Sunday, May 08, 2022

The magnificence of May

I can't remember such a long, dry period in spring as we've been having lately. Granted the past few years have shown an increasing tendency to sunny, rain-free Aprils, but this current spell has been going on for weeks. Not that I'm complaining; well, maybe just a bit. The sandy dust everywhere is dreadful. We keep calling it Sahara sand, but now I think it's just plain old, Dutch stuff. Bearing in mind this country's built on one massive sandpit, I think we are producing enough of our own without the help of the Sahara.

But despite the lack of wet stuff, the countryside has erupted into the most gloriously vivid, luscious and opulent growth. The first photo below was taken two weeks ago. I thought the grass next to my Vereeniging had gone mad within a week, but then last week (see second pic), it had exploded even further and the cow parsley (fluitenkruid as it's called here) has taken over and is completely dominating our roadsides. 

Instead of walking down the bank to reach my barge, I have to beat a track through the undergrowth that now reaches to my waist. I wouldn't mind if it was just grass and cow parsley, but there are large clumps of nettles among them too. They've caught me out a couple of times already, sneaking up my trouser legs, and have given a new meaning to the phrase 'a sting in the tail' when I've slipped and fallen in them. Ahem... I'll confess to having resorted to some very earthy expletives to match my surroundings on these occasions.



Nevertheless, I really love May and all its profuse glory, especially now the sun is gaining some real muscle. With today being Mother's Day here in the Netherlands, there was no better way to spend it than having a picnic on deck, which is what we did with snacks provided by my daughter so I didn't have to make anything. Given how averse I am to cooking at any time, this was the best treat possible. But we couldn't sit out for all too long; with the deck in the full blast of the sun, it was even too hot for me, which is saying something. 


We have definite plans to venture out onto the local waters this month, so fingers crossed I'll be sharing some photos from the river rather than the bank very soon. Meanwhile, the Hennie H is giving us a few more headaches again. I won't say more about it now, because that's another story for another post, but suffice to say all is not entirely well with our little faring friend yet. Sigh!

Have a great week allemaal, and I hope the sun keeps shining on you wherever you are. 

6 comments:

  1. Cow Parsley is my favourite of all the wild flowers, like you Im enjoying the roadside verges going mad with it. Making the most of it though, we saw the first of the cutters along a roadside yesterday.
    Great photo's and I'm looking forward to more along your magnificent rivers. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, David, I'm always sad when the cutters start mowing down all the wonderful verges. Fortunately, they haven't started here yet as they usually wait until the spring flowers have seeded, for which I'm grateful. Hopefully, we'll have more news and views from the rivers soon. Thank you as always for reading and commenting on my blog.

      Delete
  2. Everything looks so lush and green! But we do no need a good soaking. Last night's rain was decidedly underwhelming! I hope the Hennie H troubles are resolved soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. Yes, the rain here was a bit minimal wasn’t it? We really need some more. I never thought I’d be saying that!

      Delete
  3. Love Netherlands especially Maken Island. Had been there twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you must come back again, Haddock, and take some of your lovely photos too!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)