Wednesday, February 09, 2022

Seeking out stories in Belgium

I'm a bit late with my blog again this week, for which I apologise. I'm finding it difficult to keep up with everything I want to do alongside my work and my own writing has been suffering as a result. I've got so many DIY jobs to sort out I'm having to keep a list. Yes, me. I never keep lists, but this one's on the fridge so I can't lose it. There are admin jobs to do as well, which I've been putting off, but won't be able to do so for much longer. Mr Taxman waits for no man, or in my case, woman.

But having said that, we did make a brief escape last weekend. For just one lovely day on Saturday, the sun shone for most of the day albeit with a biting cold wind. I think you can even see the clouds moving in my photo below. It was very chilly, but lovely to get out. We did a brief incursion across the border into Belgium where we found a lovely walk along an old railway line. These were the views we saw.


Once the wind got too cold, we escaped back into the car and went for a drive ending up in the border town of Assenede. I was about to say it's a village, but I'm not sure that would be correct. It's actually quite large and seems to go on forever, but right near the centre, we found this fascinating corner.



The photo above shows the sign marking what used to be an old harbour. There's nothing there now and the waterway has long gone, but Assenede used to have a small but busy port on a waterway called the Braakmanbaai. The sign below tells us that the harbour allowed flat-bottomed boats almost into the centre of Assenede where they could load and offload. However, it was already out of use in the 16th century due to silting. I think it's remarkable that the sign and information are still kept here. A nice piece of history that captured my imagination. Apparently there's a stream running through the middle of the old harbour channel, but we didn't see any sign of it.

Another interesting snippet from Assenede, and this time a more quirky one, is told by these two photos below. The odd sculpture of a man eating a stone derives from the story in the sign, which tells us that several centuries ago, the people of Assenede spent what was considered to be a wasteful amount of money on having their village street paved with stone. This expense came back to bite them when during a crisis (probably a famine) in the 19th century, the residents of the village were starving and had no money to buy food. The story goes that the people of the surrounding villages mocked the good folk of Assenede by saying they'd have to eat stones instead; hence the rather alarming looking sculpture. It seems a bit unfair on them really given that it was probably their forebears who committed the costly folly.



It's amazing what we find in these out of the way places, isn't it? Incidentally, just behind our stone-eating man is a bollen pitch, which is a kind of bowles. At the moment it's covered in a protective tarpaulin, but when the warmer weather comes, we'll be able to see the older folk of the village playing their traditional game here too.


This last photo is of the track that runs along the edge of the old harbour. It's private property, but I rather liked the collection of red brick buildings at the back there.

Altogether, it was a lovely uitje as the Dutch might call it, and it did us good to do something different for a change. Hopefully, there'll be more of these excursions in the weeks to come, weather permitting.

Enjoy the rest of your week allemaal, and I'll be back to catch up with you all soon.

 

19 comments:

  1. What a fantastic little adventure. I love learning about all these out of the way little spots and their histories! Love the bit about eating stone! Local legends provide a fascinating glimpse into what life must have been like back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I agree. It makes my day to find these fascinating spots and the stories attached to them.

      Delete
  2. Lovely blogpost! Im happy you enjoyed your outing! Assenede is not that far from us half hour driving I think. Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're creeping closer to St Niklaas, Kathleen. Thank you, my friend.

      Delete
  3. I love the way you can, indeed, sense the clouds roaring across the sky! The sculpture of the man with the stone reminded me a lot of medieval grotesques. I could imagine it stuck on the wall of some old church, to illustrate some sin like greed or folly. In an English context, that kind of thing would represent the peasant/Flemish side of our culture which ran alongside the more elegant Norman one for a few centuries in the Middle Ages. So I was interested to see that tradition continuing in Belgium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you here, Jenny. Thanks for the interesting observation about the peasant/Flemish culture. I must say it reminded me of the legends of the sin-eater as well. Given that the story of the 'stone-eater' originates in the 19th century, it's not that old, historically speaking, so yes, the culture probably remains to some degree.

      Delete
  4. Love this! And that top photo, the one you've used for the tweet - I was peering at it, not sure whether or not it was a painting. Gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, TT. The downside of my phone camera is that it isn't very good, which makes all the photos a bit smudgy. The upside is that it gives many of them a kind of painterly look, which I quite like.

      Delete
  5. As always, an interesting blog. I really enjoy seeing what you get up to in your "spare" time and looking at the pictures of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you so much, Brenda. I'm so pleased you enjoy these meanderings of mine.

      Delete
  6. Such beautiful pictures, loved reading about your outting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pooja. I'm really glad you enjoyed them :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely post, Val. Even a single day out can make a huge difference, Can't it? Definitely good for the health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roger. It can indeed. I hope you're both well. I haven't seen a post from you in a while, so I hope it's just because you're busy with life!

      Delete
    2. I'm not really doing anything that merits a blog post, Val. Lots of work being done in the house and garden. Boring!

      Delete
  8. This looks like it was a marvellous adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lydia. It was a great excursion, if just a short one!

      Delete
  9. I loved this outing, Val! I'm so glad the sun shone for you. I love social history discoveries such as these. The sculpture, information about the waterway and the bollen pitch, all terrific. Thanks so much. And good luck with the dreaded admin! :/ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Beth, thank you too, so much! It was a lovely day and such fun to find these snippets of local history! And yes, I still have to do that admin....aarrrgh!!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)