Sunday, July 17, 2022

The Waiting Game

Some of you may have noticed I haven't been posting as much as usual. This, my dear blogging friends, is not because I'm losing interest in my blog. Far from it. No, the problem is more that while much has been happening in our lives, it is not the kind of thing I post here. I try and keep this place for news about our watery life and travels, and sadly, there hasn't yet been much of that to write (home) about recently.

But...things are now looking up. The dreaded opvoer pump has now been replaced by an electric 'fuel transfer pump', sent to us 'free and for gratis' by the company that sold us the engine. I think they were so fed up with us bleating at them because the original wouldn't run consistently, they are hoping this will be the salve to make us shut up.

Koos has mounted it and established it works. Now, we are emptying the diesel from the tank and plan to replace it with new, fresh, fiendishly expensive diesel tomorrow, so as not to risk any further fuel problems. Once again, we await developments.

Added to the waiting game we've been playing with the engine, it appears we might also have to wait for the water levels to rise a little too before heading into France. The weather has been dry and warm for so long, there are serious water shortages and many canals have been closed. As I heard it from a Facebook friend, the route we want to take has been alright up to now, so fingers crossed we'll make it to the Sambre again this year. We can only be grateful that this part of the world isn't having the terrible fires they are experiencing in Portugal, Spain and France as a result of the intense heat. Mind you, our forecast is for 36C tomorrow and 39C on Tuesday, so we're hardly cool here.

In any event, we are hoping to be off and away in a week or so. The waiting is almost over. Wish us luck!

Meanwhile, I am still attending to my old girl in Oudenbosch, where I spend some time every week. We are planning some away days with her in September, so I've been quietly smooshing up her decks in anticipation.


A second coat on the foredeck

Repainted aft cabin and engine room roofs

I've also taken a bit of time out for some fun rides on my 'Tommy' moped. My eldest daughter has one now as well, so last week, we went out for a ride around the dykes together, and a good time was had by all, mopeds included. 




Last, but not (I trust) least. I have a new book out. It's taken me five years to write and seven months to edit, so I'm more than a little relieved to have released this particular labour of love into the world. 


Have a great week allemaal, and I hope I'll be posting from the water next time. Wouldn't that be something?

9 comments:

  1. From cover to cover and including the cover - a beautiful book. Thanks for releasing it, Val! And happy travels. It is not as warm here and I'm feeling a bit left out! I think it got just a bit over 70, but we have SUN! Yay! Thanks for keeping your blogs going. You are amazing. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph, thank you so much! I'm incredibly grateful for your lovely review of the book. Be thankful it's not too hot there, my friend. I love the heat, but not the humidity that goes with it in this part of the world. We will have 41C today, which I believe is almost 106F plus high humidity.

      Delete
  2. Val, your boats look beautiful and ready for take-off. I'm happy to hear that the hot weather is not adversely affecting you there. Also, I love the pictures of you and daughter on your mopeds. And the book was well worth the work because of all the rave reviews! Your vacation is well-deserved! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Lynn. Vereeniging is another labour of love, but she appreciates the care :) As for my book, you made my day with your lovely review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed it and am more than grateful others have liked it too.

      Delete
  3. It's good to hear of the progress you've been making, Val; and that you've almost won the waiting game. I look forward to reading about your faring soon. We're still waiting! All the best with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you, Roger. We're having a couple of quiet days due to the heat here today, but we'll hopefully finish preparing for departure soon. We'll just have to see what water's left and where before we really know where we're going! I hope you can get going again before long.

      Delete
  4. I hope you can get out on the canals and look forward to seeing photo's from your travels. The little mopeds look great fun. 😊 🐕 🐢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Davis. It looks as if we’re ready to go, so hopefully tomorrow or Thursday. I’ll post as often as I can .

      Delete
  5. Hi Val - great to know your Hennie is on its way for its September outing ... while the moped looks an easy way to get around ... good idea - cheers Hilary

    PS I've worked back since August's post, now to comment forward!

    ReplyDelete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)