Friday, September 02, 2022

A picture post as an interim

                              

Arriving on our beloved Sambre

About the only industry remaining on the river in Belgium



Leaving the big lift at Strèpy Thieu a few days before arriving on
The Sambre



Faring through Tournai on our fourth day from home 

Typical Wallonian scenery

Evening at one of our favourite moorings in Antoing
south of Trournai 

One of the biggest locks on the Canal Nimy-Blanton

On the Sambre










 Unfortunately, captioning all these photos seems to be too difficult on my iPad. I hope you enjoy them anyway and I’ll try and address the problem later. For now, we have had a wonderful two and a bit weeks, and are now heading northwards for home next weekend. My apologies for the lack of posts and disorganized order of the photos, but I’ll do my best to sort them out and add text soon.


Have a great weekend allemaal and I’ll fill you in as soon as signal and connection allows. Meanwhile, maybe you’d like to guess at some of the spots  pictured here :)

10 comments:

  1. You lucky pair! I'm so glad you've finally got out on the rivers. I look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roger. We feel incredibly lucky as we never imagined we’d reach where we wanted to go. The canal closures have come thick and fast, but we’ve been blessed to travel on the Sambre as far into France as we wanted to go. There will definitely be more later!

      Delete
  2. No apologies necessary, Val. The pictures tell the story. So glad you were both able to get out on the river! Happy fairing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We feel incredibly blessed that we’ve been able to go where we wanted. I hope you’ve had a wonderful summer too, but I’ll catch up with you blog very soon. We are now at the historic lifts in Belgium on our way home, so signals are improving!

      Delete
  3. Good to see you're "somewhere else" now. I enjoyed seeing these photo's, that lock is really deep. Your boat is very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. We are delighted to have been able to get so far given the water shortages. I’ll be writing real blogs soon and hopefully our route will become clear. Some of these locks are so huge, it’s mind boggling!

      Delete
  4. It looks like a wonderful trip! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been, Kathleen. Just wonderful! Thank you, my dear.

      Delete
  5. What lovely memories. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Outstanding photos. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. It’s a bit disjointed, but I’ll sort that out soon.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)