere north of us. Have I ever mentioned we have the honour of having our address in the warmest village in the Netherlands? It seems to be true because there's even a new sign up at the village entrance proclaiming this fact. Of course, this is an average and includes winter as well (to my joy), because the far southeast of the country around Maastricht often has hotter days during the summer.

Anyway, I digress as usual. Apart from finishing my sunroom (serre) wall, which, barring a couple of long screws that I need, is almost complete, we've been busy on the Hennie H, getting ready for our summer faring adventures. Most of this activity has been inside, partly due to the great loo project being the most important to accomplish, and partly because the hot weather has made it impossible to paint the roof and sides of the living area. Unless I can get up and at it by 6a.m., a time not suited to my own slow-to-warm-up engine (just a euphemism for the fact I don't do early starts), then the bulk of the exterior paintwork will have to wait for cooler, cloudier weather, 

However, I have started on the rear section behind the steering wheel, which is fiendishly difficult to get at and is therefore often neglected. The problem is that I can't get a sander in behind the wheel and regulator, so it all has to be done by hand. I have to bend myself triple and into unnatural positions, an exercise in contortion which isn't much fun, I can assure you, especially at my advancing years.

The area around the window is very difficult to reach with
a sander, so it mostly has to be done by hand.

Signs of neglect are always apparent
I don't enjoy being a contortionist

As for the loo, Koos has almost finished his work. He's even added a flip up table to the new back wall of our newly spacious WC so we can have a dining table rather than being obliged to eat on our laps as we have done in the past. Such a move has become even more necessary since acquiring our new shipmate, whose interest in food is of an all absorbing nature. We hardly dare eat anything on the sofa now, and I'm still amused by a question I read recently on Google: "How do I know if my spaniel is hungry?" The answer was a short "spaniels are always hungry". This has proved to be very true and I'm having trouble keeping the excess kilos off my increasingly tubby friend.

The two pics below show Koos protecting the sandwiches I made for him to take on a trip. Note the indignant expression on said spaniel's face.





Anyway, photos of the new loo and table will follow as soon as we've cleared away the tools and made the space look presentable again. Meanwhile, the new crew member has also been prepped for the summer by having a major trim. She hates being brushed and fussed over, so it was off to the experts for her. Unfortunately, her coat seems to be growing back fast already, but hopefully, it won't get too long before we're back in port again. I have yet to introduce her to the dubious joys of swimming. Spaniels are supposed to love water, right? Well, not this one. We shall have to see if I can persuade her to take a paddle at the very least, but bearing in mind her distaste for stepping in puddles, I don't hold out much hope.

Well that's it for this week, allemaal. Hoping you're all enjoying the glories of a hot summer if you're in the north, and a not too frigid winter for those of you in the south. I'll finish with some photos of earlier faring just to get you in the mood for this year's trip. More on where and why next time!










If, by any chance, you're interested in our travels through Belgium and France, here's a link to my first travel memoir, Faring to France on a Shoe: https://mybook.to/FaringForthAgain




 



16 comments:

  1. Such lovely news and wonderful photos. Koos and the dog made me laugh, thank you! :D Just what I needed this morning.

    Your photos transport me - no pun intended - to the Netherlands, and I can just imagine the warm mornings. I do find it easy enough to rouse at six these light days, but I doubt my resolution will last....

    Thank you! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, thank you so much. For some reason Blogger didn’t post my earlier reply, but I am so pleased my post made you smile. I wish I could do early mornings as they are so beautiful. Today is the longest and I am sad they will just get shorter from now on.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post Ms V! So happy to hear your diy klusjes are all going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Val and thank you so much for your latest blog. You certainly gave me a fit of the giggles when I saw how Koos kept his sandwich safe from your very disgruntled furry shipmate. All your boating photos almost make me wish I could go cruising down the canals here in the UK. Did I ever tell you I actually got temporarily seasick on a canal barge? 😂

    ReplyDelete

  4. Hi Lorraine. I’m glad it made you giggle. It was very funny to see too! I can easily believe you got seasick in a canal boat. It happens to me too now and then. 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy that you've had some good weather and you will get to travel the watery ways this summer! Wish Savannah had Zoe's love for food - but she shares the dislike for water! Happy travels and God bless. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph, it’s very odd that they dislike water, especially in this warm weather. I hope Savannah is keeping cool, my dear!

      Delete
  6. Hi Val, you must be so happy to have your great loo project almost completed. That will make life so much easier. I love your photos and had to laugh at Koos keeping his sandwiches safe from Zara! Great balancing act. Happy faring and I hope the good weather continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! Zoe was most put out that she couldn’t reach those sandwiches. It was so funny. Thank you for the kind comment and I’ll keep you posted on our summer plans.

      Delete
  7. You must be excited to be going off exploring on your boat, hope you have good weather. Will you be able to keep posting your stories & photo's and how do you connect to the internet when travelling?
    Our last two dogs were Cavellier King Charles Spaniels, both Suzi and Jasper hated water and would walk around puddles to avoid getting their feet wet! 😆 Popcorn has no problem with getting wet, or very muddy, and as for eating anything that's available he's managed to work out how to open the bin in our kitchen!
    Lovely photo's Val, looking forward to following your adventure. 😊 🐕 🐢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, I'm more than ever convinced Zoe is a cross with a Cavalier King Charles. She's a lot smaller than either the English or American cockers and she has that little nose as well. Now you say your dogs hated water too, it makes even more sense. She's not well at the moment and is off to the vet in the morning for an investigation under anaesthetic, which is both worrying and comforting. I have to say I laugh every time you mention Popcorn. He sounds like a very high energy pup, and both delightful and exasperating.

      As regards your question about internet when we're travelling, we mostly use our phones, but we go to WiFi spots when we can find them. Some marinas have them, and many cafés do as well, but it's a bit hit and miss.

      Delete
    2. The photo of Zoe with Koos reminds me of my Suzi, she had that look at times. I agree she looks more Cavelier than Anerican Cocker.

      Delete
  8. Hi Val - how funny about Zoe and those sandwiches! Love them all - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)