Sunday, October 18, 2015

The finished product

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a photo of the storage space I'd started building on the Vereeniging. It's not totally finished yet. There's still a bit of paintwork to be done and I want to make shelves inside the 'box' or 'kist' as we called it in South Africa, but for the most part, it's done and I'm quite pleased with the space it gives me for hiding a lot of my clutter.

So, drum roll…here it is…(for those of you who haven't seen it already on FB.com):




I've added the trim and given it a 'skirting' board to compensate for the uneven shape of my hull. It's also painted the same colour as the panels above it. The lid comes off and inside there will be shelves like trays with handles so I can just lift them out easily to get at the things that are stored underneath. In essence this will be my DIY storage space, and I'm very happy to hide it away as the table is where I sit to do my work.

The only risk is the amount of stuff that might get piled on top….this is, after all, me. And I might not be the tidiest person in the world...

13 comments:

  1. Val, your stowage looks to be very professionally finished and no matter how untidy you might be, you are the one who has to live with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe. (I'm lucky if I can make a paper plane!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Val - you talented woman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it looks very stylish, and very professional Val. I'm sure it will be a joy to use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo shipshape, in every sense!xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all. It's a pretty simple construction, but the trim hides the sins. I'm very happy with the extra space though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always so impressed by your renovations. Well done, you! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Val - well done and you've the right idea and that's main thing. It's good you can do this sort of thing - I can't, but am sure if I'd started young I could have done. We come from that sort of family - but it passed me by. If I need help I'll give you a shout out!! It's brilliant and I love the idea of shelf-trays to lift things in and out.

    Good for you - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary! I've loved doing this sort of thing since I was in my teens, so it's a long term hobby :)

      Delete
  9. What a professional job Val,and my mum and gran would have called it a kist too. I always thought it was a Scottish word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that interesting, Anne? I've only known it in South Africa and here, but I often see connections between Dutch and Scottish!

      Delete

Apologies for switching on comment moderation, but this is to make sure everyone can comment without jumping through captcha hoops!

If you aren’t a Google member, you can comment anonymously, but please would you give your name. I like to reply to a person personally :)