Sunday, March 21, 2021

A ripple in my routine

This last week has been a bit different from the usual routines that we've fallen into since lockdown and curfew have become part of our lives. Two events occurred to disrupt the pattern I've personally fallen into of work, walk, work and write. The first of these was a national event of some importance and a great occasion for me personally. 

We had an election on March the 17th, a day more commonly known for being St Patrick's Day. Mind you, there wasn't much of St Patricke's favourite colour about the voting results because the Green party here (Groenlinks) didn't do so well. That said, the Animal Rights party (Partij voor de Dieren), which is also focused on environmental issues, had a better showing and managed to gain two seats. However, the outcome was very much as predicted and Prime Minister Rutte is set to serve another term as head of the government, albeit with a different mix of parties in the coalition (probably).

So why was it an occasion for me, you might ask. Well, it's the first time I've ever been able to vote in a national election here and is actually my first vote since 1994 in South Africa – that momentous year when Nelson Mandela became president. So yes, 27 years (the same number as Mandela spent on Robben Island) since I've been entitled to cast my ballot. I even got a red pencil to mark the occasion – okay, everyone did, but I'm keeping mine as a souvenir! And yes again, it felt pretty good to walk to the voting station and have my say. The right to vote is one I value, given that it's been so long since I've had that right.

The other change in my routine was the start of a new course in what is today's face-to-face mode: Zoom. It's been a few months since I've sat in front of my computer screen and talked to students in real time. So far this year, all my courses have been asynchronous although they've been pretty intense and a lot of work. As a result, it was both refreshing as well as slightly nerve-wracking to be on the spot again and explaining things verbally. My students are lovely, though, and it all went well so I am looking forward to the coming weeks with them.

All that aside, I'm still doing my best to continue my daily walks. Sunshine hasn't been too plentiful of late, but when it comes out, I'm out there marching through mud and mire to maintain my minimum of 4kms a day.  The photos below are of my tramp through the puddles on the nature reserve near our canal on Friday.









Then yesterday, Koos and I discovered a lovely new wooded area to the east of the crumbly cottage. It lies on the Belgian border and is in what is called a water collection and extraction area. In Dutch this is called waterwinning. What this means is that the acres on which the woods stand are designated for 'winning' drinking water and irrigation from the ground. Throughout the woods there are deep channels that look like moats and it is from these and the water table below that our potable water is drawn. The woods and the water are protected but the locals are still allowed to enjoy the forest paths and walk there with their families and dogs. It was a beautiful discovery and I'm pretty sure we'll be going there again.

Belgian border post
Remember No. 1 in last week's post?


Koos with his personal prosthesis :)
 
A dry channel in the waterwin area


One of the water collection channels in the waterwin area

Looking into Belgium from the Dutch side of the woods
Note the Belgian border post seen in close-up above.

I'm itching to get going with painting on the Vereeniging and the Hennie H again, but despite the sunshiny photos, it's still pretty cold and so not good for paintwork. I know to my cost in both effort and money it's not worth trying to paint when the overnight temperatures are under 10C. Before it is properly dried and set, the paint can be badly damaged by the cold, which is what happened when I pushed my luck last autumn. I know. I'll just have to be patient.

Anyway, for now I'm busy enough. Have a good week allemaal and I'll catch up with you all again soon.

20 comments:

  1. What a lovely lace to go walking, it looks cool and inviting to me. Waterwinning is a new term to me, but sounds really interesting. A change from building mighty dams, as happens in Australia. I hope Spring emerges soon, and you are able to get on with the painting. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, waterwinning was new to me as well, but I like the way it protects land, conserves trees and also gives people a lovely place to walk as well as being a 'reservoir.' Really special!

      Delete
  2. Read about the elections. Hopefully you are enjoying the changes in your routine. Haven't on-premise classes resumed in the Netherlands?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pradeep. Nice to see you again. Actually, no, we have no face-to-face classes yet. The primary schools are back, but not the secondary and higher education classes yet.

      Delete
  3. Many congratulations on voting, Val, what a momentous occasion for you! Ha ha ha, I love Koo's prosthesis, he does do awfully well with it. :D And those country scenes are heavenly, the perfect setting for your daily treks. Thanks for this lovely account, I adore your blogs! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, dear Beth. That is lovely to hear. Yes, Koos and his prosthesis are inseparable. I am sure something would go very wrong if he lost that. It is his other limb! :D xxx

      Delete
  4. Another fascinating blog Val. I can quite understand why you were so pleased to be able to vote. It’s something we should never take for granted. I enjoyed reading about your walks and about the Waterwinning. Good luck with your teaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rebecca. I am pleased you enjoy them. I love sharing these new discoveries with everyone, and the waterwinning was new for me too! I'll keep you posted on my teaching :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely new adventure, blog, and photos. What a pretty area for walking/slogging through the mud! Hopefully you will get sun and dry weather soon - and warm!!! (Steph)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph. Yes, it is a pretty area and lovely when the sun shines. I am so looking forward to some warmer weather too. It's still very cold!

      Delete
  6. We have waterwins here in California, too. Large flat areas are surrounded by dikes and what little rain water there is is funneled into them so it can percolate into the aquifers below; sort of like dammed lakes underground.
    Beautiful hiking around but agree about the bad weather for painting. Don't waste that time and expensive coverage!
    Hi! to Koos and his appendage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have described the waterwinning perfectly, Don and Cathy Jo! I’d never have thought of using the word percolating but that’s exactly right. And dammed underground lakes is what they are too. Thank you. Yes, the weather is frustrating because it’s dry and sunny, but just too cold. What’s the betting it will be wet by the time it’s warm enough? 😂 Murphy’s law! I hope you’re both well, particularly you, Don. It’s always good to see you here.

      Delete
    2. I am well, Val, thanks. A year past treatments and all is still clear. Had my second jab last week. Cathy Jo is awaiting hers as she's not "of the age" until next month. We're watching the situation in France hopeful that we'll be able to make the trip over in June? July?

      Delete
    3. Let’s keep everything crossed for that! We haven’t been offered jabs yet, not even Koos, who is in the risk group, so who knows?

      Delete
  7. As usual, a wonderful blog Val, I love reading it. Congratulations on securing your vote Val. What a lovely place to walk, a lovely new adventure for you and Koos. Beautiful photos, it all looks so picturesque, thank you. Good luck with your teaching. Keep well and safe my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I'm so pleased you enjoyed it. We have to limit ourselves to small adventures these days, but they are lovely, as you know. Love to you and Jono! xxx

      Delete
  8. I envy you the availability of decent walks, Val. Our largely urban tramps have become rather boring. How we long to be back on the canals again! Incidentally, I've only just become aware of your recent books, and now have the two African tales. I'll start reading this evening - looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear you are now confined to urban walks, Roger. I hope you can get back to your lovely Kantara before too long and then you can resume your country strolls. Thank you for getting my books by the way. I do hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for a most interesting blog Val! 27 years since you voted in South Africa! Wow! You are well and truly a Dutch Citizen at last! Congratulations! The photos of the woods are amazing! Your blog has given many people great pleasure! Well done! Jean Henrickson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jean. I'm so pleased to know you enjoyed my blog. Yes, it's my 20 year anniversary here this year. Hard to believe, but I've been here as long as I was in SA now, even though it doesn't feel as long.

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)