Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Come, what May?

The merry month of May, it is. Or is it? I’ve enjoyed playing with words for this post title more than the the month itself. I usually love May as it's when the weather warms up and we can spend more time outside, doing gardening, painting and boat work. Well, we've had one warm day so far, and that was followed by a humdinger of a thunderstorm, but I have to say that these first twelve days of the month have just been plain cold.

Luckily, the trees and flowers don't seem to shrivel up the way I do, although I have a feeling the full leaf effect of the spring is a bit meagre this year. I took the photos below on a recent bike ride near the Hennie H's harbour, along the sea canal that I love, and I think you'll agree the trees could be doing better.

The buttercups, on the other hand, are gorgeous this year, and since we had the tree in the garden trimmed (or rather amputated), I've just let all the wild flowers do their thing and I'm not weeding at all. It's so liberating, I must say. My excuse is that it's for the bees, but I'm rather enjoying that sense of  release from worrying about the meadow taking over. The only things I'm pulling up are the nettles, which would just swamp everything else, given the chance.


 Meanwhile, Koos has been busy with the engine installation on the HH, and he's nearly ready to call the expert to check things over before we turn the key and get it all going. It's getting 'spannend' as the Dutch call the feeling, which is not so much exciting as... well ... exciting with a dash of tension. He's done an amazing job yet again and I cannot even claim to have held the spanners because I've been busy working most of the time he's been beavering away.  

Anyway, having written and published my book about our last travels, it's time we got going again to give me more fuel for my writing hobby. I have no idea where or how far we can go at the moment, but we'll definitely be going somewhere. 

As for the situation here, our curfew is over, and the cafés are open again to customers, but only outside. However, they still have to close at 6 p.m. so our evenings in the Oude Haven remain peaceful (there are some blessings). Here are a few photos taken from my Vereeniging of the busy terraces last weekend.




Wishing you a good week and weekend allemaal. And hopefully the next post will speak of warmer, brighter climes.

12 comments:

  1. It seems to be permanently cold doesn't it? Certainly all through April (the coldest for many years they're saying) but I did think that once May arrived it would warm up a bit. Er... no. But lovely photos, Val.

    Cath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cath. Yes, I hoped it would warm up too, but it seems we must wait a bit longer this year, Cath. Fingers crossed we get some kind of summer this year!

      Delete
  2. Poor you, Val. This is a good news, bad news blog, isn't it? It has been cold and miserable and your poor trees are still naked. But the flowers are glorious and I'm so happy you will get to go again. Thanks for keeping your blog going. It's always a joy to read. (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Steph, although I’m not sure we’ll be able to go very far. We Dutchies are persona non grata across the border!

      Delete
  3. It seems we have the same weather over here right now - cool, with some nasty thunderstorms. The garden love the rain. So good to see you have some outdoor dining happening, and Yay, Cubist houses sighting!
    Hope it warms up soon, and meantime enjoy the buttercups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you s much Patricia. My apologies for catching up with you so late. I have a feeling the whole world is having the same kind of weather at the moment. It's very odd. At least the rain is welcome in your part of the world!

      Delete
  4. Crazy, isn't it? The weather's no better here, and the forecast doesn't promise any better. But it's good to hear that the possibility of faring has improved. I'm looking forward to hearing about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for the late response, Roger. I've been up to my ears in work recently and haven't caught up with my blog or anyone else's for that matter. I must do the rounds! I'm looking forward to hear about your faring too :)

      Delete
  5. Hello my dear Val, another wonderful blog post.
    I agree it is certainly a cold, wet and miserable May so far. We said the same thing about trees round here, they do not seem to be in full leaf bloom. Not that we have had much time for rambling this month. Hopefully Summer will be better than Spring.
    It is lovely to see places slowly opening up, we have been able to sit outside bars since 12th April, Monday 17th May saw them opening up inside with table service.
    Well done Koos, you are doing a marvellous job, fingers crossed all is well with HH's engine. I look forward to reading your latest book, it is sitting patiently on my kindle.
    Hoping travel will soon be on your agenda. In the meantime, take care my lovely friend and, thank you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Linda, what a lovely upbeat comment. It's good to hear you are moving towards normal life again. Let's hope that gives hope for a lovely summer. Now we just need the weather to cooperate. Bless for your kind comment about my book, and yes, fingers crossed for a start to our travelling possibilities again! I agree. Koos has done a phenomenal job! Thank you, my dear friend XXX

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)